Do "G" Keys Have Any Value in RPG's & FPS'?

Whisper2

Sep 17, 2009
I bought a Corsair K90 keyboard several months ago primarily because I wanted to try mechanical keys. I chose this model for the lighting not the "G" keys.

I play only single player RPG's & FPS'. I just started Skyrim - Dragonborn and I still have Borderlands 2 installed (waiting for the level increase). Is there anything the "G" keys could add to playing these games?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
By "G" keys, I assume those are programmable function keys?

I don't know. Probably won't be that helpful in either game, but that's for you to decide. I mean, the purpose of the keys is that you can do anything you want with them. You can potentially have a whole bunch of hotkeys on the side of your keyboard that you normally wouldn't be able to have.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I think it would be more useful in twitch (fast paced) games where tying multiple things to one key would be ideal.

Feb 6, 2007
In something like Skyrim you could use them as hot keys for various items or spells you use regularly. One of them could use a health potion, another could switch between a weapon and a bow, you could use them for various spells that you favor, etc. Not a lot of use for macros in that game, which is unfortunate, since if the crafting wasn't menu driven, you could use them for smithing/enchanting/alchemy and make those a lot easier.

As far as an FPS is concerned, depends on the game. They're great for CS since you can assign each to a different loadout and buy all your items with a single keystroke. I don't know about macros for FPS games though; I wouldn't think they'd offer any advantage.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
I am going to sit back and watch for replies..... Because I too wonder that. I have tried a couple of the 'Pre Programed" set-ups. And I am like "MEH...."

I was looking forward to using in in BL2 but since I found Multiplayer, there is little need. We go in. We roam. We kill. We loot...WAIT... I need to make a NINJA Macro. Cause I am the ARSE hat that kills all the baddies before looting chests.
YEAH, I play with randos... My kids and or their GF's didnt go BL2.

Thats it... Tonight I am "marcoing" a double tap "E" program!!!!!!!!!!
Calling it NINJA LOOTER

(Wow, thats pathetic... I feel like Claptrap).

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
MyvG15 has them and I have recorded a few things mid game that I was repeating but haven't done that for years. They just aren't as useful as they might first appear.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I've owned keyboards with G-keys or macro/programmable keys since around 2007/2008'ish and the only game I can recall where I've had any sort of really positive use out of them was in Age of Conan. I bought the game on release day and quickly programmed macros for all of my combo skills. Why press keys in a certain order at a certain speed when I can program a macro to do it?

Since then I've tried to use my G-keys to replace the traditional WASD and that failed spectacularly. Not found much use, if any, for them since.

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
I have not used the programmable keys once in the 4 or so years I've had this keyboard. The only real scenario where I see them being useful is MMO's and I'm never touching those again.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Outside of games, I have my G keys bound to things like Notepad, Calculator, IE, and Media Center.

If a game makes me use WASD for movement (normally arrow key user), then I use the G keys as extra keys. Since my pinky can reach them easily, I bind them to direct weapon selects which would normally reside on 7 through 0, which you can't hit without moving your fingers off WASD.