Dishnetwork gurus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2003
Quickie question - I currently have a vip 722 that's used primarily for my living room tv, with the 2nd "share view" hookup going to our bedroom. This config felt like it worked well, until we had a guest who watched tv all night while the other tuners were on DVR duty - basically that meant that we couldn't watch live tv in the bedroom.

Since this is pretty annoying, i'd like to upgrade to 2nd receiver upstairs. My questions are:
1. The coax used for shared view - is that a coax meant only to repeat one dvr's signal, or can that be hooked up directly to a new receiver for full, independent use

2. Can I just buy a receiver on ebay and call dish to authorize the box? I called dish and they want $150 (not bad) + a 2nd contract (bad) for a new receiver. With fios rolling out slowly in my city, a 2nd 2 year contract seems like a bad idea.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
1. The coax for shared view likely runs from an out port on your vip 722 to your second TV. This would not work for a new receiver. Dish might need to connect some sort of box for your second receiver. I had two DirecTV receivers, and they had to install a box between the dishes and the two receivers in order to feed both of them.

2. I can't help you with that one. You might try reading over at dbstalk.com. There's a lot of good info over there. You might also be able to find out how much other people are paying for additional receivers. $150 and another contract sounds a bit steep.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
1. you cannot connect another receiver to that cable. You need a switch that will divide the signal for two boxes. It would mount on the outside of the home usually were the cable for the first box enters the home. Then you would run the cable to your second box from that switch.

DP34.jpg

2. Do not buy used boxes. Satellite companies will not authorize them 99% of the time. If the boxes have any remaining balance attached from the previous owner often you have to pay that to use the box if they decide to allow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.