Disabling mouse side buttons?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
i just remap the buttons to delete and middle button.
not sure whats so bad about side buttons, its nice to have more.

if it really bugs you just drill or epoxy them into oblivion.

May 16, 2000
i just remap the buttons to delete and middle button.
not sure whats so bad about side buttons, its nice to have more.

if it really bugs you just drill or epoxy them into oblivion.

If you'd read the thread you'd see that you can't remap buttons without either the manufacturers bloatware (which I won't install), or 3rd party workarounds. You'd also read why I hate them so much.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
all that trouble to avoid SetPoint... countless people aren't having trouble with it, so i'm guessing it isn't the software that has issues:p

jjmIII

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
I have probably lost a couple hundred or more hours of work in my life to side mouse buttons advancing or retreating the page I'm working on. They are the WORST idea ever...at least for me.

Any links to info on hacking the drivers? I won't install Logitech software other than basic drivers, it's cost me too many systems and is a wholly unnecessary waste of resources.

LOL...:D

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yea no kidding, the logitech software is so good at this point i have both a g9 and a mx revolution hooked up, each has its own key assignments and configuration utilities coexisting side by side with no conflict, and the g9 auto detects the application and changes the key binds based on that. Software works wonderfully, dunno wtf prince of wands is doing, but logitechs doing their job fine.

May 16, 2000
yea no kidding, the logitech software is so good at this point i have both a g9 and a mx revolution hooked up, each has its own key assignments and configuration utilities coexisting side by side with no conflict, and the g9 auto detects the application and changes the key binds based on that. Software works wonderfully, dunno wtf prince of wands is doing, but logitechs doing their job fine.

I have no doubt they've gotten better, otherwise they'd be out of business. Back in the early days it was known to fry systems (mine, my roommates, my family & friends, my clients included), and was an INCREDIBLE resource hog. Even now, if you can't show me that it has as small of a footprint as these utility programs from this thread, then its bloatware and will never touch my systems.

I run clean and minimalist, or not at all.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
resource hog? right now set point is using 12mb of my 4gb, how awful.

i think you need to get with the times, the reality is that it isn't a resource hog at all.

May 16, 2000
resource hog? right now set point is using 12mb of my 4gb, how awful.

i think you need to get with the times, the reality is that it isn't a resource hog at all.

That's nice. The programs suggested in this thread use less than 1/3 of that, and don't try to do ANYTHING except the few useful functions they were designed to do.

Major company software is total crap 99.9% of the time. It tries to do too much, in the wrong ways, insinuates itself into everything, includes wholly unnecessary or even counter-productive bullshit, has tendency to want to report home or perform remote checks, and in nearly every other way imaginable is exactly the opposite of what software should be.

Clean.
Minimalist.
Period.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yea......

sorry that doesn't make any real sense.

that is your personal fixation, nothing more. if it makes you happy fine. but it doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I can say this about Logitech Setpoint:
I was using an LX7 mouse and had programmed the 2 little buttons and the wheel button
for special use. An update to Setpoint came out and those buttons did not work even
though the codes were entered for them. I have since reverted to V4.80.103 which works
fine (and I will stay with it) unless I get a new device that is not listed in that version. See
the Logitech forums, as a lot of people complained after it went to V5.x

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
Not sure about that particular mouse, but a lot of mice store the settings on the actual mouse - my current Logitech G9x does and so did my 7 year old Razer. In that case you can install and run their program, change the settings, then uninstall the program.

Back in the day of single-core CPU's and <256MB ram I was like you. In the day's of quad-cores and 4+GB, not so much. I mean if it was really resource happy I'd have some reservations, but currently Setpoint is using a whopping 9,468K of memory. I'll take that for the auto-profiling on program launch.

May 16, 2000
Not sure about that particular mouse, but a lot of mice store the settings on the actual mouse - my current Logitech G9x does and so did my 7 year old Razer. In that case you can install and run their program, change the settings, then uninstall the program.

Back in the day of single-core CPU's and <256MB ram I was like you. In the day's of quad-cores and 4+GB, not so much. I mean if it was really resource happy I'd have some reservations, but currently Setpoint is using a whopping 9,468K of memory. I'll take that for the auto-profiling on program launch.

Except that not everyone is running a system like that. I don't have a single dual-core in the house even. An old Sempron is my monster atm, and only one system has more than a gig of ram.

Moreover not everyone has use for the 'advanced' features offered by the software. The ONLY thing I want a mouse to do is left click, right click, and wheel. Nothing else. Ever.

May 16, 2000
yea......

sorry that doesn't make any real sense.

that is your personal fixation, nothing more. if it makes you happy fine. but it doesn't make any sense.

I checked it three times, every sentence is well formed and rational. In other words, it makes perfect sense, you just don't want to agree so you're dismissing it. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean it doesn't make sense, it just means YOU don't like it. Fortunately for the rest of the world you don't matter a diddler's shit.

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
Except that not everyone is running a system like that. I don't have a single dual-core in the house even. An old Sempron is my monster atm, and only one system has more than a gig of ram.

Moreover not everyone has use for the 'advanced' features offered by the software. The ONLY thing I want a mouse to do is left click, right click, and wheel. Nothing else. Ever.

Well if installing the software temporarily to adjust the features you want is too much for your Sempron, toss the mouse in the garbage (or sell it) and go buy a basic mouse.

May 16, 2000
Well if installing the software temporarily to adjust the features you want is too much for your Sempron, toss the mouse in the garbage (or sell it) and go buy a basic mouse.

Already covered in the discussion above. I still maintain that as a basic interface function it should be addressable from within windows directly, and not require 3rd party involvement.

skm

Apr 24, 2012
I'm a lefty, and my ring finger rests on the thumb buttons, causing an unwanted "back" problem.

Solution is simple:

Just take a bit of gel-style super glue, and a toothpick, and carefully apply the super glue to the crack around the two side "thumb" buttons. Let dry for a few hours. Do it at night and go to sleep. When you wake up, your thumb button problem is gone.

Do a nice job of it and no one will notice it.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
I use optical thumb mice with dual and triple screens, and would never buy a mouse without the forward/back buttons which are essential to me at work since everything is now web based and also works great in Windows explorer too. I think it's the greatest invention ever made on mice. But to each his own.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Buy a cheaper mouse. Use Superglue.

Cut the wires going to the switch.

Use a different driver with not support for those buttons/wheels?

It does seem like every mouse just about has the back button/wheel. Maybe there are some cheap mice from china that dont offer that.

Last edited:

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Find a Logitech LX7 or LX8 wireless mouse. LX7 has 2 extra buttons on top, behind the scroll wheel. They can be set to do anything you want with Logitech Setpoint. Even Ctrl+ sequences or nothing at all if you prefer. The LX8 is similar, but the buttons are on the sides (again, fully programmable)
LX7
H-k31STIFHHAnPXm2MadFnhIcRAo6xQkL80JgiaV1tLTZJz2YLlmXCIOhW00hPypwrnmA2S8KwR1w6AojRyQj9azVB9oXt6uU4nX2wsCrUf2fcvh9EOX0g-Sbceqalk

LX8
jWR0yfnOu3JIVt8GKX6xk3Tfp1nSO4tbntFRWmIrd4bPV3BedSu-HHqxxdtp0TubR-3TK1ffNUIV4coyp0IP__5G3cHHyCzOPtyRXKsHwJjhtnb-4pdsJxMB6hqugCgQrtdQp2akNT_kevEe6vaa_s4sLVQvxq2u4G3AjWNnGdEF-BmMEo8-nWD_QQR18kFlc_uCVv0

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I use optical thumb mice with dual and triple screens, and would never buy a mouse without the forward/back buttons which are essential to me at work since everything is now web based and also works great in Windows explorer too. I think it's the greatest invention ever made on mice. But to each his own.

It was years after these became standard that I finally found a mouse that makes them accessible, yet not in a place that gets bumped accidentally (Logitech MX Revolution). Now I also have another (Logitech G9). Until then, I avoided those buttons like the plague. Now I can't live without them.

Almost all mouses with back/forward buttons have them positioned in a way that is intolerable.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
That's correct, I still use the old Microsoft thumb optical (bought a few of them years ago) which aren't even made anymore. The size of the mouse and position of the buttons are perfect for me and are unobtrusive. You can still find them on Ebay, but the prices are outrageous. There is a new Logitech M570 thumb trackball that has them, but like you said, the placement of the forward/back buttons sucks and the overall size is too small for my hands.

bb42

Jun 27, 2012
The OP is completely right, I just found this thread when I lost 2 hours work in OpenAir by accidently clicking that tiny button on the Dell mouse in the office (while I use another mouse normally).

It is not a problem of mice or mice drivers, but a problem of the browser.
Clicking on the back button in the browser should be the only way to trigger "back" - and possibly loose data. So the default behaviour should be not the read any other input from any device.

Mozilla is STUPID by letting a mouse click destroy the users work in this way.
So we need a solution in Firefox, and not by installing more software, or destroying hardware (although I'd currently feel good to do that).