DIY...USB Solar charger

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
The only problem with one of those is voltage regulation. If you are in a place with flickering light, I can't imagine that the constant large voltages changes would be good for any devices connected to it.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: xeemzor
The only problem with one of those is voltage regulation. If you are in a place with flickering light, I can't imagine that the constant large voltages changes would be good for any devices connected to it.
Maybe buy a super-capacitor, one of those 1F things, and hook that up in parallel with the panel. Combined with a diode to prevent discharge back through the panel, it might serve to even out a few of the small changes in the incoming light.

(Haven't watched the video yet. Still buffering. I miss my standard Roadrunner service. To save money, I throttled back to RR Lite, 768kbps. I think I was at 8-10Mbps. Oh woe is me.)

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I'd rather have a hand crank charger. You can modify a crank flashlight to charge a cell phone, or buy one that includes a cell charger.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Wow... it's like Household Hacker, except that this guy's shit looks like it would actually work :)

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004

It's not like it's supposed to be used at a rave party or anything.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: CraKaJaX

I was thinking how uneven light is in a car. While you are driving around, you are constantly hitting patches of shade and direct sunlight.

darkamulets

Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by: CraKaJaX

I was thinking how uneven light is in a car. While you are driving around, you are constantly hitting patches of shade and direct sunlight.

Silly idea but what about a car charger in that situation? If your battery is dead then you wouldn't have that uneven light problem and could use the solar charger.