DirectCU II VS WindForce II

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Asus gpu warranty (in the US) is terrible. I would take that into consideration.

mindbomb

May 30, 2013
gpu miners have looked into this extensively and concluded that the windforce is top tier.

Oh wait, you aren't looking at the 3 fan version. nvm then, I have no idea how this smaller version is.

Last edited:

janii

Nov 1, 2013
I have the shadow of colossus gtx 580 direct cu 2
Its huge, but its incredible.
Clocked pretty much to the limit
Watch dogs on maxed settings gets my card max to 75
Cant talk about the windforce. Never had one.
Im very happy with this. And its super quiet too.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
I've had the much beefier Direct CU II on a GTX 670 and the Windforce on the GTX 770. The ASUS was way quieter if a bit hotter running. Never had to RMA so I can't speak to that. I've had an HD 7770 with that Direct CU II cooler - noisy little sucker. I'd get the Gigabyte one looking at those two the O.P. linked.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Asus gpu warranty (in the US) is terrible. I would take that into consideration.
I have a thread open of my current ASUS RMA that I am going to update in a bit actually. In short, It's been nearly 3 months and the worst experience I've ever had with any company. Won't be buying or recommending an ASUS product again for any reason.

So to the OP, buy the Gigabyte card.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

I sway away from Asus due to this. Only experience was a MB tho....Still trying to get over bumpgates bad taste < for ref on vote with wallet, and time grudges can last.

Evga best bet for nvidia products.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I have a thread open of my current ASUS RMA that I am going to update in a bit actually. In short, It's been nearly 3 months and the worst experience I've ever had with any company. Won't be buying or recommending an ASUS product again for any reason.

So to the OP, buy the Gigabyte card.

Seriously? I heard it was supposed to be good. I have an ASUS card that I was thinking about sending back....

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Granted you'll hear more about bad experiences than good since people feel let down etc (see newegg reviews), but in this case I've experienced it firsthand with direct lies from the rma group. There are tons of horror stories about assus gpu rmas (<-auto corrected).

You can take your chances, it's just not worth it to me to risk dealing with them.

EdgeOfDetroit

Jan 13, 2004
After the Sandy Bridge chipset snafu, my Asus motherboard replacement was handled awesomely. And I waited around 10 months for it to start failing to do the recall/RMA, so it wasn't like they still had temporarily high staffing to handle the influx of RMAs.

My only other Asus RMA was in the 90s and it went back to the place I bought it, as I recall.

Just offering another perspective / experience.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
It seems only one of their RMA facilities suck. (Indiana IIRC) I actually have a gigabyte 7970 out on RMA. Will inform on how it goes.

It is easily the coolest card I've ever had. It stays under 78c under crazy load while under 40% fan speed. (More like 28% I think, but it died a bit ago so I'm not sure.) Near dead silent. It's quieter than my HD 7770 iCooler and PNY 770 GTX were. I did have a case fan pointed right at it though.

For reference. Same position, case, game, and everything.
GTX 770 1332Mhz: 70% fan, 85c
HD 7970 Stock: ~30% fan, 75c.

I love my WFx3 so much. :p

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Not sure which one is better, however I have the OC of the ASUS card, and have had no issues!

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
if you care about quietness go for asus, temperatures I guess windforce. (I have r270dcII, love it)

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
It's important to note that DCII and Windforce are really just brands. They're used on many different cooler designs, some good, some not-so-good.

I've never owned a Gigabyte graphics card, but I've owned a couple Asus "DCII". One was a 7790 with a rather small heatsink, a plastic shroud, and a fan that developed warbling issues, the other was the wonderfully silent, premium materials GTX 670--a card that I regret selling to this day.

Lately MSI's "Gaming" series heatsink design that they used on the Geforce 700 series has been getting a lot of attention for its low noise. I've got two of those, and they're almost as good as the Asus 670.