Discrimination in the name of religion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I am guessing the airline company and passengers wanted to get their destination instead of wasting time dealing with that *****. I would have given him a seat surrounded by various women if the situation was under my control.

Then again, that's where today's conservatives are. They don't dare to speak in favor of discriminating against racial minority, at least on the surface, but they are comfortable against women, it seems. And of course the justification is "religious freedom." (as if religious doctrines did not support other invidious discrimination in the past)
What the hell are you taking about? Jews vote primarily Democrat. Read a little before you spout off.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What the hell are you taking about? Jews vote primarily Democrat. Read a little before you spout off.

The Hasidim think and vote very differently than what people generally think of when they talk about Jews in America.

I think it would be hard to describe the Hasidic community as anything other than extraordinarily conservative.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
The Hasidim think and vote very differently than what people generally think of when they talk about Jews in America.

I think it would be hard to describe the Hasidic community as anything other than extraordinarily conservative.

I didn't realize that the Jewish vote in New York was changing due to growing number of Orthodox Jewish residents. Based on your comments I performed a search and was surprised to find this article that backs up your comments on the Hasidic community.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/s...l-jewish-voters-a-thing-of-the-past.html?_r=0

Are Liberal Jewish Voters a Thing of the Past?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

You are right, I grouped them together and shouldn't have. My apologies to lopri.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Galit, another traveler on the flight, said the ultra-orthodox passengers suggested she and her spouse split up to better accommodate their desired seating arrangements: 'Why should I agree to switch places?' she said with anger to Shalom Life.

After she refused, the unltra-Orthodox man known as Haredim ended up swapping with her after he continued to stand in the aisle as soon as the plane had taken off.

Many passengers have reported that after takeoff a large portion of the travelers took to the aisles to pray which causing them to become crowded and flight attendants unable to serve drinks or distribute meals.

'I went to the bathroom and it was a mission impossible, the noise was endless,' Galit said

pilot should have turned around and had the cops waiting to arrest every single one of them.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
pilot should have turned around and had the cops waiting to arrest every single one of them.

That is exactly what I am thinking.

Everyone of them should have been charged with violating womens civil rights. Nobody should feel uncomfortable because of their age, sex, religion or race.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

This.^^^

I didn't realize that the Jewish vote in New York was changing due to growing number of Orthodox Jewish residents. Based on your comments I performed a search and was surprised to find this article that backs up your comments on the Hasidic community.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/s...l-jewish-voters-a-thing-of-the-past.html?_r=0

They are their own animal. I wouldn't lump them in with most Xian or tea party groups either. When I hear some of the paranoid conspiracies regarding Muslims and Sharia law in america that sometimes come from the Right, I think that these places already exist in the most conservative Jewish communities. We had a thread a while back about this.

Its not correct to assume Jewish always means some liberal urban secularist (eg Seinfeld, etc.) The spectrum is just as broad as any other, but there is substantial growth in the orthodox.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
They are their own animal. I wouldn't lump them in with most Xian or tea party groups either. When I hear some of the paranoid conspiracies regarding Muslims and Sharia law in america that sometimes come from the Right, I think that these places already exist in the most conservative Jewish communities. We had a thread a while back about this.

Its not correct to assume Jewish always means some liberal urban secularist (eg Seinfeld, etc.) The spectrum is just as broad as any other, but there is substantial growth in the orthodox.

The most interesting aspect of it is that the rabbis exert enormous influence over how the community votes, etc, and they generally do so as a group. Basically the guy in charge says how to vote and they all do.

They don't care about US or even local policy except for how it affects them. I would (broadly) describe their social policy preferences as extraordinarily conservative. In a fiscal sense all they care about is what's best for their community. If that were tax cuts that they got that would be fine. If that were increased spending that benefited them, that would be fine too.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
New York is now home to a gender-segregated playground thanks to the Satmar community of Kiryas Joel.

Today, the ultra-Orthodox town opened its very own childhood oasis, complete with four widely-spaced and completely necessary sections: one for fathers with their sons, a second for mothers with their daughters, a third for just boys and a fourth for just girls.

The playground facilities for males are blue, for females red and white.

A Yiddish sign welcoming visitors to the Orange County play area asks that visitors “maintain gender separation in all public areas” and each of the aforementioned sections has big blue signs indicating where to play, according to images posted of the soon-to-be-controversial park.

In addition, the Committee of Modesty of Kiryas Joel, which has previously been scrutinized for operating like a Hasidic KGB, will be supervising the park to ensure that no inappropriate activities take place between the rugrats.

Read more at http://observer.com/2013/04/kiryas-joel-sex-segregated-park-opens-in-new-york/#ixzz3EiedaAiR
Follow us: @newyorkobserver on Twitter | newyorkobserver on Facebook

Eventually sued by the ACLU.

kiryas_pink.jpg

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
The most interesting aspect of it is that the rabbis exert enormous influence over how the community votes, etc, and they generally do so as a group. Basically the guy in charge says how to vote and they all do.

They don't care about US or even local policy except for how it affects them. I would (broadly) describe their social policy preferences as extraordinarily conservative. In a fiscal sense all they care about is what's best for their community. If that were tax cuts that they got that would be fine. If that were increased spending that benefited them, that would be fine too.

My experience exactly. Have some family & friends in upstate NY and the relations between the orthodox community and the surrounding areas is very bad due to this.

Obviously the Tri-state area is incredibly diverse, but I can't think of any other place like this in America. Maybe some of the fundamentalist Mormon groups in SE Utah, but even then they are generally small and secretive as to not attract the attn of the more mainstream LDS community.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
This.^^^

I always knew that there was a difference between Orthodox and run of the mill Jews. As some sects require the women to wear clothing much like Muslim women are in some regions. I see them to be in line with some of the more strict Muslim sects that are governed by the true Sharia law*.

I just never realized how much their voting block had grown in New York.

*Not the Sharia law being put forth by those that follow radicalized version Islam being seen today in some areas.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) is a United States-based Christian denomination. It is the world's largest Baptist denomination and the largest Protestant body in the United States, with nearly 16 million members as of 2012.[1] This also makes it the second largest Christian body in the United States, after the Catholic Church.[2]

Beginning in the early 1970s, as a reaction to their perceptions of various "women's liberation movements",[57] the Southern Baptist Convention, along with several other historically conservative Baptist groups,[58] began as a body to assert its view of the propriety and primacy of what it deemed "traditional gender roles". In 1973, at the annual meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention, delegates passed a resolution that read in part: "Man was not made for woman, but the woman for the man.

Article XVIII. The Family. The husband and wife are of equal worth before God, since both are created in God's image. The marriage relationship models the way God relates to his people. A husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the church. He has the God-given responsibility to provide for, to protect, and to lead his family. A wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband even as the church willingly submits to the headship of Christ. She, being in the image of God as is her husband and thus equal to him, has the God-given responsibility to respect her husband and to serve as his helper in managing the household and nurturing the next generation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Baptist_Convention#Gender-based_roles

Nov 25, 2013
You know exactly what I meant. Discrimination is not tolerated.

How many hours was the flight held up?

It is sad when any group is discriminated against, much less in the name of religion and women.

Have you contacted the airline to voice your displeasure yet?