Dirt3: DSS Launcher failed to start...

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
So a few days ago Dirt3 just stopped working because of the error in the title. I did not change anything with the game (although there could have been a windows update). I have found nothing helpful on the intarwebs (a few posts with no resolution on other forums), so im guessing the problem is not very wide spread. Steam told me to eff off, and Codemasters now redirects to The Facebook. A pic of the error if anyone cares:

wmwU1.png

Suggestions?

Last edited:

byngo1

Sep 6, 2011
So a few days ago Dirt3 just stopped working because of the error in the title. I did not change anything with the game (although there could have been a windows update). I have found nothing helpful on the intarwebs (a few posts with no resolution on other forums), so im guessing the problem is not very wide spread. Steam told me to eff off, and Codemasters now redirects to The Facebook. A pic of the error if anyone cares:

wmwU1.png

Suggestions?

Hi, I have just got the same error, have had a bit of a gap since playing it fine before so it could be some changes made since I guess, like windows updates to net framework, Kaspersky anti-virus upgrades, catalyst control centre settings or driver updates?? I wondered, did you manage to fix it yet??

byngo1

Sep 6, 2011
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Yes I do use steam.
I downloaded the game through steam after receiving a free product key with my new GFX card (ATI Radeon 6770).

I was geting quite into Dirt 3 (not played the previous versions) but had a gap of several weeks.
Now when I start it I get the error mentioned above.
So far I have tried the following without any effect: -

• Validated game files via steam (thanks for the suggestion)
  • Paused protection from Kaspersky 2012
  • Run game .exe as administartor
  • checked ATI catalyst up to date (not changed since playing last time i think)
  • tried deleting the "game hardware profile" files as found eleswhere on forums from my documents.
  • Via the "REDIST" folder I re-installed the direct-X, Windows live, some 3D thingy and another which I forget. (All four files were in the redist folder).
I read elswhere that people have actually had to "crack" the game to get it to work properly?

Any other suggestions please??
I was thinking of deleting from steam and re-installing, never done that before with steam. Not sure my product key would work 2nd time round!!

byngo1

Sep 6, 2011