Disney LucasArts Purchase: What It Means for Gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Speaking to Polygon about how Disney plans to use the franchises acquired from today's deal in future games, Iger said: "We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console.

That is the most disgusting thing I have ever read.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Does Disney even have a studio that does any actual PC gaming development?

I think all they do are console and casual games no?

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
Does Disney even have a studio that does any actual PC gaming development?

I think all they do are console and casual games no?
I think they license their ip's to companies like squarenix. I doubt they have anything in house. You can rest assure that their game will continue. Whetehr they will increase in quality is another thing. Bioware making a kotor mmo seemed like a good thing. That was until EA got it's clutches on them.

I could see squarenix doing some good things with the star wars IP though.

Aug 11, 2008
I think they license their ip's to companies like squarenix. I doubt they have anything in house. You can rest assure that their game will continue. Whetehr they will increase in quality is another thing. Bioware making a kotor mmo seemed like a good thing. That was until EA got it's clutches on them.

I could see squarenix doing some good things with the star wars IP though.

Yea, Star Wars seems like such a great universe, I just dont understand how they can keep coming out such lousy games. Everything was downhill after KOTOR. They could have made Repubic Commando 2, Battlefront 3, KOTOR 3, and what did they come out with, an MMO and two lame Force Unleashed games. Maybe Disney will be more open about licensing and some other studio will come up with a good game. Like I said though, my experince with Disney's social gaming is that they are just in it to make as much as they can on microtransactions and dont really care much about the game or the people who play it.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
I have my fingers crossed for a Jar Jar themed expansion for ToR. Or a ride at disneyland.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I personally think it all depends on Star Wars 7 and the reception that it gets. If they actually do it right (no 12 year old snot nosed kid and no Jar-Jar Binks), it could revitalize the entire franchise.

And where there is more money there is more opportunity. I would say that the comment about more social gaming being their focus is more like "Their immediate focus". That once they get into it, they may find opportunities. Certainly the book franchise is still going strong. And the Cartoon Clone wars TV show is pretty decent. They didn't spend all of that money to buy out the studio for nothing. They expect to make money off of it.

I'd bet that all someone has to do is smell money at the end of another game concept and they will be on that like tulips on an organ.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I personally think it all depends on Star Wars 7 and the reception that it gets. If they actually do it right (no 12 year old snot nosed kid and no Jar-Jar Binks), it could revitalize the entire franchise.

Not going to happen. The first question the company is going to ask the director is 'what tie in merchandise can we market to the 10 and under demographic.' That is the reason we have Jar Jar Binks, Ewoks, Pod Racers, and every talking animal in every movie ever. The Star Wars franchise makes many time more profit on merchandise then the movies themselves.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
LucasArts lots all their best people in the early 2000s when they shut down the adventure gaming division, including Steve Purcell and Tim Schafer. Most of them went to Telltale and Double Fine. Which was really unfortunate since most of their critically acclaimed titles weren't based on the Star Wars franchise.

They became a pain in the arse to work for after that, mostly due to unreasonable deadlines. Bioware swore they'd never do business with them again after KotOR. Guess EA changed their minds for TOR. Though that game hasn't exactly been a success story.

Disney does have a fairly good track record of publishing good games from existing franchises... back in the 90s. I'm not so sure about today. Though new blood injected into LucasArts, and more creative freedom, could get the ball rolling.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Disney's defunct video games unit made Tron 2.0. It's very outdated now but still fun. So don't dismiss them prematurely.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Not going to happen. The first question the company is going to ask the director is 'what tie in merchandise can we market to the 10 and under demographic.' That is the reason we have Jar Jar Binks, Ewoks, Pod Racers, and every talking animal in every movie ever. The Star Wars franchise makes many time more profit on merchandise then the movies themselves.

I think that Disney has done pretty good with the Marvel licenses that they took over. And I would also bet that they are listening hard and long to the criticisms of the most recent three movies. I'd bet that with the right director (Joss Wedon anyone?) they could make a return to the classic Star Wars.

Remember, You can merchandise the heck out of a license and still make a decent product. Just look at the Star Trek Franchise. And how commercial it got. Yet still came out with a decent number of awesome movies (Wrath of Khan, Save the Whales, Undiscovered Country, First Contact). And you think Rodenberry wasn't milking them for every penny? Because if you do, you should listen to some of the stars talk about their experiences. According to Armin Shimmerman, Paramount are the real Ferengi.