Disk imaging software with rescue media that can be set to automatically backup

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I'd like to make a super simple drive clone that I can run my wife's PC by just plugging in a USB key or inserted a CD or whatever. Basically I don't want to perform any actions besides plugging the key in, so that she could do it. I do not want to run it from within Windows, because I don't trust that type of backup and I'd also like to use this same concept on linux machines that typically lack an installer anyway.

I see that macrium can actually create a rescue media that will automatically restore an image to a disk, but not create/update an image from the disk. At least, I've had no luck finding a reference to the later.

The closest thing I've found so far is its probably possible to do with clonezilla. But I'm not sure clonezilla can seamlessly realign partitions for SSDs so I'm not sure its the best choice. I'm looking for some other options.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
This might help.

BTW, most cloning programs even if they are invoked from Windows do not actually use Windows OS for the Cloning.

:cool:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Are you talking about Windows to Go? It's only available to Enterprise & Education versions. But it's no longer supported after v2004.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
No.

I'm talking about a bootable CD (or USB) (can use WinPE or linux as its bootable OS, I don't care) which is typically called rescue media. I've used Norton Ghost, Macrium Reflect, Acronis and Clonezilla over the years. But the feature I'm looking for is I can specify that it automatically performs an action after booting and hopefully shut down after success. The action being creating a drive image from one disk to a file on another disk. Macrium can automatically perform a restore at least.

I can't find anything about Acronis doing this.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have used Mondo Rescue to build bookable recovery/backups in the past on Linux systems. It supposedly works for windows as well, but I have never tried it and not sure how well it works.

(Sorry just noticed the autocorrect than changed mondo to monday)

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Clonezilla bad, currently owned by russians.
It's owned and developed by Taiwan National Center for High-performance Computing (NCHC)

Last edited:

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Fair. Still support the WinPE/DISM method. DISM copies the drive bit by bit, which is useful when you're imaging a system leveraging UEFI.

It's owned and developed by Taiwan National Center for High-performance Computing (NCHC)