DivX for HD?

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
TS files are a pain, would it be smart to deinterlace and resize some 1080i TS files and make 720p DivX files? DivX 6 is only letting me use 4000 kbps though, I'm not sure how bad it'll artifact :(

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: jtvang125
Video forum?

Video = for video cards and junk, just opened it up before posting and all the threads on the front page are related to video cards

Jun 18, 2000
If you want to keep them in HD resolution, I suggest (1) H.264/MPEG4-AVC or (2) WM9/VC-1.

In either case, Goose has made a bunch of MPEG4 clips and would probably be the person to bug.

frankgomez75

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2004
Originally posted by: sheik124
Originally posted by: jtvang125
Video forum?

Video = for video cards and junk, just opened it up before posting and all the threads on the front page are related to video cards

I'm glad you asked.. I too am capturing HD and would like to know how ppl are converting them for storage.

Anyone have tips or guides?

And yeah... the video forum is pretty much just video HARDWARE talk and not about video quality and conversion. ;)

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
The HD profile in DivX6 sucks in comparison to TS or h.264.

frankgomez75

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2004
Originally posted by: eelw

Thats good to know... I was actually gonna to try it, guess this saves me alot trial and error :)

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
If you want to keep them in HD resolution, I suggest (1) H.264/MPEG4-AVC or (2) WM9/VC-1.

In either case, Goose has made a bunch of MPEG4 clips and would probably be the person to bug.

H264 is an even bigger pain than TS, I'm trying to play this on MORE devices, not less :p

I'm encoding a small clip of a Stargate Atlantis ep right now with DivX to see how it turns out. 1080i pisses me off, 720p displays perfectly untouched (albeit letterboxed) on my monitor, 1080i needs scaling and deinterlacing, and PureVideo STILL doesn't work like its supposed to.

Originally posted by: frankgomez75

Thats good to know... I was actually gonna to try it, guess this saves me alot trial and error :)

Don't worry, I got the trial and error part down ;)
I see people using XviD alot for HD, and IMO, DivX 5/6 > XviD by a long shot. We'll see how this turns out (I have the same episode in 720p XviD, probably made from the same TS).

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
what do people think of the Nero Recode implementation of h.264?
versus e.g. Quicktime Pro?

i.e., What software are you using to do h.264 encoding?

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
i tried to convert some clips to h.264 and it doesn't seem worth it. it takes HOURS!granted i only have a sucky Athlon XP-M 2400+, but still...i used quicktime pro to convert some clips i downloaded from apples site in h.264 to mpeg-4 and frankly, couldn't tell the difference except the 2 minute convertsion time.

Mar 19, 2003
I'm still trying to search for a good way to transcode transport streams to h.264 (that will make use of multiple processors). I tried some experimenting a while back, but I didn't know what the hell I was doing :p

I messed around with Divx 6 I believe (some beta codec with SMP support), and while rendering wasn't ungodly slow (I seem to remember 12-16fps for 1080i), playback didn't seem to work right at all.

The search continues...:p

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001
I'm still trying to search for a good way to transcode transport streams to h.264 (that will make use of multiple processors). I tried some experimenting a while back, but I didn't know what the hell I was doing :p

I messed around with Divx 6 I believe (some beta codec with SMP support), and while rendering wasn't ungodly slow (I seem to remember 12-16fps for 1080i), playback didn't seem to work right at all.

Since 99% of people have Nero on their systems, I'm surprised more people haven't played around with Nero Recode2, which can convert your mpeg or .ts files into h.264/mp4 files.

Mar 19, 2003
Originally posted by: aidanjm

Since 99% of people have Nero on their systems, I'm surprised more people haven't played around with Nero Recode2, which can convert your mpeg or .ts files into h.264/mp4 files.

Now that you mention it, I don't think I've tried that one. Might have to do that when I have some free time...

Have you used it yourself? I imagine encoding would be pretty slow with any h.264 implementation, but for quality/space reasons it might be nice.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004

Now that you mention it, I don't think I've tried that one. Might have to do that when I have some free time...

Have you used it yourself? I imagine encoding would be pretty slow with any h.264 implementation, but for quality/space reasons it might be nice.

I haven't tried it yet. Thinking of trying it today. I'm still using xvid to backup the few shows that I record.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
what do people think of the Nero Recode implementation of h.264?
versus e.g. Quicktime Pro?

i.e., What software are you using to do h.264 encoding?

Nero FTW! It is teh hawtness :p. However, very uncooperative with video formats (i.e. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't). But when it work it does an absolutly amazing job. But it will take qutie a while (as with all h.264 encoding :p)

totalcommand

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2004
TS files are a pain, would it be smart to deinterlace and resize some 1080i TS files and make 720p DivX files? DivX 6 is only letting me use 4000 kbps though, I'm not sure how bad it'll artifact :(

x264 w/ megui (harder) or gordian knot (easier).

The quality is insanely good, you just have to wait about 2-3 times as long for encoding.

look on doom9.org

here's a link for you: http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/gknot-main6.htm

totalcommand

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2004
Originally posted by: KnightBreed

H264 is an even bigger pain than TS, I'm trying to play this on MORE devices, not less :p

Ahhh, haha ignore my last post. Do you have a divx standalone player?? h264 standalones are coming out soon...

I'm encoding a small clip of a Stargate Atlantis ep right now with DivX to see how it turns out. 1080i pisses me off, 720p displays perfectly untouched (albeit letterboxed) on my monitor, 1080i needs scaling and deinterlacing, and PureVideo STILL doesn't work like its supposed to.

Don't worry, I got the trial and error part down ;)
I see people using XviD alot for HD, and IMO, DivX 5/6 > XviD by a long shot. We'll see how this turns out (I have the same episode in 720p XviD, probably made from the same TS).

XviD is a ton better IMO.

By the way, you should definitely deinterlace the 1080i to 720p. You'll get much better compression that way.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I wished more HD content would come out faster.... i think most people have HDTV sets by now.

totalcommand

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2004

x264 (opensource and the best h264 codec out there right now) is optimized for SMP. You can use avisynth frameserving to it, so it works great. pm me if you want details.

now, encoding speed...that's another story.

frankgomez75

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Looney
I wished more HD content would come out faster.... i think most people have HDTV sets by now.

Ummm... not quite. I'd say about 30% of the population have HD sets

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Looney

Ummm... not quite. I'd say about 30% of the population have HD sets

I think it's even less than that.