DIY $150 Home "Super" Network

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: kevnich2
Originally posted by: Kaido
Originally posted by: PuvMan
Hmmm.... tru
didnt think about using a repeater.... good to know the buffalo can do this, i can pick one up, and see if it works nicely.... and if not, i can always use it at home as i am still on an old wireless b linksys unit at home

thanks!

Did mine tonight, works great, no bricks (goodbye Linksys!). Here is my procedure for the $39 Buffalo WHR-G54S, adapted from the Wiki: (step-by-step, looks more complicated than it is)

1. Download the standard generic firmware: (dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin)

a. Go here: DD-WRT Download Area
b. Click on "dd-wrt.v23 SP2"
c. Click on "standard"
d. Click on "dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin" to download (3.3mb)
e. Save to C:
* v23 SP2 will not always be the most current version; just update the folder and filenames to reflect whichever is newest (v23 SP3, v24, etc.). Also, do NOT use anything prior to SP1 on a Buffalo router!

2. Configure your computer: (I used Windows XP)

a. Disable wireless connection (if you have one)
b. Close anti-virus and firewall applications
c. Plug in network cable (to connect to the router later)
d. Open TCP/IP Network settings (Network Neighborhood > View Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP))
e. Select "use the following IP address" and set the IP address to "192.168.11.2", Subnet mask to "255.255.255.0" and leave the Default gateway blank

3. Configure your router:

a. Reset to factory defaults (if you just bought it you are good to go)
b. Unplug power cable
c. Plug in network cable from PC to a LAN port (not WAN)

4. Flash firmware:

a. Open the Command Prompt (Start > Run > "cmd" to open)
b. Go to the C:\ by typing "cd c:\"
c. Type this in BUT don't press enter yet: "tftp -i 192.168.11.1 PUT dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin"
d. Hit enter and then plug in the power cable to the router
e. The LAN port will start flashing (the green LED by the Ethernet cable)
f. Wait a minute or two for the file to transfer. If you are successful, you will get a message like "Transfer successful: 3502080 bytes in 5 seconds, 700416 bytes/s". If it is not successful, you will get a message saying "Timeout occurred". If this happens you probably plugged in the router's power cable too quickly. There is a small window when the router accepts files to be transferred and you have to hit it just right.

5. Reset the system:

a. Go back into your TCP/IP settings on your PC and set it to "Obtain IP address automatically" instead of "Use the following IP address"
b. Reset the router by unplugging it and plugging it back in
c. Log into the router by pointing your browser to 192.168.1.1
d. Immediately change the password (default username is "root" and password is "admin")

That's it, now enjoy! Basically you are just transferring the new firmware to the router. Easy as pie. By the way, the rest of my network equipment showed up, here's a pic:

Home Network

Pictured is my shiny new black Motorola cable modem, freshly-flashed Buffalo wireless router, and 16-port 10/100 Dell switch. Below that is my Mini-ITX file server (small, eh?). Everything will be connected to an old UPS battery-backup strip I have lying around somewhere. Now I will have the pleasure of drilling holes in my place to run the wiring. I'm not going to bother installing keystone jacks (wallplates) since I don't have that many devices and the wires can be hidden pretty easily against the wall (white network cables). I bought the CAT5E network cables from MonoPrice.com, an awesome place for getting quality cheap cables. I'll post some some more pics when it's all set up.

How much of a time window are we talking? I've tried this 9 times with mine and it keeps timing out. I have the command in the window, hit enter, then plug in the power. I've tried waiting 1 second, 2 seconds, 3 seconds, etc and it keeps timing out. Any other secrets or hints?

That's really odd. Within a few seconds, that's all. Firewall, anti-virus, wireless all off?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
A couple extra articles for your enlightenment:

How to add a second DD-WRT router as a repeater (wifi range extender)

How to add a second DD-WRT router as a bridge (wired range expander over wireless)

The first one is good if you want to increase your wireless range in different parts of our house. The second one is good if you have some wired devices that you want to add on your network, but it's too far away or otherwise impractical to run a wire to a switch. Using the bridge method, you use your first wifi router to send the signal to your second wifi router, which acts as a wireless switch, basically. This is nice if you want to add wifi to your home theater (for Xbox, HTPC, TiVo, PS2, and other things with Ethernet jacks).

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
I got it straightened out. I didn't think changing the IP address to the factory default was a big deal so I left it at my home network's IP range which is what the problem was. The router won't accept any other firmware unless it's IP is the factory default IP.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I got it straightened out. I didn't think changing the IP address to the factory default was a big deal so I left it at my home network's IP range which is what the problem was. The router won't accept any other firmware unless it's IP is the factory default IP.

Good to know, thanks! Is there a reset button like on the Linksys routers too? I've flashed all of mine straight out of the box...

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Yep, there's a reset button, which is how I got mine to work. I read on the buffalo site about the default IP, I reset it, tried things again and voila, worked first time.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Yep, there's a reset button, which is how I got mine to work. I read on the buffalo site about the default IP, I reset it, tried things again and voila, worked first time.

Nice, good to know, thanks!

I just setup a hacked Buffalo for a friend of mine. Everything from static IP to VPN is working flawlessly. We even setup the DynDNS DDNS service with the updater running off the router, works great! (just wait about an hour for the naming to set in before inputting it into your router) The router has a built-in PPTP server for simple VPN that works with XP out of the box - just type in your IP address (or in this case, DDNS name) and then your username/password. Couldn't be easier. I still want to try out the Xlink Kai daemon for playing online games with XBMC. This router just keeps getting better and better. You can't beat it for $40 shipped!

Baldy18

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
When using the DD-WRT firmware to adjust the wireless transmitter's power what kind of power range are we talking here? Also what is the default for these two Buffalo routers? Can increasing the transmit power have any long term negative effects on the router?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Baldy18
When using the DD-WRT firmware to adjust the wireless transmitter's power what kind of power range are we talking here? Also what is the default for these two Buffalo routers? Can increasing the transmit power have any long term negative effects on the router?

answer

Basically 84mW = best setting for max power. The WHR-G54S has a built-in heatsink, which is great for using outdoors. The WHR-HP-G54 has a built-in amp, so it says don't set the radio power above 10mW if the amp is turned on. It also says to consult the forums for a deep discussion.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
Excellent write-up. Thanks!

Question: If you don't have a lot of wired network devices, do you need the Dell switch or does it serve another purpose here other than letting you connect to more wired devices?

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Salvador

Question: If you don't have a lot of wired network devices, do you need the Dell switch or does it serve another purpose here other than letting you connect to more wired devices?

The switch simply serves to expand the amount of devices that can be connected to the network. But if you only have four devices then you could use a SOHO router, like a WRT54G.

However if you daisy-chain switches on a higher traffic network you might run into performance problems over the single link between the SOHO router and switch. In this case I generally move everything over to use the switch as the backbone.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
Originally posted by: InlineFive

The switch simply serves to expand the amount of devices that can be connected to the network. But if you only have four devices then you could use a SOHO router, like a WRT54G.

However if you daisy-chain switches on a higher traffic network you might run into performance problems over the single link between the SOHO router and switch. In this case I generally move everything over to use the switch as the backbone.
That's funny that you say that because I have someone telling me not to buy a Linksys router like the WRT54GS or WRT54GX2 and buy the Buffalo router instead. Could you tell me why you recommend the Linksys over the Buffalo?

I only have a few wired pc's and two wired pc's on the system. The DD-WRT software seems techy and cool and all, but I don't know if I really need it when I can just buy the Linksys router.

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003

That's funny that you say that because I have someone telling me not to buy a Linksys router like the WRT54GS or WRT54GX2 and buy the Buffalo router instead. Could you tell me why you recommend the Linksys over the Buffalo?

I only have a few wired pc's and two wired pc's on the system. The DD-WRT software seems techy and cool and all, but I don't know if I really need it when I can just buy the Linksys router.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. As JackMDS kindly pointed out the past few generations of WRT54GS and WRT54GX2 units have been junk. What I should have said was the WRT54GL, which is based on the older, more reliable generations.

What device you purchase comes down to personal preference. I like the WRT54GL, JackMDS prefers Buffalo units. They are both solid and both can use my favorite 3rd party firmware: DD-WRT.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Regarding the switch, it is simply to let me add more wired devices to my network. If you only need 4 or 5 wired connections, just use the router's ports. I have a lot of devices including computers, gaming systems, and home theater equipment and I would rather have them on wires than wireless.

As far as the Linksys goes, there's no real difference. Technically there are, but for the average home user it doesn't matter. The Buffalos are great because they are cheap
($40 shipped) and small. The Linksys are a bit more difficult to install DD-WRT on because you have to load a small version of the firmware, which then allows you to load the large version of the firmware. Also, the later versions of the Linksys (v.5 on up) are MUCH more difficult to load DD-WRT on. I myself have bricked 2 older Linksys WRT54GS routers, while all of my Buffalo flashes have gone smoothly. If you already have a Linksys router and it's not a v.5 or higher, go ahead and flash it - just be sure to follow the instructions for the Linksys models as they are a bit different than the Buffalos.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
Thanks. I bought two of the Buffalo HP routers for $40 shipped at Buy.com (two separate orders) with google checkout. That's a heck of a lot better price than the Linksys and if they are basically the same....

I bought the second router to use temporarily as a client (probably use it as an an access point later with more devices). It was the same price as Buffalo's ethernet converter (I was told that it was basically a router without the router) or their USB pen drive client. I don't care about the extra space that it takes, so that's not an issue.

Question: Should I flash both routers to DD-WRT if I'm going to use one as a client?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Thanks. I bought two of the Buffalo HP routers for $40 shipped at Buy.com (two separate orders) with google checkout. That's a heck of a lot better price than the Linksys and if they are basically the same....

I bought the second router to use temporarily as a client (probably use it as an an access point later with more devices). It was the same price as Buffalo's ethernet converter (I was told that it was basically a router without the router) or their USB pen drive client. I don't care about the extra space that it takes, so that's not an issue.

Question: Should I flash both routers to DD-WRT if I'm going to use one as a client?

Technically only the client needs to be flashed, according to the instructions here:

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3639271

However, you might as well flash your primary router to get all of the benefits of DD-WRT. Try it out and let us know how that turns out!

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
Thanks for the link!

In the link, it says:

In either mode, you have a primary router and a secondary router. In wireless client mode, devices connected to the secondary router are contained within their own subnet, separate from the subnet for devices connected to the primary router. You don?t want this.

In wireless bridge mode, all devices connected to either router are contained within one happy unified subnet ? as if they were all connected to a single router. This is good.

Which should I set up? Client mode or bridge mode? It sounds like bridge mode is better the way that the article is explaining it.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
If I am reading correctly, the http://www.wi-fiplanet.com link relates to the LinksysWRT54G line.

The Linksys as is Do not support WDS and do not Support Static DHCP.:shocked:

The Linksys as is a Mediocre Wireless Router. It shines with the DD-WRT firmware.:thumbsup:

I have no business with Buffalo, or NewEgg, or any other hardware devices that I frequently link to.

The reasons that currently I prefer the Buffalo is:

The Buffalo is less expensive, and AS IS it does WDS, and Static DHCP (IP reservation within the DHCP range). :thumbsup:

Therefore, while any serious users have to Flush the Linksys, many do not need to Flush the Buffalo because as is it does some of the DD-WRT stuff out of the box.

Sal, get your Buffalos, and try them as is, it should work as a client. If you find that the client dose work as well, or you need additional capacities provided by DD-WRT then Flush.

Otherwise, be happy and prosper. :thumbsup:

P.S. This is a link to a pdf file that deals with WDS configuration, it is for the Router as is with the stock firmware.

http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/co...ring%20WDS%20on%20the%20AirStation.pdf

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Which should I set up? Client mode or bridge mode? It sounds like bridge mode is better the way that the article is explaining it.

The Buffalo support their own bridging modes out of the box. I think these are WDS only. You can try that if you like. Advantage is repeater support; disadvantage is some loss of bandwidth due to repeater and proprietary dependencies in some WDS implementations.

DD-WRT does WDS as well, but if you're going for WDS, you should probably try Buffalo's first. Follow their docs for this.

DD-WRT does two forms of client mode -- the plain "Client" mode, and the "Client Bridge" mode. The Buffalo does not do these out of the box. The difference between "client" and "client bridge" is that the "client" includes DHCP and NAT between two sides of the wireless connection, while "client bridge" is more "transparent", and relies on DHCP/etc., on the side of the primary router. Both have their uses. "Client Bridge" is generally better for an internal network. "Client" mode will be better if you're connecting to a public WiFi service or something like that where you want greater separation between the two sides. Either of these client modes should not depend significantly on the main router's implementation -- as long as they accept clients, and you configure yours accordingly, you should be able to get a link. So only the secondary router would need to be flashed for this.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Does anyone have any experience with this ethernet controller?

No experience, but I'd bet that the net effect is essentially the same as a router + DD-WRT in client bridge mode. The DD-WRT combo would be more flexibile -- e.g. plain client mode not to mention router, WDS, etc.

The Ethernet Converter could be a good choice if that's exactly what you need -- no risk/fuss firmware installation, no dozens of configuration options to confuse you, and as a client bridge, it probably works essentially the same. There are a number of other similar devices on the market, under various labels (wireless bridge, gaming adapter, even wireless print server, among others; often products will have one name on the box and another in the manual, illustrating the confusion of the market).

I wouldn't be surprised however if under the covers this was very similar to the routers and might even be flashable with DD-WRT. Of course you shouldn't count on that and if you want something flashable, prefer something that's already know to be flashable.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: JackMDSTherefore, while any serious users have to Flush the Linksys, many do not need to Flush the Buffalo because as is it does some of the DD-WRT stuff out of the box.

While you *can* run the Buffalo's firmware stock for some of those functions, why NOT hack it with dd-wrt? Where's the hacker in you JackMDS? :D :D :D

Then again I seem to be strangely obsessed with modding every piece of electronics I own :laugh:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: starwars7
nice work OP!

Yay thank you! :D

I will be testing the WDS and Bridge mode functions over the holidays when my second router comes in. I will post an update with my results.