Disney LucasArts Purchase: What It Means for Gaming

hyrule4927

Feb 9, 2012
I'll continue to dream the impossible dream and hope for Battlefront 3 to be revived. :p

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I'd love to see a modern X-Wing, and Lucasarts has proven itself inept at making games for the most part, so lets hope Disney can see the market and brings us one.

Imagine one of those old Death Star missions in co-op... so many possibilities.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
I'd love to see a modern X-Wing, and Lucasarts has proven itself inept at making games for the most part, so lets hope Disney can see the market and brings us one.

Imagine one of those old Death Star missions in co-op... so many possibilities.

Yup

Could not imagine how amazing multiplayer would be to either assault or defend the Episode 6 Death Star

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
I wouldn't hold my breath for anything good to come of it.

Speaking to Polygon about how Disney plans to use the franchises acquired from today's deal in future games, Iger said: "We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console.

So low risk social and mobile cash ins and maybe some licensing. If I worked there I'd be wondering whether I want to work at the next Zynga or not.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Well Disney did say they don't have any real interest in making games outside of facebook casual, but they also said they are open to doing third party licensing.

I hope to see some of those old IP's that LucasArts was sitting on to either be sold off or be licensed out. I'd be very happy with an HD remake of Grim Fandango.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I am guessing what we will see in the future are games that either are based on theme park attractions or can be turned into theme park attractions.

-KeithP

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
New xwing, tiefighter, battlefront 3, rebellion 2, new jedi academy should be good to get things going.

Aug 11, 2008
I would kill (figuratively) for KOTOR 3. But I really have no hope for that, and very little hope that Disney will make anything more than social games.

My wife plays an online city type building game owned by Disney, and they seem to be just another EA type corporation now that only wants to milk the users for microtransactions and dont really care about customer service or providing a good gaming experience.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Movie wise should see something decent. Game wise... I dunno. I'm not expecting much out of Disney to be honest. Chris Roberts will supply us the next big space game I'm thinking not Disney/Lucas Arts but who knows...

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
If they said they're going to focus on social and mobile games, you can forget about anything good coming out of it. Go back to hanging on Obsidian's every word.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Maybe a Marvel Vs. SW fighting game in the veins of DC Vs. MK?

Hey, don't jump on me just yet, a SW fighting was developed (Masters of Teras Kasi)... and it wasn't that bad! Now, now seriously... a good Star Wars game? Well, maybe, time will tell. There's SW 1313 on the horizon, and that one might rejuvenate the franchise within the video gaming market, or it might just fail miserably. Although I do have... a new hope... bah, ok bad pun but it was intended.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Well Disney did say they don't have any real interest in making games outside of facebook casual, but they also said they are open to doing third party licensing.

I hope to see some of those old IP's that LucasArts was sitting on to either be sold off or be licensed out. I'd be very happy with an HD remake of Grim Fandango.

I wonder what that means for EA and their MMO?

Movie wise should see something decent. Game wise... I dunno. I'm not expecting much out of Disney to be honest. Chris Roberts will supply us the next big space game I'm thinking not Disney/Lucas Arts but who knows...

Lucas crushed my hopes with his prequels. Disney sounds like they are in it for the money. While that's an obvious statement, them declaring 3 new Star Wars movies starting in 2015 and then a new one ever 1-2 years after that means they want to recoup that 4 billion as fast as possible.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
them declaring 3 new Star Wars movies starting in 2015 and then a new one ever 1-2 years after that means they want to recoup that 4 billion as fast as possible.

Yup. And they will more than recoup that, I'm sure...

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
The last big Disney game I remember is Disney Universe, so even if they do make some Star Wars games don't expect anything more than kiddie shovelware.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
There is no way Disney will sit on the potential goldmine that is licensing the Star Wars universe. They may have no interest of doing anything in house but social and mobile gaming. But I'm sure they will gladly accept millions of dollars from an outside studio to develop X-wing Revolution or TIE Fighter 2012 or The Force Unleashed 3.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I actually think this change is good.

First off, George Lucas has always been a notorious control freak when it came to anything Star Wars related, and it can be argued that while his genius brought us Star Wars, he has been very stagnent in later years and has dropped the ball in numerous ways. I have great respect for George Lucas, but lately every decision he has made regarding his beloved franchises has degraded it. Not long ago he stated he was tired of the fans constantly bugging him about it and decided that he was done with Star Wars. Now he will be a consultant and let younger directors with big imaginations run the show. I'm excited with the prospects of someone like JJ Abrams taking things in a new direction.

Second, Disney has shown incredible restraint in not screwing up things that are good. Pixar and Marvel still operate with alot of autonomy and there is no reason to believe Lucasfilm won't be the same. Many of the same people who have worked for Lucas all of these years are still going to be running Lucasfilm, so I don't see anything bad there. Also, while I think we can all be assured Disney will use Lucasfilm to increase it's family safe entertainment, there is no evidence to suggest that the next Star Wars Trilogy won't follow in the the spirit of early Lucas, especially given the price tag.

That said, LucasArts has the most to benefit from this. As far as I'm concerned LucasArts hasn't released a truly great game in many years and George Lucas obviously wasn't interested in trying new things. With PC gaming starting to boom and new blood being pumped in, I can't help but to be excited.

It's especially awesome when someone like Chris Robert's is blantantely telling the gaming community that it's time we bring back what made PC gaming great. LucasArts holds the keys to two of the greatest space combat franchises in PC gaming history. With Star Wars Ep.7 confirmed, I can't imagine that LucasArts won't try to really push Star Wars back to the front of gaming.

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
a gritty republic commando 2!

unfortunately it probably will never get made or would be horribly done and compared to Jar Jar Binks in clone armor.