Display Port - Two Monitors

apostle83

Jun 13, 2010
Hello,

I'm running the same graphics card in several systems at my office, and the users all need dual monitors.

I know display port allows users to daisy chain at the monitor level. However, what I'm wondering is if there is a less costly converter available to spit the signal to two DVI's than this $61 converter: Link.

:hmm:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Nope. :)

To be honest, I was unaware that there was more than one standard for display ports.

Yep, Mini are usually found on macs, although they are spreading around a bit. dual display port adapters can be found at 10 bucks or so. I have tons at work as we go through so many of them.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Hello,

I'm running the same graphics card in several systems at my office, and the users all need dual monitors.

I know display port allows users to daisy chain at the monitor level. However, what I'm wondering is if there is a less costly converter available to spit the signal to two DVI's than this $61 converter: Link.

:hmm:

That's a dual-link DVI adapter, doesn't mean the same thing as dual DVI. Dual-link means it is a single DVI connector with double the data pins to increase bandwidth an accommodate higher resolutions. A single-link DVI connector can only do 1920x1200, a dual-link DVI connector can do up to 2560x1600.

So this isn't the adapter you're looking for. If you can find what you're looking for it's probably going to be at an Apple vendor like MacMall.com

edit: ouch http://www.macmall.com/p/Startech-Sw...92~pdp.gbfjeji

Last edited:

apostle83

Jun 13, 2010
Where can I find dual displayport adapters for 10 bucks? The cheapest I'm seeing them is $60ish... and I would love to have dual display port to dvi adapters for $10!

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Where can I find dual displayport adapters for 10 bucks? The cheapest I'm seeing them is $60ish... and I would love to have dual display port to dvi adapters for $10!

My bad. Single DP to DVI 11 bucks. Do those cards have a builtin dvi port? Can you use a single dp to dvi and the builtin dvi to hook up 2 monitors?

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006

You may get some better suggestions to solve this if you can describe the output(s) on the graphics card and input(s) on the monitors. Are you limited to a single DP out, and only DVI in on the monitors?

apostle83

Jun 13, 2010
On the graphics card, I have 1 DVI out, and 1 DP out.

On the monitors, I have 1 DVI in, and 1 VGA in. They're fairly late model Samsung monitors - 2243's.