DirecTV setup question

CrimsonKing

Apr 3, 2000
I'm thinking about getting DirecTV and have a couple questions. I've had it before, but it was offered through a local satellite provider in my apartment, so they hooked it up (shared dish, just rent the receiver). I'm moving to a new apartment and got a DSL deal that was half the price of cable modem, so I told Adelphia to take a hike. So I'm going to call DirecTV. They seem to have a decent deal. Two TV setup for $39.99/mo w/ locals. Includes equipment.

Questions:

Is the equipment they give you any good? Should I look for a better deal that doesn't include equipment and find a better receiver?

How soon can it be set up? I'm moving next weekend (25-28) and would like to have it set up by the 29th. Is the lead time for delivery and the free installation a long time?

How hard is it to configure/set up? I believe I have a clear view of the southwestern sky. Only thing I'm worried about is the roof overhand over the balcony. What kind of angle should I expect from the Cleveland, OH, area?

Thanks in advance for any help.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Just take whatever receiver they give you, since it's free. Then go buy yourself a TIVO/Directv receiver. You will be happy for the rest of your life.

CrimsonKing

Apr 3, 2000
Thanks. But I've already got TiVo. I'm not paying another $300 plus $200 subscription. Once the primetime season ends, I don't watch that much TV anyhow outside of baseball, which isn't any fun in time-delay!

I like the interaction between TiVo and the DTV receiver I had before. Direct cable connect (no IR transmitters like with cable box!). Fast channel surfing.

Do the DirecTiVo units have the NIC/Series 2 software?