Dixie Chicks Redux - Natalie Maines: 'People were misled'

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
:D Well, there she goes again. Will we see another DC boycott? Or is the pro-war demographic all boycotted out?

CNN.com: Dixie Chicks singer sounds off on war

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- Dixie Chicks singer Natalie Maines, whose criticism of President Bush last spring led to boycotts of the group's music, still has a lot to say about the war in Iraq.

"I think people were misled and I think people are fighting a war that they didn't know they were going to be fighting," Maines said Friday on NBC's "Today" show. "And I think they were misled by people who should have been asking questions and weren't."

The country stars faced criticism and even death threats after Maines said she and her bandmates were ashamed that President Bush was from Texas. She made the remark in London shortly before the war began.

Though Maines apologized for the phrasing of her remark, some radio stations banned the group's music. The group also received death threats in the wake of Maines' comments.

Maines said Friday she did not feel vindicated by how the war has unfolded: "I would have liked to have been proven wrong."

The band's recent concert tour was one of the year's most successful, but Maines said it is too early to predict the long-term fallout.

As for the backlash, she said, "We like making music and we'll continue to do that whether people buy it or not."

The Dixie Chicks on Friday released, "Top Of The World Tour Live," their double CD set and DVD.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
She's got some cujones that's for sure. I'm proud of her, even if she sings CW. (Though that IS a major failing.)
-Robert

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
As for the backlash, she said, "We like making music and we'll continue to do that whether people buy it or not."

well, if noone buys it, noone will pay for your recording costs, but you can keep making music as long as you can afford it.

Frdm51472

May 30, 2002
Whether I agree with her or not, at least she didnt bow to criticism. If you are going to have ideals you have to stick to them.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Frdm51472
Whether I agree with her or not, at least she didnt bow to criticism. If you are going to have ideals you have to stick to them.

Yes, good for her for doing that.

fluxquantum

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2000
Though Maines apologized for the phrasing of her remark, some radio stations banned the group's music. The group also received death threats in the wake of Maines' comments.

received death threats? man, i tell ya and i thought we lived in a democracy.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: fluxquantum

Indeed. But hey, didn't you hear? There can be consequences for using your free speech rights.
rolleye.gif

miguel

Nov 2, 2001

How is her receiving death threats not make us a democracy?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Indeed. But hey, didn't you hear? There can be consequences for using your free speech rights.
rolleye.gif
Yeah take Martin Luther King for example!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What Right of Free Speach do you have if it kills you? I suppose Stalin respected Free Speach then.

Of course no one died here, but a threat is just a hair short from an action.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Gee, I don't note as much opposition to her this time through. Most of the people who were stupid enough to think that "The Iraqis will welcome us with open arms." Now realize tha the people who didn't want to go there in the first place were right when they said, "The armed Iraqis will never settle with us.

Original Twits, don't you wish you had the right to sell flowers in Iraq. Think of the money you'd make selling flowers to Iraqis who want to give them to Americans.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Dixie Chicks suck anyway. I've held this belief since before these comments, so it's not a result.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: miguel

How is her receiving death threats not make us a democracy?

A better question would be, "How does her receiving death threats add to the democratic process, which includes the right of free speech." The answer is that it doesn't. People should be able to say almost anything they want to without fear of reprisal, especially death threats. Some words will invoke an emotional response that may precede a violent physical reaction (certain racial slurs, a couple of words that start with 'c', etc) but in no way should the public criticism of an elected official result in death threats to a family. Although I don't share the sentiment of Ms. Maines original remarks, and my real issue is with where she said them not what she said, in no way should it have resulted in death threats. IMO the people who boycotted her, called their local radio stations, etc. all acted within the bounds of a healthy democracy but the death threats were over the line and certainly detract from te democratic process.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

In most states threats to life is a felony. Why? Because it violates the victim though terror tactics and possibly prevents a capital offense though arrest based on the preps testimony.

PS I see no relation to democracy and threats to life. Perhaps you mean 1st amendment rights? You may have an argument here. But the courts once again interjected and stole it perhaps.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
OK, but your question was stated:

I don't understand how her receiving death threats causes us not to live in a democracy.

Man, this guy down the street was killed. I thought we lived in a democracy!

The death threats she received were wrong, no doubt. But how does that make us less of a democracy? Because it doesn't "add to democracy"? So, unless EVERYONE does this, we are not a democracy? I guess I'm trying to understand how you jumped to the sarcastic comment of how you thought we lived in a democracy...

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
The problem is, people who listen to her type of music are usually more conservative. But doing that, she's losing fans. I guess she's got guts.

Just like Rush, if he starts spewing anti Bush comments, he's going to loose his audiences and not gain any liberal listeners.