DNF does NOT suck that bad...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Why? Discussing the same topic in one thread guarantees all the information about said topic will be in a single place for the readers to digest. It's a simple case of organization.

Fine, but the other thread is "Duke nukem forever on steam" this is "DNF does NOT suck that bad..." Totally different topics really, no matter where the other thread is at now.

hows about you having the title of being a fucking idiot for two months:)

Two months? I dunno man i only suggested whining bitch for one month... ill go with fucking idiot for 2 months if you are whining bitch for 2 months also. :thumbsup:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I've been playing it and its pretty decent. I dont think about it all hours of the day or anything, but it is entertaining and keeping my feeble mind active.

May 19, 2011
there are movies that are meant for pure mindless entertainment without any semblance of a story, yet they are engaging..
So id DNF...

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Fine, but the other thread is "Duke nukem forever on steam" this is "DNF does NOT suck that bad..." Totally different topics really, no matter where the other thread is at now.

Two months? I dunno man i only suggested whining bitch for one month... ill go with fucking idiot for 2 months if you are whining bitch for 2 months also. :thumbsup:

haha,na ill stick to 1 month,you deserve 2:thumbsup:

Last edited:

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Definitely staying away from games that "Does not suck that bad", what a waste of money for people who bought it.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
In a way, I'm glad the reviewers say this game sucks. I planned on waiting until it hit bargain bin, and it looks like that might be earlier than I originally thought.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
I've never seen people get so defensive about this game. Ever.

It's like your family was ripping apart a girl you brought home.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Duke Nukem Forever: Solid $10 game.

I've only played the demo but it seems to me that there's no reason for this game to have been in development as long as it was. I used to love 3DR/Apogee, but a far more capable studio would've put DNF out in a year, two tops.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008

I think they're being defensive because they are trying to reach for a valid reason to justify them wasting so much money on such a bad game.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I liked the demo, but not $45 liked it. I probably $17.99 liked it.

KT

smartpatrol

Mar 8, 2006
Well let's see. It's 10 years ago. I was playing Half Life, Counter Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Diablo II, Unreal Tournament, Soul Calibur, Final Fantasy X, Baldur's Gate 2, and Quake III.

Yeah. . . I'd say DNF would've sucked just as badly a decade ago.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
I'm at the Duke Burger level and and i've been having fun so far. The two weapon limit is annoying for sure, so i'm hoping someone will create a mod to "fix" that. However, it's honestly pretty much on par with any other on rails shooter i've played as of late (at least the action parts).

The interactive aspects of the game are pretty amazing to me. Like the air hockey game you can play during the strip club flashback level for instance. It's a pretty damn accurate recreation! If you're only interested in action and just want to shoot shit for 8 hours straight, then I can see stuff like that turning you into a hater. However, for me, that's what makes the game different than most everything else out there now and keeps me coming back for more.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
I get the feeling the "romance" folks feel toward this game is about where and who they were when they played the original, and not necessarily the quality of the game.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I had zero expectations when clicking the button to purchase this game. I was pleasantly surprised.

This game has had NO major bugs AT ALL (smoothest launch I've seen in a long time). It has lots of different guns and ammo that drop like crazy making it ridiculously easy to basically have most if not all guns readily available so the 2-gun limit really is a cop-out whiner's excuse. The health bar (ego) still allows you to DIE and the only difference between that and a typical non-regenerating health bar is that there are fewer things to spawn / render in game like silly health packs. You can even find ways in-game of extending the ego bar that you can miss, therefore giving the player an incentive to paying attention to detail and explore. Jesus, people, petty much? The enemies are diverse with different tactics to defend against and different tactics to take each of them down making combat varied, challenging, and fun. Don't think so? Stop being a pussy and playing the game on easy and stop being a whiny little bitch. The comments Duke makes are hilarious. The chicks in the game are pretty hot. Hell, you even get a blowjob and a lapdance. Hells yeah, baby! It's good to be king. The level design is great, the graphics look great, the gameplay is nice and fast, there are different vehicles to play around with which have their own characteristics that you learn and exploit, the boss battles involve tactics never seen in other games and are challenging, blah blah blah.

I could go on and on about how this game is not a shitty game, but it won't matter to those incessant whining Negative Nancies that are impossible to please.

DNF is a great game. If you're concerned, wait until it's $20. You'll still have a great time playing it if your vagina isn't bleeding all over your keyboard.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I had zero expectations when clicking the button to purchase this game. I was pleasantly surprised.

This game has had NO major bugs AT ALL (smoothest launch I've seen in a long time). It has lots of different guns and ammo that drop like crazy making it ridiculously easy to basically have most if not all guns readily available so the 2-gun limit really is a cop-out whiner's excuse. The health bar (ego) still allows you to DIE and the only difference between that and a typical non-regenerating health bar is that there are fewer things to spawn / render in game like silly health packs. You can even find ways in-game of extending the ego bar that you can miss, therefore giving the player an incentive to paying attention to detail and explore. Jesus, people, petty much? The enemies are diverse with different tactics to defend against and different tactics to take each of them down making combat varied, challenging, and fun. Don't think so? Stop being a pussy and playing the game on easy and stop being a whiny little bitch. The comments Duke makes are hilarious. The chicks in the game are pretty hot. Hell, you even get a blowjob and a lapdance. Hells yeah, baby! It's good to be king. The level design is great, the graphics look great, the gameplay is nice and fast, there are different vehicles to play around with which have their own characteristics that you learn and exploit, the boss battles involve tactics never seen in other games and are challenging, blah blah blah.

I could go on and on about how this game is not a shitty game, but it won't matter to those incessant whining Negative Nancies that are impossible to please.

DNF is a great game. If you're concerned, wait until it's $20. You'll still have a great time playing it if your vagina isn't bleeding all over your keyboard.

Perfectly stated!

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006

Proof:

LOL. Calm down people, it's just a game. If you like it, that's great, get off the internet and play it and stop worrying about what other people have to say about it.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
:p May have been harsh, but was intended to get a few giggles and to be presented in the typical Duke-attitude. :cool:

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008

haha dude. I have agree with pretty much everything you said here except for the two weapon limit. It's not a complete deal breaker for me but is kind of annoying when you end up with two guns that don't really work for the situation you're in.

For example, I was fighting the alien queen in the duke arena and halfway through the fight I accidentally replaced my RPG with a shotgun and then the RPG somehow disappeared from the map. So I had the ripper and the shotgun, both of which didn't do shit against the queen and meant I was stuck throwing pipebombs, which took forever..

I guess they we're going for realism, or to make the game more difficult given you can't just spam everything with rockets. However, the better option IMO would have been to limit ammo for the overpowered weapons and only include the unlimited ammo boxes for boss fights. Only being able to carry two weapons is a pretty strange design decision given the game is already over the top in pretty much every other aspect.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
No, I've been raging on people who say "this game sucks" and provide no real reason other than they just didn't like it. I'll give the "ego bar" argument to some who I've seen say that it refills too fast and too soon, but other than that I have yet to see any real logical, reasonable reason that this game is somehow a bad game.

People just bitch because they (just like with movies and other games) put this game on a pedestal expecting to buy the game and instantly develop +15% muscle mass and walk out of the store with a date or something. Jesus, it's just a video game but people expected their eternal souls to be saved because of how heavenly they expected this game to be.

Unrealistic expectations lead to disappointment, every time, and the rose-colored glasses they're wearing after that disappointment taints (haha I said taint) their view on the rest of the game almost making them incapable of recognizing that it really isn't any worse than anything else and is quite a bit better than a lot of what's out there now. Is it the best game ever? Fuck no, nothing ever is. But let's be realistic, here, folks. DNF may not be a flawless game, but it's pretty damn good.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Well let's see. It's 10 years ago. I was playing Half Life, Counter Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Diablo II, Unreal Tournament, Soul Calibur, Final Fantasy X, Baldur's Gate 2, and Quake III.

Yeah. . . I'd say DNF would've sucked just as badly a decade ago.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
:thumbsup:

hehe,nice writeup

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
No, I've been raging on people who say "this game sucks" and provide no real reason other than they just didn't like it. I'll give the "ego bar" argument to some who I've seen say that it refills too fast and too soon, but other than that I have yet to see any real logical, reasonable reason that this game is somehow a bad game.

People just bitch because they (just like with movies and other games) put this game on a pedestal expecting to buy the game and instantly develop +15% muscle mass and walk out of the store with a date or something. Jesus, it's just a video game but people expected their eternal souls to be saved because of how heavenly they expected this game to be.

Unrealistic expectations lead to disappointment, every time, and the rose-colored glasses they're wearing after that disappointment taints (haha I said taint) their view on the rest of the game almost making them incapable of recognizing that it really isn't any worse than anything else and is quite a bit better than a lot of what's out there now. Is it the best game ever? Fuck no, nothing ever is. But let's be realistic, here, folks. DNF may not be a flawless game, but it's pretty damn good.

Again with the "unrealistic expectations" excuse. This is Duke. What kind of person was expecting a more serious game? No, they were expecting to have some good ol' Duke fun. For various reasons -- weapons feeling off, vehicle and puzzle sequences they found boring, lame graphics (horrific on consoles), stuck somewhere between modern and nostalgic and excelling at neither, etc. -- they didn't have good ol' Duke fun. You may disagree, but that doesn't mean you can call their approach unreasonable. They had not-fun, even boring and annoying, experiences playing Duke, and that's what they give the scores for.

It's also worth mentioning that Gearbox encouraged high expectations with their pretty dang awesome trailers. They led people on to think that this was going to be a AAA level title on par with the experiences offered in other top-tier shooters. It isn't. If anyone is to blame for high expectations, it's Gearbox.

Last edited:

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Again with the "unrealistic expectations" excuse. This is Duke. What kind of person was expecting a more serious game? No, they were expecting to have some good ol' Duke fun. For various reasons -- weapons feeling off, vehicle and puzzle sequences they found boring, lame graphics (horrific on consoles), stuck somewhere between modern and nostalgic and excelling at neither, etc. -- they didn't have good ol' Duke fun. You may disagree, but that doesn't mean you can call their approach unreasonable. They had not-fun, even boring and annoying, experiences playing Duke, and that's what they give the scores for.

It's also worth mentioning that Gearbox encouraged high expectations with their pretty dang awesome trailers. They led people on to think that this was going to be a AAA level title on par with the experiences offered in other top-tier shooters. It isn't. If anyone is to blame for high expectations, it's Gearbox.

Cheer me up red hawk:S,i have this game ordered:p

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
You can't remember a game you liked? If I had that negative of a view on modern gaming I'd probably just stop gaming. Seems like a waste of time and money if you're struggling so much to have fun, isn't it? The only game I can remember NOT liking in recent memory was LA Noire. Everything else has been at least worth my time, of not totally worth the money. Infamous 2, Portal 2, and Crysis 2 were all good to different degrees. I've felt it's been a pretty solid year for games thus far and there's still good stuff on the horizon.

and you guys bash me???