Displayport = Fail

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
This is just one guys opinion but ever since switching from HDMI/DVI to Displayport, I have been very annoyed at one glaring thing. I have dual monitors and whenever I'm done on my PC, I turn them off. Sometimes, if I'm working on one monitor and don't need the other, I'll turn one off. But wonderful Displayport takes that as the monitor is disconnected and shifts everything over to whichever screen remains on. What's more, since that screen is now "disconnected" Windows defaults it to 640x480/800x600 (whichever, can't remember which one) so sometimes, and it's random, windows I had open will not reappear in the location I left them but rather piled in the top left corner. I've done some looking into this and it's not me just having the issue and I haven't found a good solution yet but it has to do with the polling rate of the connection, I believe. Why oh why would you make a standard that detects the monitor is disconnected when you just turn the thing off?!?! Makes ZERO sense to me. Apparently there is a workaround that usually resolves this for nVidia cards but us AMD owners are left to suffer. Anyone else here suffering this?

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
Displayport 1.3 doesn't do that. Look into your OS and what hacks you can do to prevent that.

Well my video card is an R9 280x which is Displayport 1.2 and my dual Dell U2410 monitors are Displayport 1.2 as well (I believe, Dell doesn't apparently like to post that) so I guess I'm SOL. As far as OS hacks, I haven't come across any that worked. I'm open to suggestions, though.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
have you tried using winkey+P to just disable that monitor when you don't want to use it, instead of physically turning it off?
still it really shouldn't cause any problems like you described.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Yep it's my one complaint about DP. I really wish there was a way to disable windows from auto adjusting the windows and thinking that it was disconnected. There is a part you can buy that turns off this "feature", but it also prevents freesync and other things from working properly.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Same problem, as soon as Windows goes to "turn off monitor" mode, it comes back with message and VGA resolution. Then I just switched back to DVI cable and forgot about the DP.

There's no manually turning off monitor from my side

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
Yep it's my one complaint about DP. I really wish there was a way to disable windows from auto adjusting the windows and thinking that it was disconnected. There is a part you can buy that turns off this "feature", but it also prevents freesync and other things from working properly.

I saw that part, too, but it seemed pretty rough around the edges, to be sure. Plus the price didn't exactly turn me on, I thought it was around $20 per device or something like that. Freesync isn't a problem with my monitor but I still don't want to pay money to fix something that shouldn't be broken.

Stop manually turning off one monitor??

I have but when I turn them both off it still does it. I would rather turn them off and be done with it then wait for them to go to sleep which I believe still shows up as a "turned off monitor".

Same problem, as soon as Windows goes to "turn off monitor" mode, it comes back with message and VGA resolution. Then I just switched back to DVI cable and forgot about the DP.

There's no manually turning off monitor from my side

I would go back to DVI/HDMI but I bought some nice long DP cables so I could do some good wire management since my dual monitors are on a desk mount arm. The DVI/HDMI cables I had were too short and I hate seeing cables. Guess I could buy some longer DVI/HDMI cables but this would still bug me.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Create an eyefinity group and it won't or shouldn't do that anymore since it's treated as one display and will stop resetting since the eyefinity group will override individual panel calls. The downside is well you're then running a logically as one display instead of two.

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
Create an eyefinity group and it won't or shouldn't do that anymore since it's treated as one display and will stop resetting since the eyefinity group will override individual panel calls. The downside is well you're then running a logically as one display instead of two.

Would that mean that games and such are stretched by default across two displays?

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Would that mean that games and such are stretched by default across two displays?

Not stretched but the display size would be both panels. You can however set your display to the size of one panel and it would afaik display on the main display. In eyefinity you can set the main display. The other panel would then just show black. You can try that out see if it works for you, if its less annoying hehe.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
The same thing has annoyed me quite a bit too. I use my monitor for my PS4 and XBone as well, and whenever I switch to one of them and back, all my windows are tiny and useless. It was even worse before, when I had my laptop (with a dock) and desktop both hooked up to it, as switching was far more frequent then.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
windows resets the size of the display to a default of 1024x768 when it turns off. there is some registry hacking you can do to change this which may alleviate some of your issue. also, for high resolution screens windows applies a scaling factor by default. if you change it from the default, windows overrides that when the monitor is turned off, reapplying the default scaling factor.

we discussed it a bunch in this thread:
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...ange-after-screen-saver-with-new-gpu.2476600/

ReignQuake

Dec 8, 2015
Mine likes to black-screen when I alt+tab during opening games, or occasionally when switching from full size to window. I have to either connect the TV to another port on either graphics card, or flip the on/off switch under my G-Sync monitor. Standby won't do it.

I never had this kind of issue with DVI or HDMI. Problem is my monitor will only do G-Sync via DP.

Last edited: