Ditching "Normal" Aluminum-Containing Deodorant

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 11, 2004
Generally, deodorant is aluminum free. Antiperspirant has aluminum.

• Old Spice Men's Deodorant, Aluminum Free, Wilderness with Lavender, 3 oz
    • My pick!

This. I roll my eyes hearing all the ads for the boutique indie brands advertising on podcasts about their deodorant being aluminum free like its special.

Just use pure deordorant like Old Spice. Used it since I was 11, aluminum free and works fine.

I was recently looking for straight deordorant for my wife and couldn't find anything. It's all antiperspirant or some hippie expensive "all natural" crap.

I use one of their scented varieties as it smells about the best. Way too many of them either have way too strong of a musky smell or have that weird scent that gets called "athletic/sport" or similar.

They used to make the same scent in their body spray and it was about the best. I regularly had women commented about how good I smelled. Now its all a bunch of weird names with not great scents (same issue as the deodorants).

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
This. I roll my eyes hearing all the ads for the boutique indie brands advertising on podcasts about their deodorant being aluminum free like its special.

I use one of their scented varieties as it smells about the best. Way too many of them either have way too strong of a musky smell or have that weird scent that gets called "athletic/sport" or similar.

They used to make the same scent in their body spray and it was about the best. I regularly had women commented about how good I smelled. Now its all a bunch of weird names with not great scents (same issue as the deodorants).
I've never used any of their sprays as I'm really sensitive to fragrances. But I've used the "Fresh" deordorant forever.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Well, I just took a shower and as usual, applied my Mitchum antiperspirant which probably has more aluminum salt than most. If this doesn't shut down your sweat glands then it's probably a good idea to consult a dermatologist.

Dec 10, 2005
You don't need aluminum to be labeled a deodorant. It's only there for the antiperspirant effect. Plenty of deodorants available that are not also an antiperspirant.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Painful knees, migraines, ingrown hairs, I've got issues like everyone else but body odor has never been one of them thankfully. I can get sweaty but I simply don't get that BO stink, nothing regarding lifestyle I assure you, it's entirely genetic. I have no need for deodorant or antiperspirant, and it makes me feel a little guilty. My eldest is now a teen, and he did not inherit that trait from me apparently, got his mom's armpits for sure. We did a deodorant round up for him not too long ago, he didn't like the Thai salt crystal or the Tom's of Maine, not strong enough for him and he really needs antiperspirant help. He decided he's using the super stong, aluminim having Degree until this puberty stuff calms down. It's preferable to taking spare shirts to school apparently.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Might check out Tom's of Maine, thanks. I was reading on the website for that stuff I'm using now and it mentioned that some might get irritation when switching from an aluminum deodorant. I'll keep using it for a bit more and see.

I don't know if there's been any definitive proof that the aluminum in deodorant is causing harm, but it can get absorbed by your body; it just unknown if that's bad (appears to be, if you have low kidney function). But it's not like I need to use the stuff, it didn't stop me from sweating anyway. It's pretty obvious to me that crap in the environment and finding its way into our bodies is causing more cancer, messed up hormone levels, total nosedive in testosterone levels, today. I'm not a Nazi about stuff but just trying to clean up things a bit.

Or maybe I secretly wanna be a hippie

(jk fk hippies)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's the baking soda in most natural antiperspirants deodorants that creates itchiness. I tried a few different ones but they were too itchy - I wanted to get away from the aluminum in antiperspirants as well.

I did try the Schmidt's all natural without baking soda but it didn't actually work as a deodorant. Baking soda seemed to be the key active ingredient in those for me.

Reactions: clamum

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Eh, no need to sweat it...

In short, fears over aluminum in deoderants aren't backed by scientific findings or results. I'm gonna stick to my Old Spice anti-perspirant.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Recently I decided to stop using the regular anti-perspirant/deodorant I've been using all my life cause of that aluminum crap in it. I'm trying to be more cognizant of crap I'm putting into my body, or gets put on my body, that might not be the best. Lotta crap messes with your hormones.

Anyway, I first tried using some Arm & Hammer Natural. Well that made my armpits itch insanely bad and I noticed they were pretty red (could've been from me itching or the deodorant, dunno). Stopped using it for a couple days and the itchiness went away. Ok. Then I just tried this Every Man Jack brand. What do ya know, makes my pits itch just like the A&H brand.

LMAO wtf 🐕. I try to stop using that aluminum deodorant and just get owned by the "natural" stuff. I guess I'll try a different brand? LOL fml

To be honest it probably wouldn't even be much of a difference between not using anything at all vs that natural stuff. It's not an anti-perspirant, so it's just deodorant, and it's not that noticeable anyway. I don't sweat, even barely at all working out, so yeah, probably wouldn't even notice much without using anything at all.
Try this:
1673832738213.png

No pit stains on your t-shirt.
and it's under 3oz so you can go on a plane with it in a carry-on

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Medical mask between the butt and underwear to act as a fart filter. We're all in this elevator together, do your part to stop the spread of deadly farts.
We have activated charcoal dressings at work for particularly ripe wounds, I should pinch some for post lentil curry duty!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I've never been keen on anti-perspirants, but I don't tend to sweat much unless I'm really exerting myself. I figure if my body wants/needs to sweat, I ought to let it just do that. So I just use deodorant.

Reactions: lxskllr

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I've been using Secret Powder Fresh anti-perspirant and deodorant for most of the last 20 years. The liquid gel version for some time now. I appreciate the gentle baby powder scent that isn't strong and does not mess up any colognes either. Thank you women's deodorant.

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
Just use Certain- Dri. No more wetness. For 3 days.
No buildup on shirts, though it WILL discolor fabric when you don a shirt before it dries totally. Also you'll feel a slight itch as the stuff dries.
It's a life-changer. I switched, like, 20 years ago. Never been so impressed by a product. No more wet or ruined clothes.

Using normal anti-perspirant, I suffered constant drips of sweat. Hyperhydrosis, I'd say. Exasperating. In retrospect, I'm wondering if those anti-perspirants MADE me sweat themselves.

L0360875.JPG

There's probably imitators out there by now. But I won't risk my money to try them out. Once you find the ideal solution - you stop looking.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
free.png
Y'know, without aluminum in my anti perspirant, I don't even know where I'd get my daily allowance of aluminum from. Would have to start chewing on beer cans or something.