Disabling unnecessary services on Vista

catnap1972

Platinum Member
Aug 10, 2000
Has anyone found (or made up) a page similar to the now defunct BlackViper site which told you what the individual services did and which ones you could disable without causing any problems? I'm pretty sure that at least a third of the junk that's loading on mine is useless in my situation and wouldn't mind getting some of the memory back.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
We spent a lot of time fixing machines here because of BlackViper. Short version is, if you don't know what things are, leave the default settings. If your not using them, they'll be paged out if you need the memory anyhow. A lot of work was done to optimize what services start (and when) in Vista, your not going to make a huge difference playing with it.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
I'm pretty sure that at least a third of the junk that's loading on mine is useless in my situation and wouldn't mind getting some of the memory back.

You just admitted that you don't know what the services do and yet you're sure that at least 1/3 of them are useless?

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bsobel
We spent a lot of time fixing machines here because of BlackViper. Short version is, if you don't know what things are, leave the default settings. If your not using them, they'll be paged out if you need the memory anyhow. A lot of work was done to optimize what services start (and when) in Vista, your not going to make a huge difference playing with it.

Precisely. You have *nothing* to gain by disabling services.

Chocolate Pi

Jan 11, 2005
You mean Microsoft didn't actually put in several hundred MBs of services that have no real purpose?!?! Why not?

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
Disable if you don't want the clock to synchronize automatically. Waste of resources. Update clock manually.
From the above link. One of the dumber things I've read.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: swamyg1
I've been using this as a reference, I'm not sure how credible it is but they seem to be right on about quite a few things to do with VEESta.

http://members.rushmore.com/~jsky/id31.html

Most of those are set to manual to begin with, which will never turn on unless you use a program that needs them. So you gain nothing by disabling them. There's a few that I would absolutely leave alone (Group Policy, Link Tracking Client, the IP Stuff).

I'd set to manual or turn off tablet PC services, if you dont have one. Thats fairly obvious. Maybe security center if you can handle it on your own, or WIA if you don't use digicams. And the RAM savings are miniscule.