Disassembling old imac?

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
We are trying to set up a linux cluster using a bunch of iFruits (rev C imacs). Is it possible to disconnect the power to the monitor, and have the cpu tray still function? The monitors generate too much heat.

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Forgive me if these are stupid questions, but...

Does a Mac have bios like a PC where you can set the monitor to shutoff after X min? If not that, can you use such power savings under linux? iMac's are certainly new enough they should have energy savings like that supported, be surprised if they dont'.

tRaptor

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
You cant do that in a BIOS, Macs have BIOSs but they are not user mess around able with.

You should be able to disconnect the moniter from the inside. I beleive they have a normal PC style VGA plug. But then i think you'll still have to dissable power to the monitor.

~Tillz

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: tRaptor
You cant do that in a BIOS, Macs have BIOSs but they are not user mess around able with.

You should be able to disconnect the moniter from the inside. I beleive they have a normal PC style VGA plug. But then i think you'll still have to dissable power to the monitor.

~Tillz

I've taken the bottom tray off of one, but it didn't answer my question. The display connector is the standard apple display (requires an adapter for vga). I've read that the power supply closely follows atx specifications, now I'm trying to find out exactly how closely. If we could just hook an atx powersupply up to the bottom tray, not only would it be easier than cracking that fruity-egg-case, but it would also take up much less space. I figured out how to short the poweron logic (if it's different on macs). Perhaps I'll just take a multimeter to the imac and try to jury-rig an adapter that way.

EDIT: something like this.