Do affordable multi channel amps exist

Leon1972

Oct 26, 2013
Hello. I am looking for a multi channel amplifier to run through my htpc through so as to cut out the reciever since my htpc is capable of 7.1 surround. I was thinking this would cut down on cost but I can't seem to find a multi channel amp for less than 800 dollars. Do affordable ones exist and if so where are they

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
Dedicated multichannel amps are more marketed towards the high end consumer that has to have a discrete amp section. A decent AVR from Onkyo/Denon/Yamaha/Marantz will do a lovely job, even in the $500 range. Seeing your other posts, I'd recommend using an HDMI connection between the motherboard you posted and an AVR that then powers the speakers, and another HDMI connection between the AVR and TV. Let the HTPC bitstream the audio/video to the AVR, since the AVR's dedicated decoders will automatically output the best possible streams from the source material.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
since my htpc is capable of 7.1 surround.

The 7.1 capability of the MB you posted in another section is mostly referring to the HDMI connection. The analogue connections are not great, and S/PDIF doesn't support the latest codecs.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Hello. I am looking for a multi channel amplifier to run through my htpc through so as to cut out the reciever since my htpc is capable of 7.1 surround. I was thinking this would cut down on cost but I can't seem to find a multi channel amp for less than 800 dollars. Do affordable ones exist and if so where are they

What receiver do you currently have? Does it have HDMI in/out?

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
The 7.1 capability of the MB you posted in another section is mostly referring to the HDMI connection. The analogue connections are not great, and S/PDIF doesn't support the latest codecs.

Even if his HTPC has 7.1 multichannel analog outputs, I highly doubt it has high enough voltage to properly drive a multichannel amplifier. Most analog amplifiers require anywhere from 1.5Vrms to as high as 3Vrms to clip. Most integrated 7.1 chipsets can't even hit 500mV cleanly.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Even if his HTPC has 7.1 multichannel analog outputs, I highly doubt it has high enough voltage to properly drive a multichannel amplifier. Most analog amplifiers require anywhere from 1.5Vrms to as high as 3Vrms to clip. Most integrated 7.1 chipsets can't even hit 500mV cleanly.

another good point.

actually some AVRs have issues running a high enough voltage out to power some pro amps correctly as well

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
You're right, multi-channel amps are hard to find under $800. Maybe check on Audiogon, they seem to cater to the audio enthusiast. You may be able to find something used there - I just checked and there are some Emotiva XPA-3's in the $500 range.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Unless you are trying to drive some low impedance speakers just get a receiver. Also unless you got a high end audio card, an HTPC will not do as good of a job as a receiver in decoding audio. If you got a GPU that supports bitstream over HDMI just hook that up to the receiver.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Go with a nice AVR. Not only will you get better audio decoding you get the convenience of switching between difference sources with one central device. Volume can be easily controlled as well instead of messing with the OS or whatever HTPC software you're using.

LocutusEstBorg

Jun 23, 2014
Get a Marantz SR5008. For an entry level device get a Yamaha RX-V365.

AVR decoding is garbage. It introduces latency and you constantly have to keep switching players with different configurations to switch between bitstreaming for Dolby / DTS and LPCM for multichannel AAC since it usually can't be bitstreamed. If you have a 120Hz display, you can't use it over HDMI. You need a sound card anyway for decent microphone input. Several games are broken on the HDMI audio device and don't play proper audio effects or high voice counts. Every time it switches between bitstreaming and LPCM you lose the first few seconds on audio and your upmixing settings also probably get messed up on the AVR or PC.

Basically HDMi audio on PC is broken and useless. A PC is a high quality powerhouse that should process everything. After trying to be "all digital" I abandoned it and went analog for audio with a Sound Blaster Zx and an SR5008 with Dual-Link DVI for 2560x1440 and 120Hz 3D Vision 2. What a bloody relief from the non-stop bugs and glitches of HDMI audio that was...

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
7.1 still seems a bit out there to begin with me to be honest.

But up to you, I still just do 5.1 for about everything.

LocutusEstBorg

Jun 23, 2014
It's all the same. Multi-channel amps are a rare thing nowadays and HDMI has multiple annoyances as I've stated above.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
I'm always hoping Topping will come out with a low wattage 5/7 channel digital amp with an HDMI input and .1 pass thru for PC use under $200 but alas nothing yet.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I use my PC as pre-amp if you will, and old Onkyo, pre HDMI generation avr, which accepts 7.1 channel input as amp. Works great for my budget.