DivX or (s)VCD??

Skaven

Oct 18, 1999
I'm new to the DVD encoding world. I'm browsing through sites such as www.doom9.net and www.vcdhelp.com to get more information. I thought I'd give the forums a try and see if you guys can help me out.

What I'm looking for is decent quality backups - w/ Dolby Digital (AC3) if possible. I have a dually system and I'd like to take advantage of the added horsepower. Anybody know of SMP aware encoding apps?

From what I understand, DivX has a better quality/size ratio - yet SVCD can work on set-top DVD player (but no AC3?). I have a dedicated DVD/MP3/Gaming computer hooked up to the TV. So I suppose either would work. But the flexibilty of being able to play on set top players would be nice.

Any tips? This is all new to me, so any advice would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance!

D0wnL0ader

Banned
Mar 1, 2002
Right now SVCD is the best quality out there, if you go on MIRC their are channels that have SVCD servers that have the latest dvd movies and even movies that are still in the movie theatre. If you have a pretty new DVD player you can burn the movies onto cd and play them in the dvd player. Any more questions?

Skaven

Oct 18, 1999
Will SVCD output a Dolby Digital signal?

Any SMP aware encoding apps?

Thanks for the info!

MikeO

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001

Use SVCD only if you want to play them with set-top player, otherwise DivX. You can have AC3 sound with DivX, dunno about SVCD.

BigJohnKC

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
I don't think SVCD supports AC3, but I could be wrong. I know that divx does, and if you set the bitrate high enough you can get comparable quality to SVCD, maybe even better. Since you say you have a system for playing movies like this hooked directly to your system, I would definitely say go with divx. If you want high quality you won't be able to fit it on one CD, but a file definitely would be able to fit on your hard drive.