Distant Worlds : Universe - released (+ Steam availability)

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
I know there are/were some Distant Worlds players on here.

Newest & final expansion is coming May 23 and will roll up all versions into a single release.

Here's the big news for some - Will be released on Steam

Release Thread :

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3609858

Distant Worlds: Universe will release through our Online Store as well as, for the first time, through Steam. As this includes both the new Universe expansion with greatly expanded modding support and the Ancient Galaxy storyline plus all previous releases, it will give new customers and existing customers a unified installation for future support and modding.

The base price of Distant Worlds: Universe will be $59.99 Download / $69.99 Physical. The Physical version is only available through our store and includes an updated and full color printed Distant Worlds series game manual.

For the release, it will be available at a pre-order price of $49.99 Download / $59.99 physical. This will be the pre-order price through Steam. As we don't do pre-orders through our own store, this will be our release price as well, with a post-release promotional period as with past Distant Worlds releases that allows early adopters to get the game for a lower price, after which it will revert to the permanent $59.99 / $69.99 price level.

We will also be offering existing customers a discount based on what parts of the series they own. It's a $10 discount per release, so if you own everything that's been released so far (Distant Worlds + Return of the Shakturi + Legends + Shadows) then during the post-release promotion period, your price to upgrade to Universe would be $9.99 Download or $19.99 Physical ($49.99 or $59.99 - $40 discount for four previous releases). There will be a page on our site where you can get the upgrade discount coupon. This upgrade will be available through our store only, we don't have a way of doing this through Steam. All you will need to get the upgrade coupon is the serial number for each release.

The release will be on May 23rd.

We plan for there to be one more Shadows update, but all future modding/feature/performance improvements will be based on the Universe level.

Here's a link with info on previous Distant Worlds release(s) :

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2319015

Bump (1/3/15) for award and updates (Post #33)

Last edited:

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Distant Worlds : Universe is now available on the Matrix site :

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/515/details/Distant.Worlds.-.Universe

It is today that Distant Worlds: Universe will hit the Matrix, Slitherine and Steam Stores. Distant Worlds: Universe is the latest in the popular Distant Worlds Series. The game will be available on our stores around 12.00 GMT and the Steam release will be around 4.00PM PDT. Distant Worlds: Universe combines all previous content in a single $ 60 package and expends on it by adding the Ancient Galaxy storyline, lots of balance changes and technical improvements and vastly expanded modding capabilities, making this the ultimate Distant Worlds experience! To celebrate this joyous occasion, we are giving you a $ 10 discount for everyone who purchases Distant Worlds: Universe within the first week of release.

Upgrade

For those who already own one or more games/expansions in the Distant Worlds series, we have created a system for you to upgrade to Universe. You will be able to get a $ 10 discount for every Distant Worlds game/expansion you own. This means that, if you Distant Worlds plus all three expansions, you will be able to generate a $ 40 coupon code for Distant Worlds: Universe. This is then added to the $ 10 release discount we are giving for a total of $ 50 off the regular price.

In order to generate this coupon, you must register your Distant Worlds content on the Matrix games Members Club. After you have done this, click the “My discount coupons” button on the right side. Here you will be able to get your coupon.

Note:Make sure to register ALL your Distant Worlds content before generating the coupon. It can only be done once, so if you do it before you registered all Distant Worlds keys, you will not be able to use the full discount!

After you have your discount, just add Universe to your card and enter the coupon code when required.

This upgrade system will remain in place until the end of August.

Steam

Today (or Saturday, depending on where you live), Distant Worlds: Universe will also be released on Steam. Everyone who buys Universe from our own stores will be able to redeem their Steam keys as soon as the game is released there. In order to do this, you must register you copy here. Next you can click the “Steam Keys” button in your profile page and press “Redeem Key”. You now have a Distant Worlds: Universe key you can activate on Steam.

For those upgrading with questions :

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3615511

The game is delayed on Steam, but as mentioned is available on the Matrix site - you still get a Steam Key if you buy it direct.

Distant Worlds forums :

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=782&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

Here's a link to the Steam forums as well :

http://steamcommunity.com/app/261470/discussions/

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
This is relevant to my interests. Shame I can't get the upgrade package on Steam though.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
@Baptismbyfire - the AI is pretty good.
Is it perfect, no, but no game has perfect AI.

When you consider that the AI can/is controlling literally thousands of ships for each AI Empire in real time, it's mighty impressive.

@GoodRevrnd - you can buy it on the Matrix site, and you can get a discount for each expansion you've got (I know you've played the earlier versions).
Then all you need to do is register you Serial # for Universe and you'll get a free Steam Key as well.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying here?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Oh, I didn't realize they'll give you a Steam key.

This upgrade will be available through our store only, we don't have a way of doing this through Steam.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Steam release still has two hours to go, though it's been live on the Matrix site for at least eight hours.

From the Steam Forum :

http://steamcommunity.com/app/261470/discussions/0/558756255897420874/#p3

erikr [developer] 7 hours ago
Hi Atuarre,

Any purchase of Distant Worlds: Universe through our store will give you the ability to get a free Steam Key to activate the game on Steam as well. Purchasing from our store also gives you an immediate download through our store. However, while you can activate the game on Steam with your key I don't think you'll be able to download it here (on Steam) until the release goes live on Steam later today.

We're posting instructions for the upgrade and steam key process in this forum as well as on our main forum here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=782

Regards,

- Erik

Also, make sure you've registered each version of DW you have (Original and each expansion) for an $10 off per version (up to $40 off).

You can do this in the Members Area I think or check out some more info here :

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3615476

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Oh, I didn't realize they'll give you a Steam key.

The discount ($10 off per version) can only be done on the Matrix site.
Also, the Box version is only available on the Matrix site.

The Steam site is $50 for the launch promotional.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
While I'm here I might as well add a post about Distant Worlds : Universe DRM.

From the Publishers/Developer Support :

http://steamcommunity.com/app/261470/discussions/0/558756255681883732/#p3

erikr [developer] 4 hours ago
Just FYI, our phlosophy is very much DRM-free, so the installers on our store for our games are just a straight serial number and install. Keep the file, keep the serial number, re-install as you wish. No DRM. Same goes for the DW: Universe installer in our store. For Steam, we did not add any additional DRM. For folks who consider the Steam client a form of DRM, there is always the version from our store as well which does not require purchase through Steam. Our goal is to make DW available to as many gamers as possible on their platform of choice, hassle-free.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Beta Patch 1.9.5.1 has been released (yesterday).

Includes some bug fixes and a Font adjustment as requested by many.

Also, here's one of the first reviews of Universe from Rock, Paper, Shotgun :

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/30/wot-i-think-distant-worlds-universe/

No tease before the jump here, let’s get straight to it. Distant Worlds: Universe is my favourite space strategy game. Not my favourite space strategy game released this week and not my favourite space strategy game released this year. It’s the definitive version of the best space strategy game I’ve ever played and I want to share the excitement with everyone, starting with an old friend. The transcript below explains all.

Last edited:

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
It was a fine enough DW review, but useless for Universe. But really, anyone who already has the game knows to just buy the expansions, so I guess it's appropriate to procure new converts.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I swear Matrix is the shittiest publisher with the shittiest website ever. So I have to pay on Plimus, register on Matrix, and then register on Slitherine to get my Steam key? But of course Slitherine won't recognize my password 90% of the time but logs me in on some attempts, and it won't send me a reset email. -_-

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I swear Matrix is the shittiest publisher with the shittiest website ever. So I have to pay on Plimus, register on Matrix, and then register on Slitherine to get my Steam key? But of course Slitherine won't recognize my password 90% of the time but logs me in on some attempts, and it won't send me a reset email. -_-

I don't understand the desire for Steam keys with this game. If you purchase the game from Steam, I completely get it. If you buy the game directly from Matrix, you get a DRM free installer. Why anyone would go through all the effort just to get the game on Steam after that is beyond me.

1. Buy Distant Worlds directly from the Matrixgames.com site.

2. Download DRM free installer

3. Play Distant Worlds.

As much as I like Steam, any opportunity to bypass all of the bloat is worth it.

Feb 4, 2009
Not owning the game, I find steam an easier place to keep games. To me its much better than tracking game keys or figuring out where to DL if I decide to revisit the game years later.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Not owning the game, I find steam an easier place to keep games. To me its much better than tracking game keys or figuring out where to DL if I decide to revisit the game years later.

I can definitely understand that. At least with Matrix games I find them easy. I just save the installer and drop the key in a text file and I'm done. Any patches it installs over the life of the game are generally kept in the game install directory tree so those can be saved easily also.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005

Well, you need to go through Matrix to get the discount for previous versions.

Did you get this sorted out?
I saw quite a few folks have password issues but they got them resolved through Customer Support.

Yeah, I know it's a pain, but it works.

Might be some info in here if you're still fighting this :

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3615476&mpage=1&key=

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Patch 1.9.5.2 coming out this week :

A preview of the v1.9.5.2 Change List
Coming this week...

This build has the following changes from 1.9.5.1:

CRASH FIXES
- fixed crash when drawing space monsters ("CheckFixNotInSystem")
- fixed rare crash when drawing ships
- fixed rare crash when drawing Empire Navigation Tool

BUG FIXES
- added *possible* fix for issue where view sometimes moves to top-left
- fixed issue where Steam Achievements were often being set prematurely
- fixed AI empires starting and then quickly ending Trade Sanctions - now always honor minimum time period
- fixed RepairBot components being downgraded to Damage Control by AI ship design
- fixed problems when loading and displaying research information when Windows set to some non-English languages (e.g. Turkish)
- ensured that pirate factions are generated at start of a new game when using an existing galaxy map
- slightly increased size of Tutorial screen to account for larger text

GENERAL GAME BALANCE
- adjusted default ship design templates for each race: Large Spaceports have more docking bays and construction yards, Mining Stations have more docking bays, shields and weapons
- low colony tax rates do not increase population growth rates as much as previously, but now make colony more attractive migration destination
- civilian ships now ensure they have enough reactors to power hyperdrives at full speed (same as state ships already did)
- Fighters now weighted higher when evaluating strength of potential attack targets
- AI now willing to build more military ships when at war, especially when have large cash reserves and powerful enemies
- AI now more willing to build more research stations at home colony at game start
- AI takes more care to avoid overspending on troops

EXPLORATION
- Exploration ships now scan for resources more quickly, moving on to next exploration target immediately once resources and ruins investigated
- increased amount of automated Exploration ships that are assigned to simply scout systems for colonization targets and ruins instead of performing full resource scan of system and all resources

FLEETS
- AI fleets are now better at coordinating multi-fleet attacks within own empire against single enemy target (beyond just coordinated fleet attacks with allies)
- increased ratio of AI-created large fleets versus small strike forces (i.e. more large fleets)

OTHER
- now force immediate update of stardate and cash display when open a new screen, e.g. Empire Summary screen
- possession of an operational planet destroyer negatively affects diplomatic relations with other empires ("We are envious of your huge strength and power")

Next Patch with more game adjustments (user requests) and features is in the works already for probable next week release.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Another 4X game eh?

I've gotten burned by so many 4X games lately, that I never play - Endless Space, Stardrive, etc, that unless a 4X game gets a 90 on Metacritic, I won't even look at it.

With all these new games, I find myself playing old favorites like Gal Civ 2 and Sins (although technically a RTS). Better graphics does not make a better game.

What's so special about this game?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I don't understand the desire for Steam keys with this game. If you purchase the game from Steam, I completely get it. If you buy the game directly from Matrix, you get a DRM free installer. Why anyone would go through all the effort just to get the game on Steam after that is beyond me.

1. Buy Distant Worlds directly from the Matrixgames.com site.

2. Download DRM free installer

3. Play Distant Worlds.

As much as I like Steam, any opportunity to bypass all of the bloat is worth it.

Maybe because 90% of the games I own are already on it and it's running all the time anyway so it's a lot easier to have DW there than to forget about keys and downloads from a random publisher.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Another 4X game eh?

I've gotten burned by so many 4X games lately, that I never play - Endless Space, Stardrive, etc, that unless a 4X game gets a 90 on Metacritic, I won't even look at it.

With all these new games, I find myself playing old favorites like Gal Civ 2 and Sins (although technically a RTS). Better graphics does not make a better game.

What's so special about this game?

It's been quite some time, but I've played Sins, and while entertaining, it's really a bit short and small, and fairly limited.
Nothing against it, but I got burnt out on Sins and probably won't even install it again.

I've got GC II Avatar or Gold version and have played a bit of it as well.
GC II may look a bit smoother, or maybe softer is a better word for the UI, it's a also a bit deeper than SoaSE.
My biggest initial gripe with GC II is the battles - actually, there are no real battles, they're just Movies.

In comparison to DW, both games are fairly simplistic and limited, even though in their own right they're both decent games.

In DW, you can have up to 1400 Star Systems, each containing various numbers of Planets, Moons, Asteriods, etc. (up to 50,000 Planets) - with real time Orbital motion.

Each Empire can have thousands of ships Military and Private controlled simultaneously in real time.

There is actually a pretty realistic Economy, not an estimation or simulation.
You can watch the Private Sector Freighters go pick up cargo resources (over 40 different ones that actually have specific uses) and then go deliver them where they're needed.
Prices for resources fluctuate based on supply and demand, which impacts the cost of Ship construction and maintenance (as each ship component requires a specific number of varying resources).

Battles are real time, and ship design/configuration effectiveness have a very real impact on the battle - there's not one specific design that's always going to win, there are lots of ways to win.

DW is not perfect (no game is), but it's a very deep game - I've highlighted a few items where it far exceeds the above two games.
There are also various levels of automation to take over any or all tasks.

It can be a very big game, I've had some that have lasted weeks.
If you look over some of Matrix's other games you can see that they tailor to a more Wargaming type player, and it's reflected in DW.

I don't know that it's going to get rave reviews from big sites, as it takes a while to get the hang of everything.
I've been playing DW and each of it's expansions as my only 4x type game for nearly four years, having played Civs I-IV, MoO's, MoM's, and so forth.

Take a look at the shear number of player reviews on the Steam forums already - I'd say well over 85% of them are positive, and some of the negative ones aren't even that bad (player prefs) :

http://steamcommunity.com/app/261470/reviews/

Last edited:

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
It's been quite some time, but I've played Sins, and while entertaining, it's really a bit short and small, and fairly limited.
Nothing against it, but I got burnt out on Sins and probably won't even install it again.

I've got GC II Avatar or Gold version and have played a bit of it as well.
GC II may look a bit smoother, or maybe softer is a better word for the UI, it's a also a bit deeper than SoaSE.
My biggest initial gripe with GC II is the battles - actually, there are no real battles, they're just Movies.

In comparison to DW, both games are fairly simplistic and limited, even though in their own right they're both decent games.

In DW, you can have up to 1400 Star Systems, each containing various numbers of Planets, Moons, Asteriods, etc. (up to 50,000 Planets) - with real time Orbital motion.

Each Empire can have thousands of ships Military and Private controlled simultaneously in real time.

There is actually a pretty realistic Economy, not an estimation or simulation.
You can watch the Private Sector Freighters go pick up cargo resources (over 40 different ones that actually have specific uses) and then go deliver them where they're needed.
Prices for resources fluctuate based on supply and demand, which impacts the cost of Ship construction and maintenance (as each ship component requires a specific number of varying resources).

Battles are real time, and ship design/configuration effectiveness have a very real impact on the battle - there's not one specific design that's always going to win, there are lots of ways to win.

DW is not perfect (no game is), but it's a very deep game - I've highlighted a few items where it far exceeds the above two games.
There are also various levels of automation to take over any or all tasks.

It can be a very big game, I've had some that have lasted weeks.
If you look over some of Matrix's other games you can see that they tailor to a more Wargaming type player, and it's reflected in DW.

I don't know that it's going to get rave reviews from big sites, as it takes a while to get the hang of everything.
I've been playing DW and each of it's expansions as my only 4x type game for nearly four years, having played Civs I-IV, MoO's, MoM's, and so forth.

Take a look at the shear number of player reviews on the Steam forums already - I'd say well over 85% of them are positive, and some of the negative ones aren't even that bad (player prefs) :

http://steamcommunity.com/app/261470/reviews/

have you tried sword of the stars

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
have you tried sword of the stars

I actually have it in my GOG library, but I haven't played it to date.

For what it's worth, here's a quote from someone that has played it :

. . .
Sword of the stars (1 not 2) has been my favorite game since it came out, yes it's better than MOO in every way.....that is until I played distant worlds which has completley unseated SotS as the best 4x game i've played.
This game is amazing.

Post #5 in this thread (and some other new player impressions) :

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3626931

Also, this looks to be the last day of sale pricing for this, it goes up $10 after that.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
What automation settings does everyone like to have a more classic 4x experience but not be grossly overwhelmed by micromanagement? I didn't ever actually play this game more than a few times (which was still a lot of hours actually) so I can't quite remember what I did.