Discussion of ATI vs Nvidia build quality and other topics

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: chizow
No, its really irrelevant. If I have a board in one hand with 12 layers, and another in the other with 8 layers, the one with 12 would clearly have better build quality regardless whether those layers were needed or not.

Again not if those PCB layers were needed. If you have one card that NEEDS 8 layers and one that NEEDS 10 layers and the manufacturer decides to put 2 extra layers on both cards...how can you say the one with 12 layers is for sure higher quality than the one with 10 layers? Judging the quality of 2 different cards by the number of PCBs is near impossible as there are so many different factors that can decide the quality. For example, the power consumption of the 8800GTX, 9800GTX, and GTX 260 are actually very similar (from xbitlabs reviews) so maybe due to whatever components and layout they used on the 8800GTX and 9800GTX they required the 12 layers whereas the 260 might have needed more because of the different memory bus in order to keep signals clean. Comparing the SAME card with the SAME components and layout you might be able to judge the quality on PCB layers but doing it for different cards is difficult IF you are looking for the real answer.

A much better measure of quality would be the safety/tolerance margins for the components used, but as I said you wouldn't know any of that unless you were part of the engineering team that designed the cards. And it's pretty obvious you don't have any of that information. If you do, please enlighten us.

But its obvious they weren't needed, if it were subsequent designs would need to provide similar build quality in order to sustain that level of performance. Instead we see higher performing parts with less PCB layers.

The parts they switched over to 55nm and different components (eg. 260 55nm) have fewer PCB layers so again, maybe with the newer components and lower power consumption they don't need the extra layers.

There was a thread a little while back that showed the failure rates from some vendors in Europe and the GTX280 and the 3870x2 were leading the pack at a 10% RMA rate with the GTX 260 close behind. So where's the quality? Just so you and everyone else is clear, I'm not saying ATI has better build quality (I don't have the knowledge to make a statement like that) but you made a blanket statement that nV has better build quality, which is obviously not accurate and one you can't possibly prove (I mean really prove in a technical manner, not just making assumptions based on what you think constitutes higher quality).

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: thilan29
Again not if those PCB layers were needed. If you have one card that NEEDS 8 layers and one that NEEDS 10 layers and the manufacturer decides to put 2 extra layers on both cards...how can you say the one with 12 layers is for sure higher quality than the one with 10 layers? Judging the quality of 2 different cards by the number of PCBs is near impossible as there are so many different factors that can decide the quality.
You can't be serious with this. Again, whether or not the additional layers are needed is irrelevant, the fact there are additional layers used is an objective measure of build quality, its really that simple. If you put two cards next to each other and one had more layers on the PCB then it absolutely would indicate higher build quality regardless of how it performed or whether it needed the extra layers or not. To give a relevant example of this, if I placed an 8800GTX next to a 4850 or GTS 250, I could absolutely come to the conclusion the 8800GTX had higher build quality with its more complex PCB, even if performance of the 4850 and GTS 250 were better or similar.

For example, the power consumption of the 8800GTX, 9800GTX, and GTX 260 are actually very similar (from xbitlabs reviews) so maybe due to whatever components and layout they used on the 8800GTX and 9800GTX they required the 12 layers whereas the 260 might have needed more because of the different memory bus in order to keep signals clean. Comparing the SAME card with the SAME components and layout you might be able to judge the quality on PCB layers but doing it for different cards is difficult IF you are looking for the real answer.
Actually comparing those parts lends creedence to the board partner's claims about Nvidia's reference designs being overkill, particularly the 9800GTX as I already mentioned earlier. The part was shown to be perfectly functional on a lower end PCB with the G92 GTS, was upgraded to the high-end reference board with the 9800GTX and 9800GTX+, and was again significantly downgraded again on the GTS 250. The chip was essentially the same throughout with a die shrink mixed in, but clearly was able to function at nearly identical speeds and performance on a much lower quality PCB that required less power overall.

A much better measure of quality would be the safety/tolerance margins for the components used, but as I said you wouldn't know any of that unless you were part of the engineering team that designed the cards. And it's pretty obvious you don't have any of that information. If you do, please enlighten us.
Once again, none of that is necessary as the proof is in the pudding. We can definitively determine superior physical build quality based on components and processes used and we can verify based on actual parts and performance.

The parts they switched over to 55nm and different components (eg. 260 55nm) have fewer PCB layers so again, maybe with the newer components and lower power consumption they don't need the extra layers.
Or maybe they didn't need such advanced PCBs to begin with and Nvidia just chose to err on the side of build quality for more reliable performing parts. Again, refer to the links I already provided indicating as much. The 55nm parts consume similar power, perform at a higher level, yet accomplish this despite "inferior" build quality and components, which to me clearly shows the reference boards were over-engineered to begin with.

There was a thread a little while back that showed the failure rates from some vendors in Europe and the GTX280 and the 3870x2 were leading the pack at a 10% RMA rate with the GTX 260 close behind. So where's the quality? Just so you and everyone else is clear, I'm not saying ATI has better build quality (I don't have the knowledge to make a statement like that) but you made a blanket statement that nV has better build quality, which is obviously not accurate and one you can't possibly prove (I mean really prove in a technical manner, not just making assumptions based on what you think constitutes higher quality).
Actually I believe that list had the GTX 280 and the 3870X2 at 10% and the rest of the field at ~5%, but if I had to guess more complex, higher performing parts have a higher failure rate or incompatibility rate. For example, the additional 8-pin connector over 2 x 6-pin by itself is a significant roadblock as it can often be the difference between a sub-500W PSU being sufficient or not. That additional 75W supplied and additional 12V rail amperage can often determine whether or not a PSU is sufficient.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
It seems that NVIDIA is going for the best performance standpoint while ATI is going for the best bang for buck. I'll take best bang for buck anyday.

Guys, don't forget that different review sites are using different CPUs, RAM, etc etc. so there will be SLIGHT differences in terms of FPS, even if the game settings are the same.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: chizow
You can't be serious with this. Again, whether or not the additional layers are needed is irrelevant, the fact there are additional layers used is an objective measure of build quality, its really that simple. If you put two cards next to each other and one had more layers on the PCB then it absolutely would indicate higher build quality regardless of how it performed or whether it needed the extra layers or not.

I see. So if one card needed 12 layers and another only needed 8 but was built with 10...the one with 12 is higher quality, even though it is running closer to its limits? That's a pretty funny metric.

You can debate performance/cooling/power/partners/etc. with reviews and info available to us but whether you choose to believe it or not, you can't do it with something much more technical like build quality IMO.

I'm not an electrical engineer nor do I design PCBs and I don't think you are either (and if you are you've yet to give any actual technical proof of your claims) which is why I haven't claimed one way or another which cards have higher quality. This isn't really going anywhere so I think I'll bow out but thanks for the debate. :beer:

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Keysplayr
Originally posted by: Creig
Originally posted by: Keysplayr
What does this really matter anyway Creig, Wreckage? Is it that important to you guys? Just read the final conclustions I posted from each review site. These cards are too close to call. They both encroach on stock GTX280/285 on many occasions. If there are any I missed, please link it and I'll add them. Take a step back guys, and realize your argument is kind of senseless. IMHO.

Oh, I totally agree Keys. I personally believe a stock 4890 and the GTX 275 are pretty much neck and neck. It looks like we have another 4870 vs GTX 260 battle shaping up all over again.

It's only when Wreckage comes out saying things like, "An overclocked 4890 keeps up with a stock 275...Which puts it behind the 280 & 285." and "So at stock that puts the 4890 in 4th place." that somebody needs to step in and correct him.

Ok, so maybe then try to avoid reviews that use overclocked models from either camp. Might be hard to find, but when one is o/c'd and the other is not, it kind of renders the whole review bogus. again IMHO.

I agree but also disagree. One should keep in perspective that while most will not overclock their cards (I personally don't bother anymore, new daughter, no time), there are still many who still do, not to mention vendors who sell overclocked cards. So while the "main course" of a video card review should be on stock performance, a thorough review should also include overclocked results so that we get an idea of how it performs overclocked.

I also don't think someone like Creig is in it so much to be right as it is annoying having all the lies and half-truths posted from nVidia fanboys (of which "W" is probably the most annoying and most vocal).

I am pretty impartial when it comes to video cards and who is winning what. While I admit that three of the last four video cards I have purchased are from ATI (9700, X1900, 8800GTS, 4870), I'm not really biased for or against either company. I really care only about bang for the buck. Because ATI is usually second, they offer very good value in the mid range and slightly up from that. That's why most of my purchases have been from ATI.

Most ATI fanboys are not that annoying (they have their annoyances), but the nVidia fanboys, they remind me of Mac fanboys. Pure rabid enthusiasm for their products (not a bad thing, it's your money and I hope you get enjoyment however you send it) who will rant and rave at anyone who dares criticize or even think that nVidia might be less than godly (extremely extremely annoying). And I'm someone who owns an iPod and iPhone. Sometimes I wish ATI would absolutely crush nVidia. Not because I hate nVidia, just so the morons can shut their trap for a second or three.

You're starting to veer off to into the territory of personal attacks, and it's time to get your posts back on track.

AmberClad
Video Moderator

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
chizow, where's wreckage??? How do you fight the good fight all by yourself??

edit: damnit...n/m. I guess it was wishful thinking...

edit part deux: akugami, wreckage and chizow would not "shut their traps" if nvidia folded, they'd just spend the next 10 years explaining why the 8800gtx is still better than the hd 7890 and claiming that physix rox.

I know this is not the first time I've seen you jumping into a thread for the sole purpose of flamebaiting Wreckage and/or chizow. The next time I catch you doing this, it's not going to be a warning.

AmberClad
Video Moderator

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: thilan29
I see. So if one card needed 12 layers and another only needed 8 but was built with 10...the one with 12 is higher quality, even though it is running closer to its limits? That's a pretty funny metric.

You can debate performance/cooling/power/partners/etc. with reviews and info available to us but whether you choose to believe it or not, you can't do it with something much more technical like build quality IMO.

I'm not an electrical engineer nor do I design PCBs and I don't think you are either (and if you are you've yet to give any actual technical proof of your claims) which is why I haven't claimed one way or another which cards have higher quality. This isn't really going anywhere so I think I'll bow out but thanks for the debate. :beer:
That's fine if you disagree, but I'll leave it with this that might help better illustrate what I'm talking about. I actually came across this exact situation last week when parting out my i7 rig, but you can clearly see the impact of build quality in the following examples:

Corsair DDR3 PC3 12800 "Dominator"
Corsair DDR3 PC3 12800 "XMS3"

The specs on those parts are identical, same speed, latencies, timings, voltages. But if you look at the pictures, the Dominators clearly have higher build quality. They have their own press kit detailing the additional PCB layers, ICs, extended PCB, and cooler. You can clearly see, without a doubt, that the Dominators offer higher build quality even though a lower build quality is perfectly acceptable for that same performance level. Are they worth the additional 2x price tag? Probably not, and most others would probably agree as you can see the XMS3 are currently sold out now.