Diversifying in 2012 = racism

FM2n

Aug 10, 2005
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0412/75323.html

Why is our president so racist?

"President Barack Obama’s team is looking to hire more African-Americans"

That is NOT diversifying, that's ... well, looking to hire more African Americans. I'm am the least political person you will ever meet, and this is getting out of hand. But it's articles like this where I stop after the first sentence and move on to the next article.

If you're gonna hire people, hire people. You don't need a press release of the type of people you intend on hiring. Talk about equal employment opportunity.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
It's been explained a million times already...blacks can't be racists

On another note does anyone really care?

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
It's been explained a million times already...blacks can't be racists

On another note does anyone really care?

Yes, because if they're intent on hiring blacks, that means i don't have that opportunity available to me. They're hiring based on race. Illegal. and wrong. They should hire based on MERIT not color.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Yes, because if they're intent on hiring blacks, that means i don't have that opportunity available to me. They're hiring based on race. Illegal. and wrong. They should hire based on MERIT not color.

Woudn't Obama already have hired his worked based on merit?

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Woudn't Obama already have hired his worked based on merit?

If he means what he says about helping the empovershed, he hired the most poor people he could find, to give them a leg up in society and paid them 10 times what they're abilities would dictate in the market because everyone is equal.

but probably not.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
LOL. Obama responds to accusation that his campaign is too white by promising to hire more blacks, and he gets called a racist. He really can't win with you assholes can he?

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005

Political hiring and political appointments taking into account, race, gender and political party is done in every administration. Every administration for the past several decades has hired, appointed to cabinet positions and/or the SCOTUS, etc. based on these factors. For example, dem admins usually appoint a token republican to a cabinet post, and vice versa, to show ideological diversity, instead of just basing the appointment on merits. My sense is that you're critical of this administration for this kind of practice but not others.

There's a problem with it, but the problem is with the political culture. These things are not done out of animus toward a group. They are done to curry votes with one bloc or another. The problem isn't Obama or any particular pol. It's cultural and systemic.

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
You know I have a dog act and they are all Irish setters. I was called a racist for not have any Black labs. :(

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Irrelevant.

What would you call someone who hires people based on the color of their skin? (other than for specific needs, such as in a movie - Mandela obviously needs to be played by a black actor)

Without knowing what that person's motives are, I'd call that person by his or her name. You're right that it's still discrimination whether it's white or black. Where you and Lithium are wrong is in labeling it racist by definition. Discrimination is racist when it is motivated by animus toward the group being discriminated against. In the absence of animus, it isn't racism. It may still be wrong on principle because merit should be the only thing that matter in a perfect world, but that is another issue. To put it simply: when Obama and each of the past 5 POTUSES who preceded him have hired and/appointed based on race, gender etc. they have done so to gain votes, not because they hate one group or another.

Oh, and btw, I await your allegation of GWHB being "racist" for appointing Clarence Thomas to the SCOTUS in part because he was black. Everyone knows this. Even conservatives didn't deny it at the time.

- wolf

Last edited:

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
LOL. Obama responds to accusation that his campaign is too white by promising to hire more blacks, and he gets called a racist. He really can't win with you assholes can he?

Taken at face value it looks like a simple attack on obama. To me it looks more like people are pissed that race relations have suffered under obama. It started with his election and if you mentioned you were voting for McCain.. well you were labeled a racist because you are voting for the old white guy versus the balck guy.

Then the tea (Taxed Enough Already) party comes along... bam they are labeled as hicks and racists because some taxpayers have reached a boiling point. Granted some racists loons and fundamentalists have attached themselves to the tea party... but at its core initially the tea party was about government size and spending too much.

Then there was the beer summit, the the DoJ flap about the black panthers, then obama going on national tv saying his son would look like Trayvon Martin.

Every critism of obama has racists roots... it has nothing to do with his idealogy or how is running the country.

obama and the dems want to play the race card to the hilt... they will get called on it.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
So hiriing someone based on the color of their skin is not a racist act?

It might or might not. Depends on the motive. I'll repeat: When GHWB appointed Clarence Thomas to the SCOTUS in part because he was black, does that mean GHWB hated white people?

I'm waiting for someone to actually respond to the points I've made here. How much longer do I have to wait?

Last edited:

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Taken at face value it looks like a simple attack on obama.

No, it looks like exactly what it is: conservatives eager to label Obama "racist" for doing things that every past administration has done, and when they know full well that it is about electoral politics rather than racial animus. Everything else is just a talking point you felt like bringing in to the discussion.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
It might or might not. Depends on the motive. I'll repeat: When GHWB appointed Clarence Thomas to the SCOTUS in part because he was black, does that mean the GHWB hated white people?

You are confusing hatred and a racist act. Once can perform a racist act without including hatred.

I'm waiting for someone to actually respond to the points I've made here. How much longer do I have to wait?

Repost the points, I missed them.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
You are confusing hatred and a racist act. Once can perform a racist act without including hatred.

Repost the points, I missed them.

No, you didn't miss them. They're all above.

OK, so you want to define racist as not necessarily involving animus based on race? Fine. You will then agree that when previous administrations have done similar things, that these administrations are also "racist," right?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
No, you didn't miss them. They're all above.

Oh, I thought you were just blathering, my bad.

OK, so you want to define racist as not necessarily involving animus based on race? Fine. You will then agree that when previous administrations have done similar things, that these administrations are also "racist," right?

Wow, you really do stretch things. How do you leap from "it is racist to hire someone based on their skin color" to "the administration is racist"?

A single act does not define an entire administration (unless that act is overtly illegal, such as the Watergate issue).

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Oh, I thought you were just blathering, my bad.

Wow, you really do stretch things. How do you leap from "it is racist to hire someone based on their skin color" to "the administration is racist"?

A single act does not define an entire administration (unless that act is overtly illegal, such as the Watergate issue).

The thread started off with the following pronouncement:

Why is our president so racist?

So I take it that you disagree with Lithium on this issue? I was under the impression from your posts in this thread that you agreed with him. But if you disagree with him, then fine, nothing much to debate here.

- wolf