DirectX 11 To Be Announced This Month

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Blazer7

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: quadomatic

Still, I'm not sure why they would release Windows 7 so quickly. I don't think most businesses will even pick up Vista after Windows 7 is released. A lot of businesses only switched over to XP in the past year or 2.

But, I suppose it's not about them. It's about the suckers...

Whoops! I meant, the lovely early adopters!

No, it's about numbers. With Vista doing so badly out there M$ need something else, something they can sell to help them "maintain" their numbers. Vista ain't it so they need something else, something new, something that will work right for a change and will restore consumer faith in them. They hope that this something is Windows 7. I hope that they are right. If they are not, well............

bangmal

Jul 12, 2007
Originally posted by: Blazer7

No, it's about numbers. With Vista doing so badly out there M$ need something else, something they can sell to help them "maintain" their numbers. Vista ain't it so they need something else, something new, something that will work right for a change and will restore consumer faith in them. They hope that this something is Windows 7. I hope that they are right. If they are not, well............

Vista is just doing fine, you are just being feeded too much BS

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: bangmal

Really? You havent read the poor business adoption numbers?

Vista could be the greatest OS ever made, but that doesnt matter any more. The perception is that it sucks. Between all the media hype, and that guy on TV constantly telling your average Joe how crappy it is, it is a tainted name.

Lets just put it this way....my office has 300 licenses for Vista Business 64.....(Or similar variant) and there is exactly 1 copy of it installed on a laptop somewhere....

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

Vista could be the greatest OS ever made, but that doesnt matter any more. The perception is that it sucks. Between all the media hype, and that guy on TV constantly telling your average Joe how crappy it is, it is a tainted name.

Lets just put it this way....my office has 300 licenses for Vista Business 64.....(Or similar variant) and there is exactly 1 copy of it installed on a laptop somewhere....
In the OS forum someone posted a timetable showing vista adoption mimicking xp adoption. THe rate of business migration is a poor metric for determining the success of an OS. The inherent cost, conflict, and downtime involved in something like an OS migration means most businesses wait as long as possible to make the switch. This isn't exactly news.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: uclaLabrat

In the OS forum someone posted a timetable showing vista adoption mimicking xp adoption. THe rate of business migration is a poor metric for determining the success of an OS. The inherent cost, conflict, and downtime involved in something like an OS migration means most businesses wait as long as possible to make the switch. This isn't exactly news.

the crying and whining about it on these forums is just about as identical as the switch to XP as well

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007

O really? Why don't you do some fact checking first before you start spouting the dribble the tech press keeps feeding us.

Here is a quote from the OS forum from tcsenter.

Clearly you are being paid by Steve Ballmer. We know this because the "tech media" has incessantly told us that Vista's adoption rates are very poor compared to XP. See...

Intel upgrades to Windows 2000 six months after Windows XP was released:
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/...chooses-w2k-over-winxp

Sluggish corporate adoption of Windows XP:
http://www.computerworld.com/p...2/0,4814,74276,00.html

Microsoft offers new licensing terms and other incentives to jump-start stalled corporate XP adoption:
http://www.crn.com/it-channel/18821819

Three years after release, XP uptake still too slow:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/softwa...21,39151481,00.htm?r=8

Four long years after XP release, more corporate desktops still using Windows 2000:
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Windo...Win-2000-by-Years-End/

Oh, wait...

Blazer7

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2007

The last 15 machines that came to the company I work for were all downgraded to XP. This is Vista sales for M$ so yes in that aspect Vista are doing great.

*** edit ***

Downtime is important but if a company can gain something more from a new OS that it has already purchased and that something justifies the cost of the migration then it will migrate to it like yesterday.

Currently there're many reasons why companies do not migrate to Vista. Like all new OSs Vista have their fair share of problems and even more. There's also the hardware upgrade cost that scares many companies especially big ones with hundreds of terminals. Upgrading graphics cards makes sense only to a handful of companies, for the rest this is unneeded expenses.

And then there's that dreaded program compatibility thing. The first thing that a company will look for is not the new OS but whether it's existing software will run on it. Everybody knows that software does not always evolve with the next OS in mind and if the software developers do not embrace a new OS then the companies won't either. That said it is well known that most software developers do not like Vista at all. (Vista snubbed by developers)

Vista are far more appealing to gamers as gamers do pay for the big cards and will benefit from DX10, not to mention that the occasional glitch will be tolerated at least for some time. Nothing of this matters to the big boys. Graphics in most cases are not important and the occasional glitch is totally unacceptable. Right now it makes sense to downgrade to XP and that's what's happening out there.

Unfortunately for M$ Vista are falling sort of their target. However I do not believe that M$ will make DX11 Windows 7 only. It simply makes no sense to do that. As ViRGE pointed out the entire driver model was rearchitected for threading and virtual memory purposes and I can't see M$ changing DX11 architecture so radically that it won't work with Vista.

If not for anything else the DX11/Vista combo will give them plenty of time for fine tuning before Windows 7 comes into play. It would also be good for their image to let Vista users know that they won't be left out in the cold like the XP users were with DX10.

IMHO it makes sense for M$ to hurry with their next OS and if DX11 is a major feature of that OS it makes even more sense to release it as early as possible and test it in the real world for as long as they can. So it won't come as a surprise if they do launch DX11 much earlier than expected, at least not to me.

hotdogchef

Mar 1, 2008
How about a simple yea for progress that will hopefully improve and advance pc gaming ?I've got no hatred for new tecnology until proven otherwise. Just please don't make it a money making scheme without offering any benefits. Ok Microsoft?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
From my limited knowledge.

DX11 is no longer a feature of Windows 7, as MS yanked the requirement because of all the bitching of hardware requirements of Vista.

DX11 will be released standalone for Vista and Windows 7.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007

The last 15 machines that came to the company I work for were all downgraded to XP. This is Vista sales for M$ so yes in that aspect Vista are doing great.

*** edit ***

Downtime is important but if a company can gain something more from a new OS that it has already purchased and that something justifies the cost of the migration then it will migrate to it like yesterday.

Currently there're many reasons why companies do not migrate to Vista. Like all new OSs Vista have their fair share of problems and even more. There's also the hardware upgrade cost that scares many companies especially big ones with hundreds of terminals. Upgrading graphics cards makes sense only to a handful of companies, for the rest this is unneeded expenses.

And then there's that dreaded program compatibility thing. The first thing that a company will look for is not the new OS but whether it's existing software will run on it. Everybody knows that software does not always evolve with the next OS in mind and if the software developers do not embrace a new OS then the companies won't either. That said it is well known that most software developers do not like Vista at all. (Vista snubbed by developers)

Vista are far more appealing to gamers as gamers do pay for the big cards and will benefit from DX10, not to mention that the occasional glitch will be tolerated at least for some time. Nothing of this matters to the big boys. Graphics in most cases are not important and the occasional glitch is totally unacceptable. Right now it makes sense to downgrade to XP and that's what's happening out there.

Unfortunately for M$ Vista are falling sort of their target. However I do not believe that M$ will make DX11 Windows 7 only. It simply makes no sense to do that. As ViRGE pointed out the entire driver model was rearchitected for threading and virtual memory purposes and I can't see M$ changing DX11 architecture so radically that it won't work with Vista.

If not for anything else the DX11/Vista combo will give them plenty of time for fine tuning before Windows 7 comes into play. It would also be good for their image to let Vista users know that they won't be left out in the cold like the XP users were with DX10.

IMHO it makes sense for M$ to hurry with their next OS and if DX11 is a major feature of that OS it makes even more sense to release it as early as possible and test it in the real world for as long as they can. So it won't come as a surprise if they do launch DX11 much earlier than expected, at least not to me.

Precisely my argument. Businesses are throwing a fit about vista not because it's bad or poorly designed, but because it radically changed things under the hood. Drivers no longer have access to the kernel. Software is limited to where it can write files, etc. All this makes the OS more stable and more secure, which is what everyone wants. But all the programs that everyone still uses that are still trying to work under the old rules are now "broken". Not because vista sucks, because the old methods sucked. The amount of whining on the net about how bad vista is, how unstable, bloated, blah blah blah is just the growing pains of changing something fundamentally. It's going to happen sometime. That time is now, and then you hear all the bitching because of it. Vista was the paradigm shift, most of the other updates (i.e. windows 7) should be relatively smooth as a result.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
You guys are done talking about Vista's adoption rate. Talk about DX11 or I'm locking the thread.

-ViRGE