Do civilian government jobs require

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
I worked at the Social Security Administration for a few years - no drug test @ hire or while employed.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Depends on if you have a clearance that requires testing. If so then yes. It is also supposed to be random. I have worked for 4 years in the government and I have been tested about 8 times I believe.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Ive had my SCI clearance for several years now and have never been drug tested. I have been polygraphed, however, and they ask you about your life long history with drugs.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I worked at a DOE particle physics lab (particle accelerator) for 4 years and never once had a drug test. Not even in the hiring process...

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: bignateyk
Ive had my SCI clearance for several years now and have never been drug tested. I have been polygraphed, however, and they ask you about your life long history with drugs.

I believe the polygraph pretty much eliminates the need to drug test.....

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Codewiz

can't a polygraph be tricked though?

though i am sure a drug test can be also.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Can't remember if I took one when I first hired on, but I've been a DoD civil service employee for 15+ years now, and don't recall ever having one (although it's possible they tested me, without my knowing, when I did my pre-employment physical). I did 9.5 years in the navy before that, and only had 4 tests, but that was back in the 80's (so no idea how they are now).

timswim78

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2003
It depends.

I worked for a city agency, and their policy was to randomly test 5 times during the first year.

Now, I work for another agency, and they have a random policy, but there is not a required number of tests. I have not been called for testing in my 15 months there.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Codewiz

can't a polygraph be tricked though?

though i am sure a drug test can be also.

Sure, but tricking polygraphs requires lots of practice and training. That isn't something most people can do.....

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: marvdmartian
Can't remember if I took one when I first hired on, but I've been a DoD civil service employee for 15+ years now, and don't recall ever having one (although it's possible they tested me, without my knowing, when I did my pre-employment physical). I did 9.5 years in the navy before that, and only had 4 tests, but that was back in the 80's (so no idea how they are now).
I did nine years and just got out.
Probably had about a hundred urinalysis(es) while I was in.
Every time they did a command sweep they nailed a bunch of people.

My first civilian job required a pee test before I could even get employed. After that, nothing.
In theory I guess I could be doing drugs right now, but its not gonna happen.
I made it 28 years without trying weed, I dont even feel like doing it now.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
i just started working at one of the big gov't contractors, and would like to know how often they get tested as well!

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
i worked for a DOD contractor and had a clearance in process. I was tested at hire...and told they did random afterwards, but i didn't know anyone that was actually tested randomly after hire.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..safety sensitive positions are fed.required to have random and post accident DT.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
sure, all of these jobs say that you CAN be drug tested, but it hardly ever happens. 5 years working for the Army and i've never been tested. nor have i ever heard of anyone at work getting a test.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: YoungGun21
I'm pretty sure they do.

I'm pretty sure they don't. In fact, I'm more than pretty sure.

I was tested once in the Air Force, maybe twice. I don't recall if we were tested at MEPS or Basic Training.

I was tested once in the civilian world prior to getting hired at my first contract position. I've been on two contracts since then (different companies at each) and haven't been tested. That's two or three times in 12 years working for the government.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Originally posted by: YoungGun21
I'm pretty sure they do.

I'm pretty sure they don't. In fact, I'm more than pretty sure.

I was tested once in the Air Force, maybe twice. I don't recall if we were tested at MEPS or Basic Training.

I was tested once in the civilian world prior to getting hired at my first contract position. I've been on two contracts since then (different companies at each) and haven't been tested. That's two or three times in 12 years working for the government.

If you have a top secret clearance especially with SCI, you are gonna either be drug tested or polygraphed.

If you just have a secret clearance then it is going to be a command type decision because it does cost money to do it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY