Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered error

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Hi Guys,

My GTX 460 keeps crashing when my system is idle and watching YouTube videos.

I've tried disabling hardware acceleration in Flash and it still keeps happening.

Now I've tried disabling adaptive power management, but I really need that feature as it saves me on my power consumption big time.

Do I need to RMA my card? Could it be driver related? I've been using the latest WHQL's and today I installed the new betas and it's happened with both but not with the drivers previous to those.

The rest of my specs if it matters:

2500k @ 4.5ghz
Asus P8P67
12gb ddr3

I'm going to try running my CPU at stock to see if that helps.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
I would definitely try running your cpu stock as you mentioned.
Any cpu/mem oc or stock errors that they throw , will most likely trip the vga driver.
It's constantly running the windows gui.
How are you running 12gb, I'll guess. 2-4gb and 2-2gb's ?
Try taking out the the 2-2gb's and see if that gains you stability.
Or move the cas up a number from 8 to 9 or 9 to 10.
Just for testing.
And you might want to do one thing at a time.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
What I just tried doing was to mod the bios to give the card a little more voltage at the bottom p-state.

If that fixes it I'm going to RMA my card once I upgrade to a GTX 560 Ti 448 and then I'll just sell it.

I actually have only 8gb in my system right now (4+4) because two of my ram slots don't work. I have to RMA my motherboard as well.

I have been in hardware hell lately. :(

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
When i was running my nvidia card,i was getting this error till i disabled aero in windows 7.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Ok so even with the increased voltage it's still crashing again and again.

I'll try running the CPU at stock. BRB

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Hi Guys,

My GTX 460 keeps crashing when my system is idle and watching YouTube videos.

I've tried disabling hardware acceleration in Flash and it still keeps happening.

Now I've tried disabling adaptive power management, but I really need that feature as it saves me on my power consumption big time.

Do I need to RMA my card? Could it be driver related? I've been using the latest WHQL's and today I installed the new betas and it's happened with both but not with the drivers previous to those.

The rest of my specs if it matters:

2500k @ 4.5ghz
Asus P8P67
12gb ddr3

I'm going to try running my CPU at stock to see if that helps.

Try upping the voltage a tad.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
What I just tried doing was to mod the bios to give the card a little more voltage at the bottom p-state.

If that fixes it I'm going to RMA my card once I upgrade to a GTX 560 Ti 448 and then I'll just sell it.

I actually have only 8gb in my system right now (4+4) because two of my ram slots don't work. I have to RMA my motherboard as well.

I have been in hardware hell lately. :(
lol, I probably would have thrown the pc out the window by now. I am having my own audio issues right now that are pissing me off. plug and play consoles are starting to look pretty good right about now...:mad:

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Well so far with the CPU at stock everything seems to be working fine.

I find it odd that my CPU is LinX and Prime stable at 4.5ghz but the silly nVidia driver trips it up.

I'll try overclocking it again once I RMA my motherboard. This is going to be my 4th motherboard over the past month. :(

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Well so far with the CPU at stock everything seems to be working fine.

I find it odd that my CPU is LinX and Prime stable at 4.5ghz but the silly nVidia driver trips it up.

I'll try overclocking it again once I RMA my motherboard. This is going to be my 4th motherboard over the past month. :(
that does seem odd. I had no idea that cpu overclocking would be related to that issue.

I never could get a regular cpu overclock stable on my system. it would pass all tests but would randomly blue screen when just idling. I finally gave up on the typical oc method and just raised my turbo to 4.4 on all 4 cores and have never had a problem since. it was also much simpler to do as I left everything on stock or auto except I raised TDP to 150 watts.

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
Another thing that seems to fix this (for me at least) is moving the card from the PCI-E x16 slot to the southbridge powered x4 slot.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
At stock CPU speeds I'm still having the problem.

I guess I will upgrade my GPU and RMA this card. :(

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
At stock CPU speeds I'm still having the problem.

I guess I will upgrade my GPU and RMA this card. :(
yeah I figured the cpu had nothing to do with display driver not working. lots of people have had this issue but so far I have been lucky.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
yeah I figured the cpu had nothing to do with display driver not working. lots of people have had this issue but so far I have been lucky.
Do you think this requires an RMA?

I've rolled my driver back to the one from February to see if it helps.

Mars999

Jan 12, 2007
YES!!! RMA it now...

I had the same issue with an MSI HAWK 460. I think they call it the dreaded TDR crash....

Nvidia has no idea what is causing it...

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78979

My replacement should be here tomorrow, curious to see what they send me... I hope it's a something other than a 460... but at least as fast as the HAWK version...

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Sounds like it could be the card. Any artifacts or weird screen changes?

I would double check the Power supply and ambient temps on the card and in the case just to be 100%.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
Try each and every PCI-E slot like Wall Street suggests just to see if the issue goes away, even if the card is running in a x4 or x8 slot.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
I'm having a similar issue with a 6850. Odd that it happens when I'm doing basic stuff on the computer, but not when gaming BF3. I'm going to try dissabling aero and rolling back drivers as updating to the lastest hasn't helped the last couple updates.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
SB,can u check the event viewer and post the entire message when it happens?Also if using beta pls rollback to the last whql driver.

RobertR1

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
My TDR errors were somehow related to IE. I switched to Chrome and haven't had the issue since.

To be fair, using onboard video is fine with IE. Just my 580/nvidia drivers doesn't play nice with IE on my machine.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
My TDR errors were somehow related to IE. I switched to Chrome and haven't had the issue since.

To be fair, using onboard video is fine with IE. Just my 580/nvidia drivers doesn't play nice with IE on my machine.

The TDR errors I was having with a 560Ti I had was Firefox related, never had an IE problem. Got rid of it because I never could solve the damned driver crashes on that card.

Soarixay

Apr 10, 2012

Setting my CPU clock down to 3800 instead of 4000 helped me to get rid of this little a**hole of a problem. Stock is 3500 phenom x4 deneb and I am currently using a Sapphire 6850. I'm assuming my PSU couldn't handle it probably (Thermaltake 600w non certified version). I also set ram to auto instead of 1333 but anytime I try to go 4k CPU with an overclocked GPU it seems to cause this problem.

OP what are the specs on your card? I have bad momentary memory but did you mention whether it was OCed or not?