Question Do I need a patch cable with a POE injector inline to computer?

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
Title kind of states it.

I've got a four port PFSense box that I'm hoping to connect an Aruba instant AP215 directly to one of the NICs. I've got a stand-alone GIGABIT POE injector. Yes, a bit of an odd setup but I'm doing some physical network segmentation ;)

So the question is: do I need a patch cable from the POE injector to the PFSense box? Or from POE injector to AP?

I know that if I was going with a POE switch, I wouldn't have to worry.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Think of a POE injector like this, you have a data cable and you want to add power to it. So you plug the data cable into the side that is typically labeled data, or "In" and then the other jack on the injector goes to the device requiring POE. This keeps your data portion intact but adds power on the outbound side.

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
My general remembering of network cabling is there are two wires(5/6??) that act as data. A patch cable swaps the pin out of those two wires end to end.

From what I recall, the POE spec claims an additional wire allows for power.

I'm not sure what the internals of a POE injector does.

My current experiment with my equipment has an AP connected to a stand alone POE injector to a hub then to my regular router(s) then to various computers. My goal is to remove all the extra hardware.