Dinosaurs return to life

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
:

They stumbled on a way to get cells from a 60 million old fossil.

actually they never did. You implied that's how they will recreate dinosaurs.

sorry if I missunderstood.

http://www.ncsu.edu/news/press_releases/05_03/075.htm
But the team was surprised by what actually happened when they removed the minerals from the T. rex femur fragment. The removal process left behind stretchy bone matrix material that, when examined microscopically, seemed to show blood vessels, osteocytes, or bone building cells, and other recognizable organic features.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Chryso
Can they mix it with pig genes? Think of the baby back ribs!
I think Japan is the only logical place to try it. They are already used to this sort of thing going wrong.

not yet.
They are only able to turn on genes that are already there.
This looks good for the poultry market !
:)

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: MrLee

Great so in 2058 we'll be raiding countries because there were unconfirmed reports they had Dinosaurs of Mass Destruction...

ROFL DMDs!

IamBusby

Dec 12, 2001
That's something I find funny with talk of bringing dinosaurs and mammoths back to life.

Once it's done you can bet it will be on a menu somewhere if it taste's remotely good.

Sad but true.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: paulxcook

Great so in 2058 we'll be raiding countries because there were unconfirmed reports they had Dinosaurs of Mass Destruction...

ROFL DMDs!

Can you imagine 20 t-rex on the battlefield ?
hrm, Jurassic War, the movie !

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Modelworks

ROFL DMDs!

They'd be cut down in about 20 seconds unless they had lasers on their heads.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
:

They stumbled on a way to get cells from a 60 million old fossil.

actually they never did. You implied that's how they will recreate dinosaurs.

sorry if I missunderstood.

http://www.ncsu.edu/news/press_releases/05_03/075.htm
But the team was surprised by what actually happened when they removed the minerals from the T. rex femur fragment. The removal process left behind stretchy bone matrix material that, when examined microscopically, seemed to show blood vessels, osteocytes, or bone building cells, and other recognizable organic features.
I also know about that too.

but they still couldn't extract any dna. they found bits of proteins.

However they did find, while examining another rare find (a mummified dinosaur), how the muscles attached to the pelvis and tail. It was completely different than what paleontologists previously thought. It explained posture and top speed.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: Jhill
I want to bbq a 50lb dinasour leg on July 4th.

Hurry up technology.
Yeah, we could start raising big herbivores, for everyone who wants bulk meat.

We could cure world hunger!

How would bigger animals cure world hunger?

They would eat all the people !
Problem solved.

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007

Several of the researchers said they expect to be able to re-create a t-rex like dinosaur in the next 50-100 years.

good. ill be dead before these godless monsters proliferate and destroy they the world.

unless engineers perfect the mechanoid body. then i want to be resurrected into a dino-killing-machine

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

ROFL DMDs!

Forget the movies... think of the sweet video games. No more guns... just running around with tanked out dinosaurs eating shit... Call of Dinosaurs 5.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
So is the DNA in amber theory not really true, or have we just not found any yet?

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
No DNA yet because they have not found those mequitoes encapsulated in hardened tree sap yet. Idiots just don't know where to look. ;)

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004

ROFL DMDs!

Hopefully the US will find a way to create a giant gorilla cause everyone who saw King Kong knows that one giant gorilla can take on 2 T-Rex pretty easily.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
No DNA yet because they have not found those mequitoes encapsulated in hardened tree sap yet. Idiots just don't know where to look. ;)

I'd like to know if this is really thought to be a possible way to find some? Or is it just wishful thinking?

It's not hard to find bugs in amber, but maybe it is mosquitos? There were probably other blood sucking insects around then too...

What about the plant life from the era? That would be really cool. I know its not hard to find pollen and such in amber.

But maybe there just isn't any DNA left after so long, even being so well preserved?

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Queasy

ROFL DMDs!

Yeah I was thinking they'd need lasers and some other mechanized body parts as well. Tanks and gunships are impressive and all, but if you're the enemy, seeing 20 dino-bots with laser cannons attached to their helmets charging towards your line would leave nary an unsoiled skivvy.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: m1ldslide1
Originally posted by: Queasy

ROFL DMDs!

Yeah I was thinking they'd need lasers and some other mechanized body parts as well. Tanks and gunships are impressive and all, but if you're the enemy, seeing 20 dino-bots with laser cannons attached to their helmets charging towards your line would leave nary an unsoiled skivvy.

Dino Riders