DNC (Democratic National Convention) Thread

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Yea, keep thinking that.

i meant that it doesnt matter what music they play. theyre not entertainers.

you took it as it matters because people might vote for republicans because they put on a better show... and you might be right:'(

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
No. We are not. Just because bullets aren't flying does mean we aren't in the middle of a cival war.

What we are witnessing is the demolition of xenophobic fear mongers like yourself. The lunacy and desperation in your rhetoric keeps growing, a sure sign that you are being chased from under the bridge for the troll that you are.

It is a good day in America.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I thought both were a bit meh. I guess Clinton spoiled it for me. It will be interesting to see what the pundits say -- and what the polls say. Stronger than Romney to be sure, but the Dems could have really used another Clinton-caliber speech.

If Obama's speech was better than Romney, it wasn't by much. I didn't think either was very good, and both were far too strident to attract undecideds; Obama may have even undid some of the Clinton bounce. IMHO, if there's going to be a break to either candidate, it'll have to come at the debates because I don't see either convention moving the needle.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
What we are witnessing is the demolition of xenophobic fear mongers like yourself. The lunacy and desperation in your rhetoric keeps growing, a sure sign that you are being chased from under the bridge for the troll that you are.

It is a good day in America.

you on the left have to keep accusing the right of the shit you are doing otherwise you'd explode.

What side this week kept going to the nazi well?

oh right, that was the left. over and over again. The same fucking people that keep telling the right we need to tone done the retoric, and change the tone in washington.

The current democrat playbook is to piss on us, and then tell us its raining.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
If Obama's speech was better than Romney, it wasn't by much. I didn't think either was very good, and both were far too strident to attract undecideds; Obama may have even undid some of the Clinton bounce. IMHO, if there's going to be a break to either candidate, it'll have to come at the debates because I don't see either convention moving the needle.
I think Clinton will have moved the needle, but I agree Obama didn't help much. To me it was too much like the rest of his speeches.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

And yet...in the past week we saw Obama's approval rating jump 6% to 49%....http://www.gallup.com/poll/113980/Gallup-Daily-Obama-Job-Approval.aspx

This is one sign the needle is being moved - this is the start.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
No. We are not. Just because bullets aren't flying does mean we aren't in the middle of a cival war.

The President of the United States had a few words you should have payed better attention to tonight:

We don’t think government can solve all our problems. But we don’t think that government is the source of all our problems – any more than are welfare recipients, or corporations, or unions, or immigrants, or gays, or any other group we’re told to blame for our troubles.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
you on the left have to keep accusing the right of the shit you are doing otherwise you'd explode.

What side this week kept going to the nazi well?

oh right, that was the left. over and over again. The same fucking people that keep telling the right we need to tone done the retoric, and change the tone in washington.

The current democrat playbook is to piss on us, and then tell us its raining.
Get over it. The Eva Braun comment was ill-considered, but comparing Ryan to Goebbels was on the mark. That Goebbels worked for the Nazis wasn't the point. It was his role as Propaganda Minister and his belief that telling big lies is an appropriate winning strategy.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
The speech was just 'okay' for the most part, imo. There were some good parts and I thought he ended it really well, but the rest was mostly same ole same ole. Not very easy to come up with new stuff when you've already been president for four years, I guess.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
How can you seriously think that we're in a "cival(sic) war"? You take politics way too personally, and rather than look at cold, hard facts, you blather off like a rabid dog barking at anyone that comes near.

Note that the "look at cold, hard facts" line does not in a way indicate that your choice in candidates is bad... that's your opinion to have. However, I am openly mocking your deductive reasoning for getting to your opinion. ... actually, I should say the lack of deductive reasoning. Seriously, I doubt that you're a stupid individual; why do you choose to act so poorly?

I just don't get it. :\

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Best Speech of the DNC Nominees

Cry Me A River - Michelle Obama

Everything But The Kitchen Sink (While Everyone Watched Football) - Slick Willie Clinton

Another All About Me (And Barry) - Wild Eyed Joe Biden

I Will Promise You The Moon But I Can't Deliver Jack - Barry Obama

The winner - Michelle Obama, for best attempt as one of the one percent to connect to "real" people.

Other than the doubtful entertainment of watching the nutters on the convention floor while the liars sold snake oil at the podium, this was one of the least exciting conventions I have seen.

Maybe I am jaded by my MTV, but the entertainment value was sorely lacking... as was any substantive policy discussion.

The Obama speech was a throw away. Endless empty promises and no way to deliver them. Can't wait for the jobs report tomorrow morning.

Three and a half years wasted, trillions more in debt, no plan, just platitudes from the President.

And those groveling minions. Oh my!

Pathetic. Simply pathetic.

Not even worth cracking wise about.

:(

Last edited:

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Talking points memo is in... Paid for opinion propagated. Destined to be laughed at, ridiculed, and emasculated another day! See you back here again, summer of 2016 for the next round of shillery...

and BTW mods... has it always been ok to flood P&N threads with puerile pictures instead of commentary? It's the new retardujour of the weak minded, mouth frothers lately.

Last edited:

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Obama's getting a bump from this convention for sure. Clinton laid the groundwork, all he had to do tonight was give an OK speech...which he did.

Funny to see the righties up in arms and denouncing the convention. It was leaps and bounds better than anything we saw at the RNC. So much more enthusiasm, diversity, and energy across the board. The DNC felt like the future of America. The RNC is a window to the past, nothing but a sea of old white angry people. That's not going to win a national election ever again. The modern day GOP as we know it is in for a huge realignment.

Oct 16, 1999
Yeah, I think beyond any policy specifics the overall take home from these conventions is one of these parties has their act together and one does not.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
John Kerry: "Ask Osama bin laden if he is better off now than four years ago."

DNC isn't content to just knock Romney down tonight; they're trying to eviscerate him tonight!

:ninja:

that line leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.

I think the Osama bin Laden raid was a major accomplishment for America, for our intelligence agencies, and for the armed services. I know it's inevitable that it's going to be used as a political weapon because it came to a culmination under Obama's watch, but I still find it a little offensive.

I'm a liberal, but the thought of John Kerry as Secretary of State makes me tempted to vote for Romney.

in the 1972 elections, were the Democrats bashing Republicans because their party didn't land a man on the moon?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Best Speech of the DNC Nominees

Cry Me A River - Michelle Obama

Everything But The Kitchen Sink (While Everyone Watched Football) - Slick Willie Clinton

Another All About Me (And Barry) - Wild Eyed Joe Biden

I Will Promise You The Moon But I Can't Deliver Jack - Barry Obama

The winner - Michelle Obama, for best attempt as one of the one percent to connect to "real" people.

Other than the doubtful entertainment of watching the nutters on the convention floor while the liars sold snake oil at the podium, this was one of the least exciting conventions I have seen.

Maybe I am jaded by my MTV, but the entertainment value was sorely lacking... as was any substantive policy discussion.

The Obama speech was a throw away. Endless empty promises and no way to deliver them. Can't wait for the jobs report tomorrow morning.

Three and a half years wasted, trillions more in debt, no plan, just platitudes from the President.

And those groveling minions. Oh my!

Pathetic. Simply pathetic.

Not even worth cracking wise about.

:(

If you spent half as much time trying to understand economics, statesmanship, and America that you do typing these asinine posts, you'd be a better person.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I thought Obama and Kerry's speeches were good. Biden had his moments but he could have rambled a bit less.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
that line leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.

I think the Osama bin Laden raid was a major accomplishment for America, for our intelligence agencies, and for the armed services. I know it's inevitable that it's going to be used as a political weapon because it came to a culmination under Obama's watch, but I still find it a little offensive.

I'm a liberal, but the thought of John Kerry as Secretary of State makes me tempted to vote for Romney.

in the 1972 elections, were the Democrats bashing Republicans because their party didn't land a man on the moon?

If he had not got Osama, there would be no doubt that Republicans would be blaming BO for falling to bring him to justice...

Ultimately, I believe that it was Obama's commitment to using the tactic of crossing into Pakistan that makes all the difference. Simply put, and Romney said he would not have made the same decision to invade Pakistan.. It was only after the president's success that he changed his position on the subject.

I think it's more than justified to remind the American people of who actually had the balls to get the job done.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by Perknose
Barry started out slow, but he rose to the occasion, and in the end, delivered a stem winder that challenged Americans to remember we are all in this together.

You're just a tad ahead of yourself.

We are certainly witnessing class warfare but not to the point of civil war just yet.

Once enough people are negatively affected forcing them to join the class warfare it will descend into civil war.

Once first blood is shed, the train cannot be stopped until it derails.

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
Jennifer Granholm melting down at the DNC

What the hell did I just watch? My favorite part is when she said that the private sector didn't come to the aid of the auto industry, and that Obama was the one that saved the American auto industry. Because the two decades of the private sector propping them up don't count, right? Or jabbing Romney for saying that poorly run companies should go bankrupt...you know...which is the point of capitalism. Second favorite part: Not mentioning Ford doing fine on their own. But hey, gotta save your union cronies, right B. Hussein? The same unions that drove the industry into the shitter in the first place..

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
If he had not got Osama, there would be no doubt that Republicans would be blaming BO for falling to bring him to justice...

Ultimately, I believe that it was Obama's commitment to using the tactic of crossing into Pakistan that makes all the difference. Simply put, and Romney said he would not have made the same decision to invade Pakistan.. It was only after the president's success that he changed his position on the subject.

I think it's more than justified to remind the American people of who actually had the balls to get the job done.

Balls to get it done....after delaying the decision multiple times. Petraeus (sp) was actually mulling over doing it without authorization if BO had delayed again.

But give Obama credit for having SOME balls, I mean he's taking credit for something the armed forces did. The same armed forces he was threatening to withhold the pay of if the legislature didn't pass his shit budget.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Well known liberal Joe Scarborough is of the opinion that the election is already over after the disparity between the 2 conventions. He's such a shill for the DNC though.