Display Settings for Xbox 360

American Gunner

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2010
I have my Xbox 360 hooked up via HDMI, but I want to make sure I have the best set up. What are the settings you guys use on the 360? I am talking about the ones you can change in the console settings?

American Gunner

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2010
But what about the other options. Like the Reference levels and color space? Those are the settings I am wondering about. I played the Walking Dead on both consoles, and I noticed that it was way darker on my 360, I couldn't even see the stairs I needed to go up in the first episode on my 360.

Truthslayer

Dec 21, 2010
I found this with a quick google: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/general_discussion/f/135/p/171713/936129.aspx, specifically Zacabeb's post over halfway down. This is over a year old and a couple of dashboard revisions ago, so I'm not sure if the bugs mentioned for output are still there. It's a good start as any, and makes me want to go back and recheck mine.

One good thing to try would be a HDTV calibration kit. I had one included with Halo 3 (though that was before connecting via HDMI; again, I need to rerun it now...) when I got that game, which worked as a good baseline as how things needed to be tweaked.

Ultimately, everyone's setup is different, and thus different settings will get comparable results with enough time.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
This is how I have mine set

Reference Levels: Standard (this enhances the black levels if you set to intermediate or expanded. I noticed black crush on my TV when I set it to anything except standard)
HDMI Color space: Source (matches to whether it's a game or movie and uses the appropriate one)

Then I used this to calibrate my TV. There's a download that you can burn to a DVD and play from your xbox 360.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The Xbox 360 surprisingly has very few tweaks you can do for the picture quality. The PS3 on the other hand has lots.