Do 8800 GTS suffer from GT problem ?

Relion

Dec 21, 2004
I mean the slow fan speed problem ? Would I have to increase the speed with Riva Tuner with this card as well ? I am seriously thinking on going with a GTS/Crysis bundle since the difference with a GT + Retail Crysis is just 20 bucks for me (I HAVE TO buy at Amazon) so I was wondering if I need to do the trick Id have to do with the GT... what's your experience on this guys ? Or your knowledge :)

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005
I believe mine was at 29% stock and I don't believe it sped up by itself. It was the EVGA model from Newegg with Crysis. Setting it to 45% and it stays below 70c.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Hmmm, noticed that as well with mine. It did spool up once by itself on "Auto" when I used Rivatuner and switched from "Manual" to "Auto" when the card was heated up, but that was only once.

I just used Rivatuner to set the fan to 55%; temp doesn't exceed 65c while playing Crysis @ "Very High" (DX9 optimization).

ashishmishra

Nov 23, 2005
At 55% it is very quiet and great cooling performance, it idles at 40C and loads at 55C, but then again I have exceptional case ventilation, 2 120mm on the side, 2 120 mm at top, 1 120mm in the rear and 1 120mm in the front. All the 120mm fans are set on low and I can't hear the GTS's fan at 55%.

But yes to answer the OP's question the fan never automatically spooled up, at 29% fan speed it idles at ~65C.

kookie0326

Dec 13, 2007
The fan starts getting noticable around 70%, at least that is what I have found. Below that, you can hardly hear it.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Just to clarify, the GTS fan/cooler is very similar to the G80 fan/cooler. Looks to be improved a bit actually. Not sure what its default speed is, but it cooled extremely well and was barely audible up to 80-85%, dependent on the loudest fan in your case (typically CPU or PSU cooler).

The first run of GT use a smaller, faster RPM fan which seems to be what you're referring to with default speeds and noise levels. I had mine up to 60% before it became too loud/annoying. The newer GT have a larger, slower RPM fan similar to the G80 and G92 GTS fan. Not sure if its the same as the dual-slot fan, might be thinner but its much better than the one used on the original run.