Question Do I need to install monitor drivers?

dejtamibabe

May 5, 2024
Are only the graphics card drivers responsible for displaying the image, or is it also recommended to look for monitor drivers? In practice, all I need to do is install the graphics card drivers and all monitor resolutions and refresh rates (Hz) are available. The monitor driver is usually a file with the extension inf. I use a Hewlett-Packard LA2205 HWP2847 monitor. Is there any difference with and without the installed driver with the inf extension for the monitor?
If I connect the monitor to the computer with a VGA cable but I have other types of connectors available on the monitor and graphics card, does this mean that I am wasting the potential of the monitor and does this make the image look worse?
There is often an option to force higher resolutions, for example 1920x1080, which the monitor does not support. Does this damage the monitor?
Is it possible to force a higher refresh rate on the monitor than 60Hz? Does 60 Hz on a monitor mean a limit to 60 FPS display in games?
I have some unwanted CRT monitors. Can these monitors be sold for or if I wanted to get rid of them and just give them to someone for free? Is it true that 30-year-old games display better on CRT monitors than on LCD or LED monitors?
There are a lot of articles on Google that old CRT monitors are now worth a lot because they are no longer produced and that they contain some valuable metals, is this true?

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I've never seen any difference with monitor .inf files installed. I do it anyways so I can see "Benq" in device manager. :)

I haven't had a video card with VGA connections for at least a decade. Unsupported resolution rate can look really bad, but shouldn't hurt anything.
Higher refresh rates can damage a monitor, but may just give you an "out of range" message, and not display anything.

I've never done either, don't see any point.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Need to? No.

If you are encountering issues is it a potential troubleshooting step? Sure.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Too many questions at once!

A monitor driver can give a more accurate color profile, but you can adjust it yourself.

If you have compatible digital connections available for both the monitor and video output of the computer, use that instead of analog. Yes it can make the image worse, typically with a low quality or long cable, or HD resolutions with medium or higher refresh rates. The digital connection will almost always be a tiny bit if not a lot better. It will never be worse.

You cannot force a higher resolution than the monitor supports, even if you see some setting that suggests otherwise. Either it just won't try or the monitor will stop displaying an image until it is set back to a compatible resolution. Same is true for refresh rate in *most* cases, LCD monitors are smarter at avoiding damage than CRT were.

If your monitor specs support only to 60Hz then it is unlikely to support enough higher to bother trying. Why try all this when it won't make nearly the difference that replacing the monitor will?

LA2205 HWP2847 appears to be a 1680x1050, 22" very old monitor. It may not even have much of its lifespan remaining and is due for an upgrade.

What to do with CRT monitors depends on where you are located. In the US, I doubt that even goodwill will take them, and if your local garbage pickup will no longer take them (which is common) then your 3 remaining options are:

1) Advertise them as free on craigslist, facebook marketplace, etc

2) Pay a recycling center to take it.

3) Find a recycling program that takes them for free.

They have no value unless it is something very special, I don't see the point in trying to sell them unless you live in a 3rd world country with a terrible shortage of monitors.

No, old games don't display better on an old CRT, depending on your definition of better. The old games used lower pixel density so a CRT can blur those big pixels to look smoother but then it still looks less crisp, so highly subjective whether that is better or worse, but it would at least look more nostalgic to see the game as it appeared back when it was released. Personally, I have no desire to ever use a CRT monitor or TV again for any reason.

No there is not anything of special value in an old CRT monitor. Most didn't even have gold plated electrical contacts so there isn't even that angle that many PC components have for recycling value.

They are mostly a liability in needing to find an inexpensive way to get rid of them, or to use as a boat anchor. ;)