Do air purifiers really work?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
We won't get a cat because the wife is highly allergic and I am mildly allergic. Seems pretty simple to me.

fandroid

Banned
Apr 28, 2014
I agree the design is very good . I got the cover of my air purifier customized with my favorite picture and most of my friends mistook it to be a photo stand (this option isn't mentioned on the website but its available for a select few customers who are referred by another customer . You can quote my reference ) I have been using these Clair air purifiers for over a year . You just need to vacuum the filters once a month to keep it functioning efficiently. you can read more about the e2f filters here . http://go-clair.com/pages/the-e2f-filter Unlike the OTC stuff these filters last for 12 to 14 months .

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Step 1: Get rid of carpets.
+1 to begin with.

I've all tile or laminate in the house now all over that I put down after ripping all the carpet out years ago.

The wife even has an ozone purifier I don't like that has actually broken down again, but I'd say getting rid of carpet step one myself.

Last edited:

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I made the box fan with filter taped to it and it did collect a lot of dust. Was super cheap too.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
If someone has serious allergies, invest in a HEPA Unit that is inline with the blower system of the HVAC. They are expensive but have greater results. The single room units are fine for just that...just stay away from 3M paper pleated filters...UNLESS you had your HVAC contractor install the ducts and return grill sizing for them. They choke the system creating high static pressure, causing more amp draw to motors and decreases airflow across coils and furnaces. I tell home owners all the time 3M doesn't build AC systems, but I repair many 3M caused premature failure to.

Last edited:

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
I don't need a HEPA filter I had one from Zelmer and it clogged very fast and it was not washable and on top of that I couldn't buy a replacement HEPA filter right I want something washable to keep my computer free of dust or at least have it gather way less dust. What would you recommend?

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Sorry tapatalk is not acting nice today, I recommend getting a cheap filter or the cheapest pleated filter, usually softer and fuzzy looking. Spray it with pledge or HD has a product called filter charger, that will make the filter surface tacky/oily and pick up more with out changing ESP.

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I don't need a HEPA filter I had one from Zelmer and it clogged very fast and it was not washable and on top of that I couldn't buy a replacement HEPA filter right I want something washable to keep my computer free of dust or at least have it gather way less dust. What would you recommend?

Definitely do not use a washable filter for your house unless you like mold. They don't work worth a damn and they attract mold and mildew and then blow that into your home.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
I've had this one for about 4 years now. Still never had to vacuum the hepa part of it. Just have to wash the outside rough pre filter stuff on top once every 6 months or so. And no it doesn't cause mold, it dries just fine.

It's loud as crap though which is annoying. But it works awesome and never have to buy a filter for it.

*edit* oh here is the life time hepa version I mean, guess there were different models and some weren't lifetime: http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Pur...e=UTF8&qid=1413521711&sr=1-1&keywords=50250-N

Last edited:

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I know it's a necro, but it seems the answer has been overlooked:

Consumer reports says that they are no where near as good as simply improving the quality of the air-filter for your AC unit.

Nov 20, 2009
Step 1: Get rid of carpets.
While this might help it isn't the only source of dust. For instance, my finished basement has stained concrete floors--no carpets at all. Dust still collects, but more slowly.

A large factor for sources of dust are animals known as humans. Their f-ing skin sheds like you wouldn't believe.