Directional HDMI

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
I've been using Audioquest hdmi cables for some time now and just found out about the directional arrows on there. I have all my components passing through my receiver to tv. If any of them are backwards, does that harm the cable or components in any way? Everything has been working fine but is there a difference ?

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Unless they are active HDMI cables it won't matter which direction it goes. I have read that some manufactures place arrows on the passive HDMI cables because they claim the audio sounds better depending on the direction due to the way the copper core is wound. To be fair I have not heard a difference myself. Active HDMI cables though amplify the signal and those will only amplify in one direction.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I thought some are directional because it allowed them to make the cables thinner and/or have a smaller head on one of the connectors. Just guessing based on the appearance of a Sony cable I saw at Walmart many years ago.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Hey Kartajan

From this Listing http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9172

Note that Active HDMI cables are directional. Check each end for markings indicating whether it should be connected to the source or the display device. Connecting them backwards will not hurt anything, they just won't work until connected properly.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
http://www.cepro.com/article/hdmi_corner_addressing_active_cables_potential_pull_up_problems

jtjML.png

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
Audioquest doesn't mention anything about being active cables on their website...

http://www.audioquest.com/hdmi/carbon

I'm using the Carbon, Chocolate, and Cinnamon cables going through my AVR. I remember when I was using a Monoprice Redmere cable which was active. But as I said, everything has been working fine. Someone brought it to my attention last night about the arrows and just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
HDMI is digital. It either works or it doesn't. There is no in between.

BTW - Audioquest cables are a waste of money.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Quoted from audioquest:

"DIRECTIONALITY: All audio cables are directional. The correct direction is determined by listening to every batch of metal conductors used in every AudioQuest audio cable. All signal conductors controlled for digital-audio direction in AudioQuest HDMI cables, and care is even taken to run the conductors used in the Audio Return Channel in the opposite direction to ensure the best performance for that application. Arrows are clearly marked on the connectors to ensure superior sound quality."

You're right giantpandaman2, audioquest's claim is a bunch of BULL.

Now I just checked their price list for HDMI cable, over a $145 for a 2 ft carbon HDMI cable o_O
That's outrageous!!!
Any $20 HDMI cable would be just as good. I have used redmere for years, they work fine.
Mrgrimm999 you're wasting your money.

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
Hey Kartajan

From this Listing http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9172

Note that Active HDMI cables are directional. Check each end for markings indicating whether it should be connected to the source or the display device. Connecting them backwards will not hurt anything, they just won't work until connected properly.

Yep. I ran into this exact issue when I bought some Redmere cables for a long run where a passive cable came me intermittent failures. I plugged it in and it just didn't work at all. Absolutely nothing. So I plugged it in in a completely different set up and it worked! Took it back to the original set and no go. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure what the heck was going on. Then I noticed a little marking on one cable end that said "display" that I have plugged into my receiver. When I reversed the connections, everything worked perfectly. I must have accidentally connected the cable the correct way when I tried my alternate set up and uncorrected myself when I went back to the original set up. I never thought in a million years that I would ever run into a directional cable.

What I don't get is how the Redmere cable is perfectly capable of support ARC and CEC. Maybe it's because sending that sort of data back over the cable is a much less intensive task than full HD video. Whatever. It just works.

Reactions: Number1

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Active HDMI cables are directional though if you want to boost the signal over a longer run then you have to place the HDMI cable in the right direction. Like if you need a 50ft cable run then active hdmi is the way to go. These active cables have a booster built into them and are designed to run in a certain direction.

Other than that they work both ways sure. I don't pay attention tot he direction of any of my cables except the one active HDMI cable I own. That one is 30 feet long and the other 30 foot HDMI cables I have tried would not work at that distance but the active cable works perfectly.

F16Squeaky

Oct 21, 2019
Just hooked up an Opotoma UHD60 projector in my new theater room. Had two HDMI cables installed during construction (behind drywall). Didn't realize they were active directional cables (Monoprice) clearly marked "TV" and "Source" at opposite ends. Both were installed backwards and the projector cannot detect a signal on either line. Does anyone know if there is any workaround to this issue?