DNC clarification

deathstorm78

Oct 1, 2007
Okay, I'm really new to the whole DNC and how it works. I've been reading up and found some info here and there. I think I basically get the concept, but the H. Clinton thing(I'll explain) is what confuses me.

Was it the DNC's position and by agreement of the candidates that delegates/superdelegates would be the determining factor? From what I understand the answer is yes. Did all candidates involved originally agree to this by virtue of being a member running for candidacy via the DNC?

There are only 100ish delegates/superdelegates left. H. Clinton needs 200ish to win? How is it possible for her to win when there aren't sufficient votes left?

Why was popular vote ever discussed as a means for H. Clinton to win? Is the DNC able to decide either way by popular vote or delegate/superdelegates?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
The party nomination process is governed by the parties themselves. Political parties are private organizations and can do what they want. This is unlike the *real* election, which is governed by the Constitution and the states.

The current rules have been in place for a long time. The Super D's were introduced a longtime ago, and AFAIK regular delegates have always existed.

The DNC controls the rules. The candidates themselves basically have nothing to do with them but either follow them or complain about them. The DNC doesn't need the candidates' approval of it's rules.

The popular vote has NEVER decided the nominee AFAIK.

In fact, in 1968 the Dems chose as Prez nominee a person who did not even run in the primaries. The delegates all just decided to switch their support and nominate someone their votes never voted for.

How can Hillary still win? 2 ways. One with Super D's; while they may have *voiced* their support for Obama, it is not *in writing* yet. That will only happen at the convention. I.e., they could still change their minds, as some have done already by switching from Hillary to Obama. Second way is with regular delegates. The rules have wriggle room whereby the elected delegates could ignore their election results and switch to Hillary. Nothing is actually *official & final* until voting at the convention occurs.

Similarly, McCainis only the presumptive Repub nominee. His won't be official either until voting etc takes place at the Repub convention.

Fern

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
the popular vote has nothing to do with who the parties elect... but the last candidate to win without the popular vote was George McGovern.

(of course, the argument that Hillary has the popular vote lead is spurious to begin with)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern

The current rules have been in place for a long time. The Super D's were introduced a longtime ago, and AFAIK regular delegates have always existed.

The current system came around as a result of '68, not really "long time" in presedential election cycles.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: lupi
Originally posted by: Fern

The current system came around as a result of '68, not really "long time" in presidential election cycles.

Since then more than 70-80% of P&N were conceived.
Probably 90% of P&N could not have voted in the '68 election.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: deathstorm78
Okay, I'm really new to the whole DNC and how it works. I've been reading up and found some info here and there. I think I basically get the concept, but the H. Clinton thing(I'll explain) is what confuses me.

Was it the DNC's position and by agreement of the candidates that delegates/superdelegates would be the determining factor? From what I understand the answer is yes. Did all candidates involved originally agree to this by virtue of being a member running for candidacy via the DNC?

My understanding: Yes and yes.

There are only 100ish delegates/superdelegates left. H. Clinton needs 200ish to win? How is it possible for her to win when there aren't sufficient votes left?

My understanding: It's not.

Why was popular vote ever discussed as a means for H. Clinton to win? Is the DNC able to decide either way by popular vote or delegate/superdelegates?
[/quote]

My understanding: popular vote was raised by the Clinton campaign in a search for anything that might help her case, but has no role in the process other than public opinion.