Do i need wifi router? or USB wifi Adapter will do the Job

coldhart

Jul 16, 2012
my pocket is full of hole becoz of purchasing of Asus zenfone 6 (for me) & zenfone 5 (for sis). i want to share my pc internet connection with smartphone so do i need wifi router or any usb wifi adapter will do the job if so suggest me some good usb wifi adapter & wifi router without Modem (i will buy any one of them). is there any pro of wifi router over wifi adapter?thanks in advance.
budget ~2000 Rs

Last edited:

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If you currently have just a modem for your internet connection then a router is what you need to allow multiple devices to have access to the internet.

I can't really recommend a device since I don't know what is available in your country.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
If the Wireless coverage invented to be use in a small house or apartment , you can turn the PC to a Wireless Router for this purpose.

Buy inexpensive USB adapter and use this free software.

http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/

Example for a good USB Wireless - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166068

Do not plug it directly to the computer use a few feet of USB extesion cable to put it high above the system so that the Antenna will Not be obstructed.

:cool:

code65536

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2006
You can use a PC as a router and access point... but it's really not a good idea. You're far better off getting a wireless router.

Someone suggested the RT-N66U. I would not recommend that. It's overpriced (plus, there are very, very few 3-stream client devices, and if you're spending that kind of money, you might as well get 11ac instead of 11n). Something more modest would give you far better value, if budget is a concern.

coldhart

Jul 16, 2012
ASUS RT-N66U cost more than 11000 Rs. so i bought Dlink DIR-803 Wireless AC750 Dual Band Router which costs around 2500 Rs bcoz seller said its compatible with broadband. but online video
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uC1wOtgao4
shows its connected to modem but my isp didn't given me modem i have pppoe ethernet connection so is it possible to connect cable directly to the router?
Im not Networking Pro just beginner so plz reply

sonitravel09

Jun 25, 2014
Check D-Link DWR 512 Router. It works well for me.
It consists of Ethernet ports & RJ 11 ports. It has a SIM card slot which supports 2G & 3G networks.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Hmmm. You want to do what I did off the bat as an iPhone Noob -- one week's experience so far.

If you don't yet have a router for your house, perhaps using a computer RJ-45 and twisted pair to connect directly to the ISP's modem, -- yes -- you need a router.

How many users and computers in your house? Do you have a laptop with wireless capability?

A decent router is a one-time investment (until outmoded by newer technology and models). I'm still rocking a CISCO E2000, but looking for a replacement that offers simultaneous 2.4 and 5.0 bands. If you're connecting other PCs, you'd want the four (or so) LAN ports to provide gigabit or 10/100/1000 speed, but 10/100 would probably do for now.

I think I paid $80 for my E2000. "Higher end" could mean $140 or more.

A "tech-buddy" of mine tipped me to a NETIS wireless router on sale at the EGG for $15. The ports are only 10/100. We were thinking of using them as wireless access points (which can be done, as JackMDS will tell you). But the 10/100 ports would limit the wireless output.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
ASUS RT-N66U cost more than 11000 Rs. so i bought Dlink DIR-803 Wireless AC750 Dual Band Router which costs around 2500 Rs bcoz seller said its compatible with broadband. but online video
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uC1wOtgao4
shows its connected to modem but my isp didn't given me modem i have pppoe ethernet connection so is it possible to connect cable directly to the router?
Im not Networking Pro just beginner so plz reply

Just configure your WAN connection for PPPoE in the settings. Enter your credentials in the router. Change the router's admin password so no-one can steal your credentials.