Disabling ECC RAM in bios - is the result no ecc and still a 3% performance hit?

MadAd

Oct 1, 2000
Disabling ECC RAM in bios - is the result no ecc and still a 3% performance hit?

Or does disabling ECC return the chip to the performance level of non-ECC??

I dont expect anyone to know this straight off ... clues will do plz while i figure if its worth keeping or RMA'ing these CAS2 ECC 256Mb modules for unbuffered as they were supposed to be.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'd keep them. ECC RAM is more expensive so you coan re-sell it for more in the future. And if you want you can always enable ECC to gain that little extra bit of stability.

To answer your question though, if you disable ECC in the BIOS then the SDRAM will act exactly as would traditional non-ECC SDRAM.

GundamF91

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
The key issue will be whether you'd be buying more ECC ram or not. b/c you can't mix ECC and unbuffererd regulars.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
If you disable the ECC capability then you can mix ECC w/non-ECC. As in such a case the ECC SDRAM will effectively be rendered no different then traditional SDRAM DIMMs.

MadAd

Oct 1, 2000
Thanks guys ... its not like i care about the cost difference - £2($3) a stick ... no big deal there ... ive never run it before, never needed it- just if it can be both 1) mixed with non-ecc, and 2) perform as non-eec when disabled, then ill keep them :)

I would rather have the performance since i run 9x still, windows crashes me far more than a double stop bit ever could, lmao - if disabled they still came with the performance premium then id rma them. but it seems its a-ok ... thanks a lot guys