Have a buddy who works for them who mentioned they just did rollout recently:

http://www.directv.com/technology/4k

Now we just need CONTENT! :awe:

Edit: Looks like the satellite officially opens this coming summer

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Well they have to start doing something or they not worth having in many cases.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
It's only available for certain VOD content and has to be downloaded (pre-recorded) through your internet connection. There is no content that is being broadcast over satellite. Your TV has to be labelled "4K DirecTV Ready", too. The DirecTV IRDs don't actually support the 4k. You have to run the 4K as a separate DirecTV location (even though it's on the the same TV) with the TV's built-in RVU function.

This is strictly for early adopters.

Cstefan

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2005
My brother signed up for it with his new TV and it's HYPE. They ONLY SUPPORT SAMSUNG right now. They sold it to him with a Vizio TV. That's quality.

Currently only the following Samsung TV models are DIRECTV 4K Ready:

Brand Year Models
Samsung 2014 All Smart UHD/4K TV Models

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Blame the salesman. It's all hype anyway since their HD streams need help as it is. They're pretty crappy IMHO.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
That's not 4K service. That's using your service box as a connected device to play internet-downloaded content :rolleyes:

I think I'll just keep doing that the "old fashioned" way.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
It'll mostly be movie content at first, maybe some sports. Sports will be the big thing that pushes the technology. Don't expect the networks to upgrade to 4K anytime soon though.

Bell TV, which I have, shares some of their satellites with Dish. Wonder if they'll roll 4K out up here. Of course it will give Bell an excuse to make you buy a new dish, and lease new receivers at $arm+leg/month.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I hope they offer streaming soon. I picked up my LG 4K after Christmas and love it. The limited content looks AMAZING so far.