Do I have any future

Koharski

Jan 27, 2006
Okay, so i'm attending grade 11 right now, and i'm a bit concerned about how my future is going to roll out.

First off, some information about my courses. I'm taking Physics, French, Programming and English this term. My grades are average, i'm at 71%, 62%, 98%, 73%. With the exception of programming, there is nothing too spectacular right now. Next term I have Math principles (I think I may be able to get a low B as long as I try), Socials, Media arts and Drafting/Design.

I went to a university show this weekend. They had schools from all over the province come in to answer students questions and things. The general reaction I got was that I would have to get my grades up into the 80s if I even want my application to be looked at. One guy even went as far as to say that i'd be lucky to get into college with my grades.

so I know that i'm probably not going to get my grades up that high. I already try pretty hard in school and have decent work habits, so i'm at a loss as to what to do next.

I know I would like to work in the tech field, although i'm still not too sure what I want to do yet. Maybe I could be one of those guys who decides what kind of workstations/servers/whatever a company should buy? I don't know what that job is called.

so my question to you, ATOT, is what is your current job and what did you have to do to get there? Highschool grades/escondary education/job/current salary would be nice, but if you omit that last question I won't mind.

CLIFFS:
I have mediocre grades, and I want to know what kind of grades you had in highschool and what your current career is like.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Your life is over. Send me all your worldly goods and I'll make your last days lavish.

HS counselors have been telling students that their lives are trashed FOREVER! The reason they do this is because almost no HS's in the history of the USA adequately prepare you for the level and quantity of work required to be successful in college.

So, the thing to do is start making some decissions about what you want to do with your life and start moving towards those goals. Remember nothing is set in stone and above all you have TIME to choose the right path for you.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
There's always a local college. I know (well sort of) someone who did that and she's going to Stanford Medical School. But of course her grades were always stellar, just chose that route.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Your life is over. Send me all your worldly goods and I'll make your last days lavish.

HS counselors have been telling students that their lives are trashed FOREVER! The reason they do this is because almost no HS's in the history of the USA adequately prepare you for the level and quantity of work required to be successful in college.

So, the thing to do is start making some decissions about what you want to do with your life and start moving towards those goals. Remember nothing is set in stone and above all you have TIME to choose the right path for you.

So true.

I was an A and B student in High School, and I was shocked when I almost failed my first college class. Who knew you ACTUALLY had to READ a BOOK on you own, without being TOLD TO?!

Try to raise the grades. Colleges will be more interested if you can keep everything to at least a C and above.

Work hard now, reap the rewards later. ;)

Edit: I should specify that I just received my first degree last semester - Associates Degree of Computer Sciences, Magna Cum Laude :D

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Improve your work ethic slacker?

Or are you too busy smoking your stanky canadian grass? Stoner.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
You might want to think about a trade school. Learn a vocation in the tech field.

R

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
There is nothing wrong with community colleges and tech schools. Work may be a four letter word but it is to be reccomended for getting perspective and broadening your world. Not to mention, work allows you to buy beer and leave home. :)

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
mediocre high school grades
pretty good undergrad grades
decent LSAT
average law school grades
work for a LARGE international corporation that provides legal/financial/general information

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
OK graduated with a 2.1 GPA

Dropped out of community college

Joined the military

Recieved disability discharge.

Got a job.

Now manage a service department with a major medical manufacturer.

I need to go back to school but to be honest I tried really hard to screw up my life and career and was still able to recover

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
When I graduated from high school I did not really care about my GPA. I was making more money than I make today with a masters degree, and the work was easier. Such is not the case today. I took some classes, but college was boring, I was so sick of school. Then I traveled the world, acquired several languages and developed an interest in college. I then went to college and viewed it as a challenge, my cumulative GPA is near 4.00.

Maybe, take some time off of school, but don't stop learning, travel Canada and the USA, go to other parts of the world. Travel can be cheap and cheap travel is more educational.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Koharski
Okay, so i'm attending grade 11 right now, and i'm a bit concerned about how my future is going to roll out.

First off, some information about my courses. I'm taking Physics, French, Programming and English this term. My grades are average, i'm at 71%, 62%, 98%, 73%. With the exception of programming, there is nothing too spectacular right now. Next term I have Math principles (I think I may be able to get a low B as long as I try), Socials, Media arts and Drafting/Design.

I went to a university show this weekend. They had schools from all over the province come in to answer students questions and things. The general reaction I got was that I would have to get my grades up into the 80s if I even want my application to be looked at. One guy even went as far as to say that i'd be lucky to get into college with my grades.

so I know that i'm probably not going to get my grades up that high. I already try pretty hard in school and have decent work habits, so i'm at a loss as to what to do next.

I know I would like to work in the tech field, although i'm still not too sure what I want to do yet. Maybe I could be one of those guys who decides what kind of workstations/servers/whatever a company should buy? I don't know what that job is called.

so my question to you, ATOT, is what is your current job and what did you have to do to get there? Highschool grades/escondary education/job/current salary would be nice, but if you omit that last question I won't mind.

CLIFFS:
I have mediocre grades, and I want to know what kind of grades you had in highschool and what your current career is like.

inspiration

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
low 70's are average? christ, I'd have been kicked out of high school with those grades.

why are your grades so low? you really need to buckle down and master the basics of time management and good study habits if you don't want to waste your parents money failing out of college.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
I'd say learn a trade. Be an electrician, be a plumber, learn to machine or weld or operate a train. Find something you like doing that you don't need a college degree for (there are a surprising number of jobs out there). Hopefully you have a contact that you can lean on for an apprenticeship position, because it can be hard to get your foot in the door otherwise.

A college degree is nice to have, but not vital. And, to be honest, if you have trouble getting decent grades in high school, you're going to hate college.

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
Originally posted by: uberman
When I graduated from high school I did not really care about my GPA. I was making more money than I make today with a masters degree, and the work was easier. Such is not the case today. I took some classes, but college was boring, I was so sick of school. Then I traveled the world, acquired several languages and developed an interest in college. I then went to college and viewed it as a challenge, my cumulative GPA is near 4.00.

Maybe, take some time off of school, but don't stop learning, travel Canada and the USA, go to other parts of the world. Travel can be cheap and cheap travel is more educational.

How'd you do that with no money?

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
my grades were subpar in HS. i had running 70's and 80's, until the last few semesters when i actually started caring. my HS college advisor told me i didnt have a chance and to goto community college. i applied to other schools anyway, and ended up getting into a state university.

in college, i did poorly (cant get rid of those high school habits too easily!) for the first 2 years. then i picked it up, and graduated with a decent gpa and was accepted into a respectable graduate school :)

its not over yet, because college is yet another fresh start. as long as u apply yourself, you will be fine.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: jagec
I'd say learn a trade. Be an electrician, be a plumber, learn to machine or weld or operate a train. Find something you like doing that you don't need a college degree for (there are a surprising number of jobs out there). Hopefully you have a contact that you can lean on for an apprenticeship position, because it can be hard to get your foot in the door otherwise.

A college degree is nice to have, but not vital. And, to be honest, if you have trouble getting decent grades in high school, you're going to hate college.

It really depends.

I am a highschool dropout. My last complete year was 7th, but I "made it to 10th", good ole TX where you move on even though you shouldnt.

I gots some As, but more Bs, and Cs, before dropping out. After not being in schools for 5 years(16 to 21), I went to a Community College, and from there after three years of full and part time studies earned a substaintial scholarship to Texas Tech. I got into A&M, Baylor, TCU, SMU, and Tech but was rejected by UT.

Just because one does bad in highschool doesn't mean they will do bad in college. It all depends on their attitude. Obviously the OP needs a change of attitude and study habits.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: CurseTheSky
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer

So true.

I was an A and B student in High School, and I was shocked when I almost failed my first college class. Who knew you ACTUALLY had to READ a BOOK on you own, without being TOLD TO?!

Try to raise the grades. Colleges will be more interested if you can keep everything to at least a C and above.

Work hard now, reap the rewards later. ;)

Edit: I should specify that I just received my first degree last semester - Associates Degree of Computer Sciences, Magna Cum Laude :D

"Almost no HS's...adequately prepare you for the level and quality of work required to be successful in college"

damn, someone is being negative. I'm at RPI and doing very well for my first semester; I feel that I was completely prepared. Granted, it was a blue ribbon school, which there were all of 41 (HS) of last year, and the graduation rate is 98%. With the wide expansion of AP courses too, I think the majority of high schools these days can prepare you, so long as you have the motivation to move beyond the rest of the student body.