do any 144hz Monitor/Card combination do 120hz in windows

rtoledo2002

Oct 5, 2014
Hi everyone, I'm getting OLD and my vision and my wife's are poor, we need a Monitor that does more than the plain 60hz at 1920x1080 .

I did some reding and all everyone talks about is GAMES , but some of us old people want to run Chrome and Mozilla at their top limit of 120 hz so we do not get headaches from staring at dim poor quality monitors, where fonts look like ghosts and boxes to type your name or email are INVISIBLE

HELP , do any of you that have gaming rigs have your windows settings at any thing higher than 60 and if so how high and what monitor and card are you using.

I have ZERO interest in games , in fact I was OLD when the Atari 800 came out (the love of my life, specially Montesuma's Revenge and Bounty Bob )

thank you all for helping out a old tweaker from the 80's ;)

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
My eyes are getting bad, i'm fairly old too.

I'd use a big TV with 120 refresh rate.
Right now I use a 40 inch @ 60hz TV, but 60 hz doesn't give me headaches.
There are plenty of TV's out there with better than 60hz.
You could use a monitor also, but for web browsing, just buy a large cheap $300 TV.

example:Sony KDL40W650D 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD Smart HDTV $350
https://www.walmart.com/ip/FASTTRACK-Sony-KDL40W650D/50162509

or go cheaper for $250 , 120 hz ,40 inch for $250.
TCL - 40" Class (39.5" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - Smart - HDTV Roku TV - Black
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-40-...rt-hdtv-roku-tv-black/4235004.p?skuId=4235004

Last edited:

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
I'm pretty sure any monitor that can do 120/144 Hz in games can also use that refresh rate on the desktop. I have an overclocked Korean 1440p monitor and it runs 100Hz in games and on the desktop. There's a noticeable improvement in smoothness even in Windows when you above 60Hz.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
The complaints you have are not associated with refresh rates, unless it is on an old CRT monitor. Low refresh rates do not make things blurry on LCD displays. CRT's used to, however.

Do you have a CRT monitor now?

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Many older lcd screens have pwm controlled backlights, which means the backlight flickers slightly, leading to more eyestrain, even though it's not really visible.

tftcentral has this list
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/flicker_free_database.htm

newer screens might not be on it though, most screens should have it by now.

PWM sets brightness, it has nothing to do with refresh rate(i.e. a PWM monitor @100Hz or @60Hz will have the same exact flickering because it is a function of brightness setting and unrelated to refresh rate). Things light lightboost flicker with refresh though, but usually that's on a higher refresh rate monitor since it was originally intended for 3d. Basically, there is no mechanism for an LCD monitor's refresh rate to be locked with flicker. Nor is it related to picture quality either.

It sounds more like the guy just wants a decent LCD monitor and thinks that is tied to refresh rate.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I agree with Ferzerp. None of these things have anything to do with refresh rate. His issues could be related to poor a backlight system, but the refresh rate has nothing to do with that. He also mentioned near invisible fonts. This could be related to a low refresh rate CRT or maybe he might prefer a lower PPI (big monitor, lower resolution), or he simply needs to use ClearType (Windows program). It may also help to increase the UI size.

Knowing the monitor he's using now, that gives these issues, might be helpful in steering him in the right direction.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Sounds like brightness is too high or contrast is too low... perhaps even the result of using a non-native resolution.

Web browsing and general computing at 120Hz or higher is really nice though. 60Hz on an LCD is better than 60Hz on a CRT, but it still kinda sucks.

Thinker_145

Apr 19, 2016
The guy also made a thread in the display section and mentioned that he was using a 21" CRT. So that's where all the problem with 60hz lies.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
The guy also made a thread in the display section and mentioned that he was using a 21" CRT. So that's where all the problem with 60hz lies.
Wow. An actual CRT in 2016 (soon 2017)! That's impressive.

As everyone else here has stated, 60Hz on a CRT and 60Hz on an LCD monitor are quite different beasts. Back in the day, I couldn't use anything below 75Hz on CRTs. Eye strain, headaches, you name it. I've been using 60Hz LCDs for years, with no issue whatsoever. The reason is simple: CRTs are by their very nature flickery - the beam that forms the image is also the "backlight." LCDs (mostly) have a constant backlight, with a liquid crystal layer in front of this creating the image. Thus, there is no light flicker, no matter the refresh rate.

I'd expect a decent quality LCD to render fonts and details far sharper than your CRT too.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
I'm just surprised that if he is using a CRT that he isn't pushing it to 75Hz or 85Hz, which are both very common refresh rates for any CRT made after 1995, especially the big 21" models.

FWIW, I still use a CRT on one of my systems and love it, but it runs over 90Hz almost all the time.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Any LCD that supports 120/144Hz can do it in windows. BUT... It looks like crap. Everything gets washed out. So I leave mine at 85Hz, which is enough to make things very smooth, but has a tolerable gamma.

But really, I think a 60Hz LCD would be just fine for you. LCDs do not flicker like CRTs do, the difference in higher refresh rates on an LCD comes down to smoothness of motion.