Do all Macs do this?

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I recently went to Ontario, California, for two weeks of training on our new color print system. The last few days of the class, we played with the various Fiery and Splash digital front ends. The Splashes, of course, are based on Macintosh platforms - G4 PowerMacs.

Anywayz, when I was going through the set-up routine on the Mac, I did something wrong, and the Mac says to me in this stilting female robot voice, "I'm sorry . . . I can't do that."

I jumped out of my seat! :D Totally unexpected, and I thought I was alone in the room.

SiskoXP

May 18, 2001
All Macs? No.
New Macs? I'm pretty sure they don't.
Although it could be a new sound in OS9 and up I suppose..

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes. Well, all of them running OS9, for sure. And it's not a "sound". It's the simpletext voices. Basically, text-to-speech. The cool thing (besides being able to turn it off) is that you can type in custom things for them to say. For the longest time, my upstairs neighbor's imac would blurt out "BAWITDABA THE DANG-A-DANG DIGGY DIGGY" every time there was an error. She didn't know enough about her computer to undo it once I had done it. :)

Ricky
DesignDawg

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
For the longest time, my upstairs neighbor's imac would blurt out "BAWITDABA THE DANG-A-DANG DIGGY DIGGY" every time there was an error. She didn't know enough about her computer to undo it once I had done it.

LMAO I copy/pasted that into a TeachText document on my iMac and it sounded hilarious then my Mac crashed :( Oh well guess I'll leave it off until the 2002 iBook arrives.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Back in college, I would hook up my mac to my stereo and crank the volume. My friends and I would have fun trying to make it say some very...uh...creative things.

Did You Know: The mac can pronounce many four letter words with ease! :)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
BDawg

Yes. I experimented with that with Qwest executives in the next cube over listening in on calls.

:D

Viper GTS