Do I need CAT6 cable for gigabit ethernet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I recently purchased a trendnet gigabit router. I have it hooked up to my PC and my PS3 via CAT5e cables. It is only connecting at 100mbps. Do I need CAT6 cables for it to connect at 1000mbps? The cable to my PC is 6', and its 25' to my PS3.

TIA

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Could be bad or low quality cables.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well. I was gonna go straight to CAT7 stuff but it's really expensive. I'll grab some CAT6 cables tomorrow. Thanks for your help! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
CAT7 is extreme overkill for home networking (I am assuming this is home networking). That said, if it was a rack in a datacenter, I would get the CAT7 as the cost of upgrading to newer wire when 40 or 100 gigabit networks are in place will be more than the cost of just putting it in now.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Cat6 goes up to 10Gbps. 7 would be overkill.

I was having an issue w\ my computer not too long ago connecting at 10Mbps. Turned out that I didn't terminate the cable properly.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Cat6 goes up to 10Gbps. 7 would be overkill.

I was having an issue w\ my computer not too long ago connecting at 10Mbps. Turned out that I didn't terminate the cable properly.

This is way more common than one might think. Its easy to terminate wrong.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I got some CAT6 cables and all is well now, aside from the fact that my PS3 seems to top out at 20mb/sec instead of the 60-70mb/sec I thought it would be capable of.

In any event it's better than what it was with 10/100. Thanks everyone for your input! :)

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
I got some CAT6 cables and all is well now, aside from the fact that my PS3 seems to top out at 20mb/sec instead of the 60-70mb/sec I thought it would be capable of.

In any event it's better than what it was with 10/100. Thanks everyone for your input! :)

Are you attempting to connect the PS3 to the outside world? The 20Mb/s is more likely to be your Internet connection to the outside world, instead of the internal LAN connection. A Gigabit router won't increase your Internet connection that your ISP has limited you to.

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
I have all Cat6 cables from monoprice running between my PC, Dlink gigabit switch, & PS3. It also helps to just copy HD video files over to the PS3's hard drive before watching them.

According to PS3 media server the connected speeds between my PC & PS3 is 341Mbps. So I think somethingsketchy is right about you being ISP limited.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Are you attempting to connect the PS3 to the outside world? The 20Mb/s is more likely to be your Internet connection to the outside world, instead of the internal LAN connection. A Gigabit router won't increase your Internet connection that your ISP has limited you to.

No. I have my PS3 hooked up directly to a gigabit switch, which my PC is also connected to. From there, my switch is hooked up to my router which is hooked up to the internet.

The 20mb/s is the speed I'm getting between my PC and my PS3.

I'm going to give ps3 media server a try instead of tversity and see what happens.

Do you guys know if jumbo frames will help at all?

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
From what I'm reading, 20mb/sec is common for the PS3. For some reason you don't get true gigabit speeds with it.

It's disappointing.

tcoburn

Sep 20, 2013
tacoburn.com
another thing about your thread that crossed my mind was,

if your PS3 is connected to a gigabit switch, then your also limited to what speed the router is capibie of.

For instance, even if your 'switch' is gigabit, if the switch isn't connected to a gigabit router, then you'll only get 100mbps max because your routers eithernet ports don't support gigabit. Just a thought I had.

I am having a similar problem at my house. I have a linksys N900 router which is gigabit ready, but my computer uses cat5e cabling that I purchased at a store, I can't see well enough to splice my own cabling I learned how to do it thru compTIA network+ class in college but can't see well enough to actually do it, but anyway I'm only getting 100 mbps speeds too so may have to update to cat6 cabling myself

although I'm using my motherboards onboard nic so that could have something to do with it too I dunno.

my internet speeds clock in at like 64-65 mbps so I'm starting to wish I had gotten an AC router, but then my Roku and iphones only support N mode anyway so oh well.

but getting giigabit speeds instead of 100 speeds have been my biggest issue until I read this, now I'm thinking I may have to get cat6 cabling too.

Last edited:

unixwizzard

Jan 17, 2013
I have to ask, what do you mean by not connecting at 1 Gbps?

Are you saying that the ethernet card is reporting only a 100 Mbps connection, or are you expecting 1 Gbps speeds and are not getting anywhere close?

If the ethernet is connecting to the switch at 100 Mbps, first off, to state the obvious, make sure the card is in fact a gig-ethernet card. After that, try a different cable, followed by making sure latest driver is installed, and finally make sure the card's properties are set for max speed. If Auto-negotiate is not enabled, try that. Last option would be instead of auto-negotiate, set the card to run at 1.0 Gbps full duplex and see if that works.

As far as switching to cat6, 5 or 5e should work fine.. FWIW my main PC here connects @ 1 Gbps just fine through about 125' of cat5 I ran from the basement to my 3rd floor sometime back in 2004/5

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
1. What is not connecting at Gigabit? The PC or the PS3, or both?

2. Gigabit requires all 8(4 pair) cables in the cable to be terminated correctly, check your cables. I have seen cat5e cables with only 4 cables (2 pair) because they're cheap.

3. Cat 5e and up is all Gigabit rated. I have a cable run from my basement to my media room, it's Cat5e STP, gigabit is not a problem.

4. My Xbox 360 (I know, it's not a PS3) only supports 10/100, maybe the PS3 just doesn't support gigabit?

5. I would not recommend Jumbo frames unless you make damn sure that the PS3, the switch, and the PC all support it.

6. Keep in mind that if you are using auto-negotiation, then if there's any issues negotiating to gigabit speeds, it will default to 100mbit - half duplex (iirc)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.