Discover Card 5% cash back at RESTAURANTS, movie theaters, and movie rental stores

phisher4

May 3, 2003
I didn't see anyone else post this yet, so...

Link

The promotion ends at the end of the October, and you're limited to something like $500 cash back (but if you're eating out that much, you've got problems IMHO).

Also note that Discover Platinum Gas, Home Improvement, Restaurant and Education Cardmembers are not eligible to participate.

Have fun charging away :)

Frykun

Oct 5, 2002
Saw it on Discover's site, called in, signed up.
Signed up because my new Citi card has a $300 CB limit

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Originally posted by: phisher4
I didn't see anyone else post this yet, so...
Link
The promotion ends at the end of the October, and you're limited to something like $500 cash back (but if you're eating out that much, you've got problems IMHO).
Also note that Discover Platinum Gas, Home Improvement, Restaurant and Education Cardmembers are not eligible to participate.
Have fun charging away :)

Where do you see that you can get 500.00 cash back? I was with two of their promotions this last year. One was 5% back for grocery stores but there was a 25.00 CB limit. The second one that just ended in August was 5% CB for select gas stations and the CB limit was 20.00. So for me the grocery purchases were paid to only 500.00 in purchases and the gas was paid to only 400.00 in purchases. Are you sure the 500.00 is not the restaurant total you can purchase with the 5% total of 25.00. The only reason I say that is from the past promotions and the 500.00 CB seems out of line with those past promotions.
I can't find anything on their website about the totals.

weepul

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
www.hd-trailers.net
when u said this promotion ends in october, is the the expiration date to get the card? or the expiration date of the 5% promotion itself?

//krunk (^_^x)

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: esquared
Where do you see that you can get 500.00 cash back? I was with two of their promotions this last year. One was 5% back for grocery stores but there was a 25.00 CB limit. The second one that just ended in August was 5% CB for select gas stations and the CB limit was 20.00. So for me the grocery purchases were paid to only 500.00 in purchases and the gas was paid to only 400.00 in purchases. Are you sure the 500.00 is not the restaurant total you can purchase with the 5% total of 25.00. The only reason I say that is from the past promotions and the 500.00 CB seems out of line with those past promotions.
It's like the grocery one "subject to a cap of $500 in purchases." I signed up when it started since the 5% is better than what you get if you don't sign up. :) Oh, it ends the end of November, not the end of October.

"If you participate in a Cashback Bonus Program, sign up to earn 5% Cashback Bonus on purchases made at restaurants, movie theaters and movie rental stores from 9/1/05 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 11/30/05, subject to a cap of $500 in purchases. Offer applies to purchases that are submitted to us under Merchant Category Codes 5812, 5813, 5814, 7832 and 7841. Allow up to 5 weeks for this reward to be added to your Cashback Bonus Account. You will continue to earn a Cashback Bonus of up to 1% of all other purchases. Discover Platinum Gas, Home Improvement, Restaurant and Education Cardmembers are not eligible to participate in this promotion. See Cashback Bonus Terms and Conditions for further details."

GeneValgene

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: allisolm
Originally posted by: esquared
It's like the grocery one "subject to a cap of $500 in purchases." I signed up when it started since the 5% is better than what you get if you don't sign up. :) Oh, it ends the end of November, not the end of October.

"If you participate in a Cashback Bonus Program, sign up to earn 5% Cashback Bonus on purchases made at restaurants, movie theaters and movie rental stores from 9/1/05 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 11/30/05, subject to a cap of $500 in purchases. Offer applies to purchases that are submitted to us under Merchant Category Codes 5812, 5813, 5814, 7832 and 7841. Allow up to 5 weeks for this reward to be added to your Cashback Bonus Account. You will continue to earn a Cashback Bonus of up to 1% of all other purchases. Discover Platinum Gas, Home Improvement, Restaurant and Education Cardmembers are not eligible to participate in this promotion. See Cashback Bonus Terms and Conditions for further details."

doh!! that stinks

phisher4

May 3, 2003
Allisolm has it right. You're limited to $500 in restaurant purchases for the 5%, for a grand total of $25.

But it's better than the measly 1% or less that you normally get. Sorry about the confusion.

Also Discover has a dedicated restaurant card for those that eat out alot. It has a reverse-tiered system:

"Earn cash rewards on purchases made with your Card. Each year, earn a full 1% (5% for restaurants) of your first $1,500 in purchases; your second $1,500 in purchases earn .50% (3% for restaurants) and purchases in excess of $3,000 earn .25% (1% for restaurants)."