Do any of you guys give your parents monthly allowance money?

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I had a coworker tell me how he, out of cultural obligation, gives his father $400 a month as a sign of respect and to show you are "taking care" of your father. He said he'd be looked down upon *and his father would be embarrassed) by his relatives in Asia if he didn't. Personally I think that kind of blows... does anyone else practice giving their parents an allowance?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I had a coworker tell me how he, out of cultural obligation, gives his father $400 a month as a sign of respect and to show you are "taking care" of your father. He said he'd be looked down upon *and his father would be embarrassed) by his relatives in Asia if he didn't. Personally I think that kind of blows... does anyone else practice giving their parents an allowance?

Blows hardly....
You just don`t understand the Asian culture!

RocksteadyDotNet

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2008

Typical backwards culture. They need to leave this and other archaic traditions like arranged marriage and cast system, back in Asia.

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
I'd give them money. My dad has been saving up anyway, and he's got that CPP thing. His personal savings measure might override the CPP though. I'm not good with government policies.

But yea, I'd definitely give them money.

Also I'd do this out of the love I have for them. Not over some 'honor' thing.

Last edited:

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Definitely a cultural thing with your coworker. As for my parents, of course I would give them money if they asked. I'd probably give them money even if they didn't ask because I know they'd be too proud.

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
Definitely a cultural thing with your coworker. As for my parents, of course I would give them money if they asked. I'd probably give them money even if they didn't ask because I know they'd be too proud.

Seconded

saratoga172

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2009
Plus the fact they put up with all my bullshit growing up. I know it wasn't cheap fronting my bill. Same as every other kid.

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
Plus the fact they put up with all my bullshit growing up. I know it wasn't cheap fronting my bill. Same as every other kid.

Oh man. You can imagine the amount of rage my dad went through fathering three daughters. Those clothing bills D:

rhino56

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2004
my mom gets like 700 a month for income from SS, her rent is 550 i believe, needless to say she has very little money for anything. i had her sign up for google adsense and she gets the checks from my google ads. its not much but it helps her.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Asians rule. People in American OTOH jam their old in homes, don't visit them, and try and get power of attorney to steal all their parents remaining assets, early.

It helps you can put an Asian FOB in any city in America and they'll be millionaire in 5 years though.

Last edited:

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
my dad and his siblings split a lot of my grandmother's bills, especially after my grandfather died.

my mom's mother is constantly giving money away. when my parents built their house she gave them $10k, and her other 6 children $10k or land worth that much. she's done this several times over the years. that may not seem like much by a lot of people's standards, but considering she has a 7th or 8th grade education and grew up so poor that the Great Depression didn't affect them says a lot to me.

Cyco

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
No. They don't need it. I would be happy to help if they did though.

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
I'm asian, my mom recently told me that my grandma was remarking on how I don't give them money (to my parents and grandparents). I don't really give to my grandparents because I don't see them much. I usually just buy stuff for my parents because I know they won't spend the cash if I give it to them (and then what is the point?).

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Asians rule. People in American OTOH jam their old in homes, don't visit them, and try and get power of attorney to steal all their parents remaining assets, early.

It helps you can put an Asian FOB in any city in America and they'll be millionaire in 5 years though.

I really hope its just my sarcasm meter that's broken

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
I will be when my parents retire. Why? They have helped me out a lot and I am in a position to give them an allowance. My parents wouldn't make me pay them if I was not in a situation to do so.

I guess it's the closeness of most oriental families that western cultures do not have. I bought my father tickets to Cambodia as a gift. He can easily afford it, but it's a nice gift for all the sacrifices he has done, work 55-60-70hr weeks, hold down 2jobs, not go on holiday for 10yrs to save up for the house and family business. I don't think I would have his resolve to work 2 jobs for such a long period of time to provide for my family to be honest. It would f0cking suck ploughing down 60-70hr weeks, little to no free time, saving loads of &#163;&#163;&#163; for the house and business.

My parents have worked ridiculously hard raising us.

Koing

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
My wife gives money to her parents. We have also "borrowed" money from her mom, most of it was money she gave her in the first place.

Funny people complain about SS and such but think supporting your parents is a bad thing. I guess we should just kick all those old people to the street and tell them to die as they are hurting my new bike/xbox/etc... fund.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I give my mom $1,000 minimum each month. Some months I give double. Why? Because I want to and this is my way of giving her some spending money each month. I also pay her health insurance premium which is little under $400 each month.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
My wife gives money to her parents. We have also "borrowed" money from her mom, most of it was money she gave her in the first place.

Funny people complain about SS and such but think supporting your parents is a bad thing. I guess we should just kick all those old people to the street and tell them to die as they are hurting my new bike/xbox/etc... fund.

Different mind sets.

I would be kind of peeved at my wife is she was giving £££ I earnt to her parents, and is probably one of the things I'll have to put the foot down on if I was to get married to an oriental girl...they typically want to send cash over which is a fair enough piont, but I personally wouldn't want my cash being sent over. I don't care if it was her cash...

I know one couple that split up because of this. The dude wanted to send loads of £££ to his parents back home and the wife didn't want to send loads but was fine with xxx amount.

Koing

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
If I had the money I would do it, although probably not in check form more likely a credit card for gas/groceries. I figure one day I might buy her a nicer car.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I would certainly help them out if they asked for it or if I knew they needed it, but they don't and they won't.

nace186

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2006
Used to give 1k a month. Now I just gave them my credit card and tell them to use it for everything they need.