DIYPC MA08-BK Black USB 3.0 Micro-ATX Mini Tower Gaming Computer Case with Dual Fans $19.99 @ Newegg

Replay

Golden Member
Aug 5, 2001
Free shipping too, and no rebates. A nice cheap box for a project.

Also has dual fans installed: 120 up front, and 80 mm rear. Would likely put in a larger rear fan as the grill is > 80mm. Top mounted PSU.

MisterE

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2000
Pretty awesome for $20 + tax shipped. No screw holes on the rear fan mount for anything larger than 80mm, but maybe you can make something work. The front USB 3.x connector sticks out of the side of the case instead of the top with the other ports. I'm not a fan of mesh front panels or LED fans, but can't complain at this price point.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
I bet the fans are el-cheapo versions though. They'd have to be for that price.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Oh my, is that a floppy drive bay in the front?

A very low price, but I'd refer to that case a "buttercase". :p

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Oh my, is that a floppy drive bay in the front?

A very low price, but I'd refer to that case a "buttercase". :p
To be fair, the 3.5" bay can be used for an SD card/compactflash, etc. reader, or those hot swap bays that can have 2 2.5" SSD's or laptop drives, etc. I haven't had a floppy drive in a PC I've built in 15 years but there are other uses for the 3.5" bay.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
To be fair, the 3.5" bay can be used for an SD card/compactflash, etc. reader, or those hot swap bays that can have 2 2.5" SSD's or laptop drives, etc. I haven't had a floppy drive in a PC I've built in 15 years but there are other uses for the 3.5" bay.
True. Enthusiasts can always figure out a way to make use of a space.

I just haven't seen a floppy drive bay in a case in a long time. However, to my defense I'm never looking at cases in this budget range. :p

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007
I like to install a card reader in a 3.5" external drive bay, so it's a feature I look for in a case sometimes. You could also install an SSD in that drive bay with a 3.5" adapter and take out the SSD/HDD mounting assembly that runs up and down the side of the case if you don't need any more drives (or if you're using M.2 slots on the motherboard).

You can expect the steel to be very flimsy, but hopefully most of the edges are rolled and your fingers won't get cut. To its credit, there are some noise mitigation features such as the rubber liners in the HDD mounting holes, but a case like this can't contain the noise inside the case, and you might get some rattling noise when the case vibrates (most likely if you use a spinning HDD or optical drive).

It appears the fans have 4-pin molex connectors which will require extra attention to cable managment, and the fans will run at a constant speed (too fast, too slow, just right, who knows). The 80mm fan in the rear is pretty much worthless and I'd replace it. Maybe even put that 120mm front fan in the rear if it will fit (I can't tell if the limit is 92/100mm or 120mm).

Honestly, I'd rather hold out for a Fractal Design Core 1100 case on sale for $30, or I'd even re-use an old HP minitower case which has a similar layout (no 120mm front fan) but much better construction. It might be perfect for your needs if you have some old parts lying around and need a cheap case, but I wouldn't put $300-400 worth of brand new parts in a case like this.