Display Port - Two Monitors

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by apostle83, Jul 6, 2010.

1. apostle83

apostle83 Member

Hello,

I'm running the same graphics card in several systems at my office, and the users all need dual monitors.

I know display port allows users to daisy chain at the monitor level. However, what I'm wondering is if there is a less costly converter available to spit the signal to two DVI's than this $61 converter: Link.

:hmm:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Display Port Monitors Forum Date
    Need to output from display port to HDMI Video Cards and Graphics Dec 9, 2016
    Connecting a MiniDP 1.2 display cable to a Thunderbolt 3 port Video Cards and Graphics Apr 4, 2016
    Any benifit to switching to HDMI or Display Port cable for Image editing? Video Cards and Graphics Mar 31, 2016
    Third Monitor (Mini Display Port, Display Port Problem) Video Cards and Graphics Jul 7, 2012
    3 monitors, one card, no Display port = possible? Video Cards and Graphics Mar 19, 2010

3. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

That price is for MINI display port. Do you need mini?

4. apostle83

apostle83 Member

Nope. :)

To be honest, I was unaware that there was more than one standard for display ports.

5. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

Yep, Mini are usually found on macs, although they are spreading around a bit. dual display port adapters can be found at 10 bucks or so. I have tons at work as we go through so many of them.

6. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Golden Member

That's a dual-link DVI adapter, doesn't mean the same thing as dual DVI. Dual-link means it is a single DVI connector with double the data pins to increase bandwidth an accommodate higher resolutions. A single-link DVI connector can only do 1920x1200, a dual-link DVI connector can do up to 2560x1600.

So this isn't the adapter you're looking for. If you can find what you're looking for it's probably going to be at an Apple vendor like MacMall.com

edit: ouch http://www.macmall.com/p/Startech-Sw...92~pdp.gbfjeji

#5 NoQuarter, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  7. apostle83

apostle83 Member

Where can I find dual displayport adapters for 10 bucks? The cheapest I'm seeing them is $60ish... and I would love to have dual display port to dvi adapters for $10!

8. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

My bad. Single DP to DVI 11 bucks. Do those cards have a builtin dvi port? Can you use a single dp to dvi and the builtin dvi to hook up 2 monitors?

9. betasub

betasub Platinum Member

You may get some better suggestions to solve this if you can describe the output(s) on the graphics card and input(s) on the monitors. Are you limited to a single DP out, and only DVI in on the monitors?

10. apostle83

apostle83 Member

On the graphics card, I have 1 DVI out, and 1 DP out.

On the monitors, I have 1 DVI in, and 1 VGA in. They're fairly late model Samsung monitors - 2243's.