Github download:

Video by the guys who I think did the google drive link:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
More info:

Github download:

Video by the guys who I think did the google drive link:

you are correct that youtube video is where I got the google drive link.

Reactions: Ranulf

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ran it from my System/OS drive which is a Rocket 4. Got 0.52 second load.

Moved it to my 24TB RAID-0 array of three 8TB Rocket Q drives and got this:

1673927881900.png

Edit: Specs
Ryzen 7950X
RTX 4090
1TB Rocket 4
24TB RAID-0 of three 8TB Rocket Q
Win11 latest

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Win 10 22H2
i5-12400F
RX 6700 XT PCI e 4.0
Adrenalin 22.11.1
AData XPG1 Gammix S70 Blade 1TB (PCIE-4.0x4)

Bulk-Load-Demo.png

Win 10 22H2
i5-12400F
RX 6700 XT PCI e 4.0
Adrenalin 22.11.1
Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SATA

Bulk-Load-Demo-SATA.png

Last edited:

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
it will massively improves loading times
If loading data is the only bottleneck while loading.

On one of the TES benchmarks threads in CPU (I think the Oblivion one), a post speculated that there's a lot more going on that storage speed and having lots of memory - as CPUs made a huge difference there.

I know, an ancient game using an engine which was barely fit for purpose even when it came out (and Bethesda repeated that part with Skyrim and FO4 so will be interesting what the engine in Starfield will be like), but the point might still be valid: there's a lot more to loading a game than storage performance even if getting rid of that bottleneck will be nice.

Reactions: Leeea

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016

On one of the TES benchmarks threads in CPU (I think the Oblivion one), a post speculated that there's a lot more going on that storage speed and having lots of memory - as CPUs made a huge difference there.

I know, an ancient game using an engine which was barely fit for purpose even when it came out (and Bethesda repeated that part with Skyrim and FO4 so will be interesting what the engine in Starfield will be like), but the point might still be valid: there's a lot more to loading a game than storage performance even if getting rid of that bottleneck will be nice.
The bottleneck is almost always decompressing speed related and how the data is structured etc. This aims to solve the compression bottleneck and ensures that you can make use of that bandwidth (actually even improves speed because decompression is so fast).

Reactions: Leeea and Makaveli

pj-

May 5, 2015
I wonder if this tech will enable a PC equivalent of consoles' game quick suspend/resume features. I wouldn't mind setting aside 100gb of SSD space if i could suspend a game in a second or two and pick it up just as quickly hours later. That would be one of those small friction reducers that I think would result in people playing games more.

The fact that other stuff happens during load times doesn't mean storage isn't a significant or primary bottleneck, it could just mean developers were smart enough to use that time to also do other stuff.

And it's not just load times, games should require fewer compromises if the developers don't have to worry about fetching data seconds/minutes in advance of its use. Story cutscenes could easily jump between very different locations without special planning. Gimmicks like gates/doors with long opening animations could go away, tight squeezes between areas could go away, pointless elevator rides could go away.

A lot of the impacts will probably be subtle, but I bet games will feel increasingly "slick" as this matures.

Reactions: cherullo and Leeea

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Guys, if I am not mistaken, copying the folder elsewhere and running the .exe, runs the bench from THAT drive, right?

If so, here are my two runs, on my 8600k+GTX 1070, on the Gammix S11 1TB (placed on a pcie card) and my old SSD EVO 850 512MB.

I was running msi afterburner osd while running the bench and I noticed the gpu usage really did jump to 100% for a second or so. I wonder if it will run on my GTX 970 and Radeon 7950.

Reactions: Leeea and Makaveli

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
what games leverage this? benchmarking DS on its own is pretty meaningless. how does it improve game performance or loading times?
Exactly right. Until we see real games tested with and without, showing reduction in load times, it's absolutely useless.

I remember when NVMe drives came out and people were showing game IOPS to be thousands of times higher than regular SSDs, but it actually didn't make any difference with loading.

Even today, unless you copy files all day or have some kind of niche I/O workload, in almost every situation there isn't a lick of difference between the fastest NVMe and an Intel X18.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Taking the work of asset decompression and streaming off the CPU isn't a bad thing. Spiderman Remastered on PC, with max RT, is too much for a 11400 or Ryzen 3600 to hold 60fps. Even with "optimized RT" as Digital Foundry calls it, they can drop below when swinging around and in heavy action. They could handle it, if the CPU wasn't forced to do what the Series X and PS5 have dedicated hardware for.

Perhaps it is just me that thinks those CPUs shouldn't be on the struggle bus already because of console ports?

Reactions: Makaveli and Leeea