DNS Issue

Shindawynn

Feb 22, 2007
I'm trying to connect a HP Designjet 4200 Scanner to the company Network. These scanners are used to scan large maps and have their own verison of Microsoft's O.S. In this case it's running 2000...

To cut to the point I just cannot get this thing to register on the domain. What is odd is I can ping other computers on the network and can even ping the scanner from another computer. Everything checks out O.K. but what it comes time to register it just gives me a DNS registration error which may be caused by DNS lookup. I can ping the DNS server fine and vice versa....

I'm totally confused as to how all IP address have been assiged and are showing up correctly in IPconfig, I can ping computers on the company network, but cannot register it on the domain. Any helpful advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
when you say "Register on the domain" what are you talking about....adding a DNS name to it...joining it to the domain?

Shindawynn

Feb 22, 2007
Yes, sorry to have not made that clear. Simply typing in the company domain name to gain access to the company network. I've also added the pc to active directory just to rule out that being an issue....

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Shindawynn
Yes, sorry to have not made that clear. Simply typing in the company domain name to gain access to the company network. I've also added the pc to active directory just to rule out that being an issue....

still not clear enough...typing it in where to access what? File shares?

\\server\share work?

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
ok, so you cannot join the computer to the domain....

check the DNS servers, are they correct (i.e. point the the DNS that holds the records for your DC's)

can you ping your domain by name
can you ping a DC by name
are there any error messages in the logs of the DC or this machine

Shindawynn

Feb 22, 2007
All DNS Servers check out fine and there are no error logs... however I cannot ping dc's by name... what you think?

Shindawynn

Feb 22, 2007
It does list support for being able to join these to a domain on Hp's website however this particular model has been discontinued and there isn't to much additional support to be had... I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this one... It just doesn't make sense...

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
is the DNS obtained from DHCP? Does it match what you have on a client that will join to the domain?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Definitely a DNS issue. You need to set the primary DNS to your internal DNS server that has records for your DC. What does ipconfig show on the device?