DIY Speaker building: How to magnetically shield?

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
Ok you guys, i know there are a few DIY speaker builders here. What do you use to shield your subs and speakers magnetically from your TV, or do you? I made a nice sub, and it's about 5 ft away from my tv, but i still get magnetic discoloration. moving it farther is not really an option because my apt is small. anything i can coat the inside of the box to cut down on this? how do the pros do this? do they just coat the magnet with something?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
You need to use a magnetic metal. Aluminum etc is transparent to magnetic fields and therefore useless unlike plain old sheet metal

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
so i should just coat the inside of the box with sheetmetal? or should i try to build an enclosure around the magnet? i think part of the magnetism comes straight out the front of the woofer too, so i'm not sure what to do about that...

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Hmm... I am no acoustical engineer, and my concern would be changing the acoustics of the enclosure. Still, shielding the interior at least on the side(s) between the magnet and TV is easy and worth a try.